Team Canada at Glasgow 2014

I think we have every reason to be worried now. Canada is going to be fortunate to get to 50 medals if things keep progressing the way they are. We had FOUR fourth place finishes yesterday, we have fallen behind, Wales, India and New Zealand and catching Scotland is now going to be damn near impossible. If this keeps up, CWG Canada is going to have to undergo a massive overhaul and get people in there that know what they are doing. Some of our stars have stepped it up but overall the team is struggling massively right now. Only 18 medals and we are at the mid-way point? I have every respect for our athletes and the effort that they're putting in, I know they're doing the best they can on the day, but if we end up behind the above mentioned countries, then the organization has some serious soul-searching to do.

I'm not that optimistic right now that things are going to change. Canada is in big trouble.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never can understand why rhythmic gymnastics is even in the Commonwealth Games. It would make more sense to have trampoline and tumbling. Canada and Britain are internationally competitive in those

Can NOT believe that the women finished fourth behind Wales in Team Gymnastics They biffed it so badly on bars and completely blew it. That's the first time EVER that they've missed the podium in th

Oh and a 1, 2 in men's rings. So tied Delhi and Melbourne's gold medal total. The women's team should have performed better. With the results from the last 3 years to be beaten by Wales is shocking

I don't know about not catching Scotland:

From Delhi:

Canada 17 vs Scotland 2 in athletics

Canada 7 vs Scotland 0 in artistic gymnastics

Canada 9 vs Scotland 0 in diving

Canada 11 vs Scotland 0 in freestyle wrestling

Edited by Faster

So one of Canada's best hopes for a boat-load of medals starts today with wrestling.

Canada is in medal contention in most of the disciplines. 4 of the 5 with 3 being more likely than the other 1.

Weightlifting in the women's 75kg is a good chance for a medal.

Swimming: 1500m is a good chance, as is 400m women's, maybe in the 200m SM10 and women's 50m backstroke and in the women's relay Hopefully the team can win at least 3 more medals to at least tie Delhi.

In shooting the Queen's Prize is a possibility.

Gymnastics, decent chance in both events.

Decent chance in both mountain biking events.

Decathlon and men's hammer throw.

Edited by Faster

I don't think Stacey is a given.

Another 4th for you intoronto in men's mountain biking.

I don't think Stacey is a given.

Another 4th for you intoronto in men's mountain biking.

He is the number #1 ranked this year in the cw. Off course nothing is guaranteed.

Women;s gymnastics team in fourth, which is totally disappointing after the high of 5th in London. Moors didn't compete even though she was named to the team. A lot of changes in our weightlifting and gymnastics teams.

Jarvis with a gold medal.

Hey guys, we're behind Scotland and India and if things keep going like this we'll end up behind Wales.

...guys?

(Seriously, you guys where pessimistic even by "team Canada" thread standards)

I dunno. I've seen some pretty pessimistic ones over the year.

Yeah, but this is the goddamn Comonthwealth games. For most events it is a very poor predictor of how things would shake up if there was a full field. Looking at the medal count is also pretty silly because of how much the program fluctuates from game to game. Nearly half of Scotland's gold medals come from events that weren't there in Delhi and won't be there in Gold Coast City. A ridiculous amount of Indian medals from 2010 where from events that aren't there in 2014.

There is no cause for excitement or concern looking at the medal table of the Comonthwealth games. Individual performances can be a good indicator in some event (especially events like athletics, swimming and weightlifting where you can compare the performances with athletes that competed elsewhere). But the overall performance is pretty much meaningless. It's a fun event, but much of it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Edited by Fox334

Yeah, but this is the goddamn Comonthwealth games. For most events it is a very poor predictor of how things would shake up if there was a full field. Looking at the medal count is also pretty silly because of how much the program fluctuates from game to game. Nearly half of Scotland's gold medals come from events that weren't there in Delhi and won't be there in Gold Coast City. A ridiculous amount of Indian medals from 2010 where from events that aren't there in 2014.

There is no cause for excitement or concern looking at the medal table of the Commonwealth games. Individual performances can be a good indicator in some event (especially events like athletics, swimming and weightlifting where you can compare the performances with athletes that competed elsewhere). But the overall performance is pretty much meaningless. It's a fun event, but much of it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

You're right, the overall table and the depths of the talent pools are far too fluid to compare to an Oly or world championship ranking. But individual sports can give some good yardsticks.

There's those like netball and bowls, where the Commies are the defacto world championship.

For Rugby Sevens, it probably still is the de fact championship, at least till 2016. And it's still the best indicator of what's in store for Rio. The interest there will be in how any non-Commonwealth countries fare - if many qualify at all.

Then there's the mainstreamers like cycling, athletics and swimming. Cycling at the Commies is not far behind world quality. Athletics may be well down in talent depth, but as you say, performances here can be used as benchmarks of progress. And anyway, it's not that dismal a meet when you get the Jamaicans, Kenyans, Ugandans and Tanzanians competing. Swimming Australia always uses the games as a performance benchmark. We had a good games this year in the pool. But of course the bigger test will be next month at the Pan-Pacs where we come up against the US. Even then, though, a Gold Medal at the Pan-Pacs might mean more to the team coaches and statisticians, but Commies gold is far more prestigious to the public.

Certainly Australia, without any other second tier event like an Asiad or Pan-Ams to compete in, uses the Commies as a progress stop and benchmark platform in its four year Olympic campaign strategy.

Edited by Tunku Rols

There have been some disappointing results.

Jasmin Glaesser in the Women's Point Race

Women's team gymnastics (especially after the Pan-Pac performance)

4 bronze medal loses in Judo

Rugby 7's, after the season Canada had not getting into the top 8 was a let-down

Between Martha McCabe, Tara van Beilen and Sinead Russell not a single individual medal and a few semi-final swims that were better than finals swims.

I think wrestling should be elevated to a core sport because of the international caliber of Canada, India and Nigeria. Plus it is a very good test and development competition.

6 Canadian wrestlers are taking to the mate, 2 being strong chances and all 6 being good chances of a medal

George Kobaladze by far and away the best CW weightlifter in his class, by over 60kg by the last around of world championships

Ellie Black should medal in Women's All-Around

In Diving Canada is the favourite in both synchro events (the Malaysians are co-favourites in the 10m)

Drouin and Mason are both contenders in men's high school

Zelinka and Theisen-Eaton in women's heptathlon will medal

Gleadle is a possibility in javelin, as is Julie Labonte in shot put

Should be another good day. Hopefully can get to the 50's.