Glasgow 2014 Broadcasting

Not as bad as Sky NZ's atrocious presenter coverage, absolutely ghastly. Although we have five channel feeds going, we are relying on British commentaries and cross overs to roving reporters that bail up successful NZ Athletes are unprofessional and awkward. A big let down from their London 2012 coverage.

Overall, I've enjoyed the NZ success rate, our golds now equal 2002.

Apart from "Royals" being played over the Australian team marching out in the OC, the TV commentary coverage has been a terrible blemish...for me anyway.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, i'm not quite sure what the deal is with the Sky commentary.

Is it a host broadcasters feeds commentary which broadcasters can access? I note that we have the Kiwi netball and hockey commentators for instance. I must say too, I do enjoy tuning in to the gymnastics and yet again hearing the voice of Steve Robilliard, you know it's an Olympics or Com Games when you hear him.

But yes, I'm not quite sure why they haven't seen any many over, it seems like their host team is an extended the crowd goes wild episode.

Still, pleased with the amount of content we are getting, wall to wall on 5 channels is fantastic.

Anyone got a video cap of the official host titles - they're rather brilliant but don't seem to be online at all. You can catch them at the beginning of any BBC online/connected red button stream but can't record from that - and if they've cropped up on the red button nobody has capped them of yet.

Any list of World Feed commentators around - know the BBC have restricted themselves to commentary for I think 8 sports this time so are using the world feed for the rest.

Just heard one of the Sky commentators in the Weightlifting finals saying in passing the "next games in Brisbane in four years time"...and sounds like the same one who said the "atmosphere inside the stadium here at Murrayfield is truly electric" during the Sevens at IBROX.

As I've mentioned earlier the host commentary feed has been atrocious.

It's amazing how ignorant some are to the absolute basics of the sport or event.

Still doesn't seem to be a cap of the official host broadcaster titles online but for anyone in the UK you can see them from 1m 20s on the iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p023cy0l/commonwealth-road-cycling-glasgow-2014-womens-time-trial

Does appear that every session has been put on the iPlayer but it's nowhere near as easy to catch up as it was with the simple but brilliant online planner/schedule for the London Olympics.

Does appear that every session has been put on the iPlayer but it's nowhere near as easy to catch up as it was with the simple but brilliant online planner/schedule for the London Olympics.

It's weird, isn't it !

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/2014/schedule appears at first to make perfect sense. Click on a day, click on a sport, and there's a list of the relevant events. But try to get from there to the iPlayer footage and everything seems to go pear-shaped.

Woohoo...Made a complaining comment on SkySport's FB page about the low quality of our roving commentary team and their general unprofessional behaviour. Even asked them why no London 2012 professionalism. They responded in a typical SkySport fashion of indifference. Guess I'll be unsubscribing to SkySport on Tuesday untill the Rugby WC.

Just so you be aware for those in South Asia, the official live Commonwealth Games world online feed will be geoblocked in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Maldives, Nepal, Bhutan and Afghanistan because TEN Sports will carry them on TV and its website for the last two days.

Seeing the 12-hour world Commonwealth Games feed online broadcast on YouTube reminds me a bit of the old-school TV Olympic broadcasts with the bouncing around of events. Happy to see them since we Americans don't get much Commonwealth Games stuff, just not on the TV side. Online certainly helps. Like watching them when I can, but I would like to see more full event showings, more likely on demand.

Just so you be aware for those in South Asia, the official live Commonwealth Games world online feed will be geoblocked in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Maldives, Nepal, Bhutan and Afghanistan because TEN Sports will carry them on TV and its website for the last two days.

Seeing the 12-hour world Commonwealth Games feed online broadcast on YouTube reminds me a bit of the old-school TV Olympic broadcasts with the bouncing around of events. Happy to see them since we Americans don't get much Commonwealth Games stuff, just not on the TV side. Online certainly helps. Like watching them when I can, but I would like to see more full event showings, more likely on demand.

Hope they will do it for Asian Games too.

Archived