Sign in to follow this  
jawnbc

zzzzz

I know I'm a bad Canadian, but can't these tedious, mediocre games be put down?

I know I'm a bad Canadian, but can't these tedious, mediocre games be put down?

...er...so why are you living off shore?... Edited by Alexjc#TeamKey

Hmmm, I've often wondered why the Commies seem to be targeted for being irrelevant and mediocre ,do the pan-ams and asian games get the same treatment. Granted, they are regional games and this is more historically based, but they are all multi sports events.

Second rate to the Olympics...... most definitely, but mediocre? I don't think so, no more than the others at least.

There are sports that the Commonwealth don't exactly excel in, but on the other hand, I doubt you'll see many more more competitive and emotion charge sports contests as you do at the Com's between New Zealand and Australia in netball.

The worlds best are there for sevens rugby, some of the worlds top cycling nations will be taking to the velodrome, the same can be said to an extent for a number of the swimming events.

I dunno. Too often we look at the Commonwealth Games as irrelevant because it is based on the idea of the sun never setting on the British empire. Maybe it's time we recognised these as a sports event with a rich SPORT heritage, set within the context of a rag tag bunch of nations who share a common thread.

• Like 4

The convenience of the CWGs are the fact is if gives us a two year window for some Olympic sports. But you do have to admit the Rowing champs, Diamond league, Badminton horse trials, Seven circuit are probably more important for NZ sports more that the Commonwealths these days.

I've always thought of the CommonWealth Games as a reunion of Commonwealth Nations through sports/competition and a recognition that they all are related, despite differences, and share a similar historical background (kinda.)

Career and family. Husband wasn't happy in Canada and since I insisted we leave Australia it would've been churlish for me to blithely ignore that Canada didn't work for him. Then a great job opened up in NZ and I got it.

Reasonable question :)

...er...so why are you living off shore?...

There's some excellent sport, but in many sports the elites don't participate--sometimes for good reasons. I certainly wouldn't've gone to Delhi, given the health situation there (ask Annamay Pierse about that risk).

But they're expensive to organise and there are only a handful of countries (Canada, Aus, NZ, UK member states, South Africa) who realistically can do so. Don't get me wrong: I'm a big fan of the Commonwealth itself.

I wouldn't hold an entirely different view of the regional IOC games, Fair point :)

Hmmm, I've often wondered why the Commies seem to be targeted for being irrelevant and mediocre ,do the pan-ams and asian games get the same treatment. Granted, they are regional games and this is more historically based, but they are all multi sports events.

Second rate to the Olympics...... most definitely, but mediocre? I don't think so, no more than the others at least.

There are sports that the Commonwealth don't exactly excel in, but on the other hand, I doubt you'll see many more more competitive and emotion charge sports contests as you do at the Com's between New Zealand and Australia in netball.

The worlds best are there for sevens rugby, some of the worlds top cycling nations will be taking to the velodrome, the same can be said to an extent for a number of the swimming events.

I dunno. Too often we look at the Commonwealth Games as irrelevant because it is based on the idea of the sun never setting on the British empire. Maybe it's time we recognised these as a sports event with a rich SPORT heritage, set within the context of a rag tag bunch of nations who share a common thread.

Oh honey, if Canada didn't work for him you should have found yourself a new burly Canadian man. :P

I like the Commonwealth Games because of 2002. Manchester was a wonderful Games.

• Like 1

I have a soft spot for the CG's having been involved in Edinburgh'86 but I think the future of this event is a bit questionable when you look at the number of top athletes who skip it.

Will be interesting to see whether the Commonwealth holds together after QE2 pops her clogs, let alone the CWGs. I wonder if a UK withdrawal from the EU could give it all new life (doubt it)?

I have a soft spot for the CG's having been involved in Edinburgh'86 but I think the future of this event is a bit questionable when you look at the number of top athletes who skip it.

Will be interesting to see whether the Commonwealth holds together after QE2 pops her clogs, let alone the CWGs. I wonder if a UK withdrawal from the EU could give it all new life (doubt it)?

Well I know Canada, Australia (who are trailing and leading the pan-pac trade agreement), Britain (EU) and some of the smaller African nations would like to see a Commonwealth trade agreement in place but only with India, Nigeria and South Africa included. India is reluctant because of the BRICs. But you also have issues with countries like Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and others that are kinda on the outs with a lot of members that would see great benefit in being apart of the trade agreement.