Glasgow 2014 Broadcasting

Television Listings By Country:

Canada

In Canada CBC will be playing the Commonwealth Games in local Glasgow time with a livestream available on their website. CBC will also run a highlights show.

England/Scotland

In England and Scotland the BBC will be broadcasting the games on both BBC 1 and BBC 2 television networks as well as coverage on the radio.

Australia

Australia will be broadcasting the games live on Network Ten. Most notably, Ian Thorpe will be in the broadcast booth for the swimming portion of the games.

New Zealand

Sky Network will be the main broadcast organization for New Zealand and the Pacific Islands.

South Africa

The South African Broadcasting Corporation will be in charge of coverage for South Africa.

When live results are available they will be added to this list. Make sure to bookmark this page for all the info needed for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

India

Ten Sports. http://www.tensports.com/event/other/commonwealth-games-2014

http://swimswam.com/everything-need-commonwealth-games/

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CBS Sports Network will be showing Commonwealth Games highlights starting tonight. I don't know if those will be taken from the BBC or not.

A real shame then CBC aren't giving it more extensive coverage if they're sending a pretty much full strenght squad to the games. I'd have thought with money tight at CBC filling more hours with coverage rather than less would be the most cost efficient way to cover the event. An hour of highlights at midnight is a joke - looking at their schedule they could easily have a live block of the key evening finals from 1pm to 5pm every day.

I agree wholeheartedly regarding the CBC. They seem quite capable of showing more on the TV side; all the other Canadian sports TV networks have other and bigger committments right now (Rogers Sportsnet has the Toronto Blue Jays, TSN/RDS with its CFL coverage). Could BeIN Sports Canada have done it too? Problem is, the Commonwealth Games lack the national currency from Canadian sports fans than it used to have and thus not as lucrative. Also, this, Toronto's Pan Am Game and Rio De Janiero 2016 will among the last hurrah for CBC in the face of serious budget cuts.

Thorpedo headlines Ten's 2014 Commonwealth Games coverage that Australia surely would dominante in Glasgow. But there's plenty of time to focus on the Aussie stars of the Commonwealth Games and the OC here in this promo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0B4tV77xVQ

Preparation is the name of the game and being at the ready--not to mention the athletes' prowess and the determination--with the BBC Sport 2014 Commonwealth Games promo from Sport On The Box:

Please forgive the lateness in my participation in this...

CBS Sports Network will be showing Commonwealth Games highlights starting tonight. I don't know if those will be taken from the BBC or not.

Just checked the CBS Sports schedule. It will show one hour each for the daytime and evening highlights each per day. Even the Opening Ceremony is reduced to one hour here. I'm thinking it will utilize BBC commentary until proven otherwise.

Just checked the CBS Sports schedule. It will show one hour each for the daytime and evening highlights each per day. Even the Opening Ceremony is reduced to one hour here. I'm thinking it will utilize BBC commentary until proven otherwise.

They will probably use world feed commentary?

CBC will likely hand over the reigns to sportsnet after 2016.

Doubt it, when the CWGF was giving the Canadian rights away for free in 2006 there were no takers and eventually CBC took them. You will likely still see CBC being the major player for CWG, Pan Ams, IAAF/FINA World Championships. Also it is CTV/TSN that are in need of major sports programming given the huge whole created by the lose of NHL rights. I would even say the Olympics are safely in the CBC's hands for the foreseeable future as well. When CBC lost the NHL rights they specifically hinted that they will continue to pursue events of significance to Canadians. Bell got snake-bitten by the 2010-12 Olympic Rights, have major renewals of the NBA, CFL, College football/basketball and the NFL. Plus MLS, EPL, F1, curling and now (thankfully) has the FIFA contract. Rogers has spent so much on NHL rights, plus MLB rights that they won't have the financial wherewithal to bid for much more, especially considering the NHL rights were a go-for-broke attempt to save their former CHUM stations; CityTV.

Doubt it, when the CWGF was giving the Canadian rights away for free in 2006 there were no takers and eventually CBC took them. You will likely still see CBC being the major player for CWG, Pan Ams, IAAF/FINA World Championships. Also it is CTV/TSN that are in need of major sports programming given the huge whole created by the lose of NHL rights. I would even say the Olympics are safely in the CBC's hands for the foreseeable future as well. When CBC lost the NHL rights they specifically hinted that they will continue to pursue events of significance to Canadians. Bell got snake-bitten by the 2010-12 Olympic Rights, have major renewals of the NBA, CFL, College football/basketball and the NFL. Plus MLS, EPL, F1, curling and now (thankfully) has the FIFA contract. Rogers has spent so much on NHL rights, plus MLB rights that they won't have the financial wherewithal to bid for much more, especially considering the NHL rights were a go-for-broke attempt to save their former CHUM stations; CityTV.

I was only speaking about the Olympics. I could see a bid by Rogers similar to the NHL bid, with the CBC being sublicensed coverage. Again, this may not be financially possible, but if CBC/Rogers divided the bill up a bit it might work. You bring up some good points, so maybe this is a pipe dream more than anything.

Catching the Ten coverage.

Now, I saw Thorpey on the BBC during London and I was impressed. Articulate and smooth.

