Glasgow 2014 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much entirely agree with Matty, UNICEF are a great organisation, of course, but it was over the top last night. I wonder if the Proclaimers bit was supposed to be the implosion, did seem a bit random. The other notable bit was the baton, the relay bit was really well done, until Imran got hold of it, that was so funny :lol:

I should also note, a highlight was seeing Betty so god damn happy.

Great to see a smile on her dial, really did look like she was enjoying herself. Far more relaxed than she appeared at London.

I should also note, a highlight was seeing Betty so god damn happy.

Great to see a smile on her dial, really did look like she was enjoying herself. Far more relaxed than she appeared at London.

She really does love the Commonwealth Games, they are pretty much hers since 1954. Very protective of them, as Magaret Thatcher found out...Prince Phillip seems to keep on going, but M'aam does look frail now, this looks like her last games she will attend in person.

Thought I'd give my opinion on the opening as I was there. Pretty tired this morning as did not get back to my hotel until 2am

The atmosphere in the stadium was amazing.

Although the UNICEF thing was different I just hated it. It was like it was comic relief or something but I won't say anymore about it as didn't like it.

Thee ottish segment at the start although cheesy I liked as it was a good way to include the whole country and give a fun insight into Scotland. I can give or take rod Stewart but the crowd liked him. Subo fluffed her words lol and wasn't that great.

Disappointed that flower of Scotland was not sung as its the national anthem of the host city.

The parade was good and the athletes loved it. The dogs were an excellent touch and so cute. The big screen worked well for the parade.

My most favourite part was Nicola bennedetti on the violin when the flag entered and I liked the flag going over the athletes.

Thebatonnot opening and the queens reaction just added to the humour and human touch of the ceremony

I liked the simplicity of the baton entrance and Chris hoy running up the steps was a good touch.

In summary this was nice t a big wow ceremony like a lot of people wanted but it was perfectly fitting ceremony for the city of Glasgow. Simple numerous and fun. Probably my one of the most intimate personal and touching ceremonies I have seen. Glasgow is hosting a games and ceremonies that other cities should be looking to mirror. Appropriate size budget and inclusive and personal to the host city not just the world. 8/10

I'm glad you enjoyed it in the stadium, and the atmosphere definitely came across on TV, especially in the moments just before the Scotland team came out with the whole stadium chanting. The athletes parade was done very well, I thought.

It's frustrating though because the scale and intent behind this ceremony was right for the CWGs, and yet I find myself wishing there was more to it - more stadium spectacle certainly. I was waiting for them to ratchett it up, but it never felt like it got beyond second gear.

I will say this, watching the sport and the triathlon, the crowds in and around the venues and on the streets are fantastic. After the great spectacle of Delhi's opening ceremony the first week crowds in India were very poor indeed. Although Delhi's ceremony blew Glasgow's out of the water, I already get the feeling these Games will be much better overall.

Thats the thing. Do u have a spectacular ceremony and a lacklusture games ala sochi or an appropriate ceremony and an awesome games. The ceremony was right for glasgow and the model of hosting it is representing. Glasgow is a smallish intimate city. Everything in he ceremony scots can relate with even the glitches lol

Thats the thing. Do u have a spectacular ceremony and a lacklusture games ala sochi or an appropriate ceremony and an awesome games. The ceremony was right for glasgow and the model of hosting it is representing. Glasgow is a smallish intimate city. Everything in he ceremony scots can relate with even the glitches lol

I had to do a double take for about a minute as you really did have to adjust from expectation to reality.

Years of watching OCs outdoing the next with people now expecting an Olympic event everytime seems unfair. Two hours was the time frame for the whole show but it as expected rolled overtime...but not by much. This looked more like a live show for an audience not a broadcast. So Scotguy in the stadium saw a full on stage show and probably got a better deal. The Commonwealth is trying to find a new relevance today and the games will need to adjust. Next year in Auckland they are going to thrash out the game's future so Glasgow is the benchmark.

I still think Manchester had a better OC but that was 12 years ago.

While I applaud the stance taken by the creative minds behind the Glasgow ceremony--- let's not forget that it is the legacy the British Empire left in these African countries that had created the environment that allows institutionalised homophobia to flourish. It could then be seen as a little ugly and condescending for the Commonwealth to then turn around and shame the very countries they bestowed theses values upon in the past.

You can't keep blaming their homophobic attitudes on what the British Empire once did! That was a long, long time ago and in a very different era. Most countries had anti-homosexual attitudes in those days and many had legal penalties against it, not just 19th century Britain!

Britain and most other Western countries have long since moved on from those days. It is the African and Caribbean countries who are stuck in a 19th century timewarp. In fact, they have got much worse. Now some of them want to make it a capital offence even to be of a different sexual orientation!

Many of these countries are all too fond of blaming former colonial powers for their present misfortunes and refusing to take some responsibility for their own failings. How perverse of them to continue to embrace even more determinedly one of the old empire's less welcome legacies, one which the former empire itself has long since discarded and now completely rejects! <_<

So simple, so fleeting, so loaded with a meaning and a message.... the highlight of the OC.

Lol...kissing a guy has long been one of Barrowman's trademarks. I think he has done it at least once in every single TV show he has ever appeared in (with the possible exception of Doctor Who). But it was even more appropriate as a smack-in-the-face gesture against the homophobic hysteria of some more recent sport hosting countries as well as against the sadly Neanderthal attitudes of much of the Commonwealth itself!

Captain Jack (John Barrowman) kisses fellow male actor in 'Torchwood':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1n37ht5GNA

ok, just finished watching it .

good bits.

the volunteers - even if it's not the first time these events had volunteers, this OC highlights them even more

chair dance and athletes parade - i loved that sequence. it's so inventive and welcoming. i also love that they gave athletes chairs. it might be a good idea for the olympics

the countdown - a bit of london 2012 but still great

cris hoy and the baton- no words, jut a funny bit of misfortune

the proclaimers- :wub::rolleyes:

bad bits

the john barrowman fever dream about Scotland - it felt more like that opening of eurovision rather then a games. (and not even that final. it semi-final 2). and who was that girl? is she the host?

no flower of Scotland :(:angry:

susan boyle- you had one job :angry:

meh bits

unicef- a great organization but it looks like they were hijacking the whole ceremony every time they pop-up

sign-bearers -Scottish terriers are cute but are too small to put the name of the country in it.

rod stewert- amy macdonald sounded better. what a way to waste money

Lol...kissing a guy has long been one of Barrowman's trademarks. I think he has done it at least once in every single TV show he has ever appeared in (with the possible exception of Doctor Who). But it was even more appropriate as a smack-in-the-face gesture against the homophobic hysteria of some more recent sport hosting countries as well as against the sadly Neanderthal attitudes of much of the Commonwealth itself!

Captain Jack (John Barrowman) kisses fellow male actor in 'Torchwood':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1n37ht5GNA

welllll!.......

ok, just finished watching it .

good bits.

the volunteers - even if it's not the first time these events had volunteers, this OC highlights them even more

chair dance and athletes parade - i loved that sequence. it's so inventive and welcoming. i also love that they gave athletes chairs. it might be a good idea for the olympics

the countdown - a bit of london 2012 but still great

cris hoy and the baton- no words, jut a funny bit of misfortune

the proclaimers- :wub::rolleyes:

bad bits

the john barrowman fever dream about Scotland - it felt more like that opening of eurovision rather then a games. (and not even that final. it semi-final 2). and who was that girl? is she the host?

no flower of Scotland :(:angry:

susan boyle- you had one job :angry:

meh bits

unicef- a great organization but it looks like they were hijacking the whole ceremony every time they pop-up

sign-bearers -Scottish terriers are cute but are too small to put the name of the country in it.

rod stewert- amy macdonald sounded better. what a way to waste money

welllll!.......

Lol...I stand corrected! He HAS done it in every single one of his shows!! :)

You can't keep blaming their homophobic attitudes on what the British Empire once did! That was a long, long time ago and in a very different era. Most countries had anti-homosexual attitudes in those days and many had legal penalties against it, not just 19th century Britain!

Britain and most other Western countries have long since moved on from those days. It is the African and Caribbean countries who are stuck in a 19th century timewarp. In fact, they have got much worse. Now some of them want to make it a capital offence even to be of a different sexual orientation!

Many of these countries are all too fond of blaming former colonial powers for their present misfortunes and refusing to take some responsibility for their own failings. How perverse of them to continue to embrace even more determinedly one of the old empire's less welcome legacies, one which the former empire itself has long since discarded and now completely rejects! <_<

Exactly Mainad. We're told by their leaders whenever we make comments on their affairs that these countries are no longer colonies and the UK should mind its own business. The legacy of 19th century attitudes is one that Britain left behind, the choices to continue some of those attitudes and in many cases harden them to the point of brutality are ones made by fiercely independent nations who disassociate themselves from Britain at every opportunity. Can't have it both ways.

Its also worth remembering that the "British" Empire was built and enforced by descendants of Australian, Canadian, NZ, S African and British people etc and so on. You can't just turn your history on at a convenient point... Commonwealth history has shared experiences and responsibilities for all the members. Sure, the supreme power was vested in London but not all of it, and not all decisions were made there.

Over all I liked the opening ceremony.

It had many attributes that the London opening ceremony lacked,

I especially like the musicals number in George square,
(I was expecting Danny boyle to do something like that at London ,
But as we all know he didn’t.)

And the tartan formation dancers placing the chairs in the stadium,
Was good choreography.

I like John Barrowman but I’m still note sure what I made of his opening song

Over all 10 and of Ten for feel good atmosphere.

Archived