Here he just seems bored and disconnected. Well, I suppose his co-host, Mel McLaughlin isn't letting him connect. I didn't mind her at Sochi, but here she won't shut up and let Thorpe have much to say or give him an opening. Looks to me he's even getting a bit annoyed with her.

Glasgow and the venues are looking good though.

SkyNZs wall to wall coverage is good but has some connectivity issues now and then. Thankfully they have the split screen mosaic channel going and easy to see which channel to pick.

On free to view, Prime runs NZ participation moments and will only carry live feeds if NZ is doing well, Womens Triathlon dropped away when Andrea Hewitt faded.

SuperSport in South Africa and across sub-Saharan Africa is showing the 2014 Commonwealth Games, particularly with Namibia, Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Lesotho, Uganda, Swaziland, and Sierra Leone. Even SuperSport Maximo is showing some stuff for Angola and Mozambique (another Commonwealth member). SuperSport 5/SSHD5 will take a broader look at the Games and SS7/SSHD7 will focus on African Commonwealth nations. SS9 will serve also as an overflow channel. SuperSport will go 24 hours a day starting today in its coverage with news on SuperSport Blitz along with VOD coverage and Catch-Up service

https://www.facebook.com/notes/dstv/dstvs-supersport-showcases-the-commonwealth-games/823007677724308

And with that, SuperSport's golden-themed African-centric 2014 Commonwealth Games TV promo

Southern Cross and Ten's promo for the 2014 Commonwealth Games that hit months ago

I agree wholeheartedly regarding the CBC. They seem quite capable of showing more on the TV side; all the other Canadian sports TV networks have other and bigger committments right now (Rogers Sportsnet has the Toronto Blue Jays, TSN/RDS with its CFL coverage). Could BeIN Sports Canada have done it too? Problem is, the Commonwealth Games lack the national currency from Canadian sports fans than it used to have and thus not as lucrative. Also, this, Toronto's Pan Am Game and Rio De Janiero 2016 will among the last hurrah for CBC in the face of serious budget cuts.

The thing is though if they don't show it they won't gain the national currency. Looking at their schedule they have absolutely nothing to lose by giving it fairly extensive live coverage - and put it in fron of Canadians and they might take the opportunity to really embrace them.

Catching the Ten coverage.

Now, I saw Thorpey on the BBC during London and I was impressed. Articulate and smooth.

Here he just seems bored and disconnected. Well, I suppose his co-host, Mel McLaughlin isn't letting him connect. I didn't mind her at Sochi, but here she won't shut up and let Thorpe have much to say or give him an opening. Looks to me he's even getting a bit annoyed with her.

Ian Thorpe is still part of the BBC team too - featured in the build up to the ceremony (can we really call that **** a "ceremony"?) yesterday and was in the studio this morning and this evening.

Tonight at the games is a pretty refreshing format,

Straight forward highlights seem to be dying out now - partly thanks to Twitter etc.but also think in the UK's case The Last Leg probably plays a huge part in that.

Ian Thorpe is still part of the BBC team too - featured in the build up to the ceremony (can we really call that **** a "ceremony"?) yesterday and was in the studio this morning and this evening.

Interesting. He's actually the co-anchor for the whole coverage Ten here. Well, billed as. Like I said, I don't think he's being served well by his co-anchor. Good on him for making the most of the occasion - I do think he's got the right ingredients for a successful future as a respected games commentator.

The thing is though if they don't show it they won't gain the national currency. Looking at their schedule they have absolutely nothing to lose by giving it fairly extensive live coverage - and put it in fron of Canadians and they might take the opportunity to really embrace them.

All the more reason why the Commonwealth Games would indeed do the trick for the CBC with all the other big sports TV properties up there now located on Canadian cable TV. More comprehensive Commonwealth coverage on the CBC obviously brings greater Canadian public awareness.

Graphics are cheepish but this is the Commies. Will admit the live feeds aren't all that great from outside venues. Lots of interference, but then that could just be the feed. Sky is awkward because there are no commercial breaks and you can tell in the feeds where there should be, thats why the OC probably had "gaps" in performances.

All the more reason why the Commonwealth Games would indeed do the trick for the CBC with all the other big sports TV properties up there now located on Canadian cable TV. More comprehensive Commonwealth coverage on the CBC obviously brings greater Canadian public awareness.

Despite people questioning the value of the rights Ten got their highest share in 2 years on the first day of the games.

Only a small point, but the TV graphics for these CWGs are much fresher than the tired old ones the Olympics still use.

Agree - they're quite basic but it's nice the CWG is about the only event nowadays where they get an individual look for the games.

Ian Thorpe is still part of the BBC team too - featured in the build up to the ceremony (can we really call that **** a "ceremony"?) yesterday and was in the studio this morning and .

I see Victoria Pendleton is returning the favour, popping over to Ten regularly now to comment on the track.

I was going to try and show the clip here, but couldn't get the link to work. Instead, here's a page link to a story about a really unfortunate interview by Thorpe and Mclaughlin with magnussen. Squirm material. I'm so surprised Thorpe's been so wooden here after the good work I saw him do with the BBC in 2012: Ten's most awkward interview

Archived