Sign in to follow this  
Sir Rols

Glasgow 2014 Broadcasting

To forestall all those inevitable "Is there anywhere I can watch the games online?" questions, for the non-Commonbwealth members here who might want to look in:

Action from Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games available live on YouTube

Viewers around the world will be able to watch live action from Glasgow 2014 online via an official YouTube channel for the first time in Commonwealth Games history.

A dedicated Games channel will be streamed on the official Glasgow 2014 YouTube channel providing non-stop coverage of events, which organisers say will concentrate on the best live sport available with regular short highlights from around the 13 venues.

The channel will run from the start of the first significant action each day to the end of the last live competition and will be followed by a two-hour long highlights show on the same day.

All the sports, events and venues will be clearly explained so viewers not previously familiar with the Commonwealth Games will get quickly up to speed, according to organisers.

The YouTube coverage will be available in countries where Glasgow 2014 retains internet rights, meaning extensive availability will exist across Europe, the United States, South America and parts of Asia.

"A single Commonwealth Games YouTube channel, streaming live, will extend the reach of the Games like never before and give sports fans the world over an opportunity to enjoy the thrill of the action that will be on offer across 11 days of world-class sporting competition," said Glasgow 2014 chief executive, David Grevemberg.

YouTube, which was bought by internet giant Google in a £962 million ($1.65 billion/€1.2 billion) deal in 2006, is an official partner of the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF).

CGF chief executive Mike Hooper commented: "I'm very pleased that the CGF and Glasgow 2014 have for the first time formally partnered with Google and YouTube to make these the most social and digital Games ever."

Glasgow 2014 is set to be the most watched Commonwealth Games in history with a global audience of more than 1.5 billion predicted to tune into events taking place in the Scottish city.

The Games, which run from July 23 to August 3, are set to be the first to be broadcast in all 71 Commonwealth nations and territories.

Last week, organisers announced highlights package deals with CBS Sports Network and TV Asia in the United States, while Television Jamaica will show live action as well as daily highlights in the Caribbean and Americas regions.

These follow on from previously confirmed deals with the BBC for the United Kingdom, Network Ten for Australia, Sky Network Television for New Zealand and the Pacific Islands, the Dubai-based TAJ TV for the sub-continent of India, SuperSport throughout Sub-Sahara Africa, the Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union across Asia, SABC for South Africa and CBC in Canada.

The deal with host broadcaster the BBC will also see non-rights holders in the United Kingdom permitted to use up to 90 seconds of Games footage from authorised sources per day, and the use of six short extracts per day on websites, mobile websites and mobile apps.

The Glasgow 2014 YouTube channel is already live and can be viewed here.

Insidethegames

Beautiful.

Not for Canadians. "The YouTube coverage will be available in countries where Glasgow 2014 retains internet rights, meaning extensive availability will exist across Europe, the United States, South America and parts of Asia."

We will be stuck with hourly highlight packages that are not live daily -_-

Not for Canadians. "The YouTube coverage will be available in countries where Glasgow 2014 retains internet rights, meaning extensive availability will exist across Europe, the United States, South America and parts of Asia."

We will be stuck with hourly highlight packages that are not live daily -_-

F*ck the CBC.

But wait. The website says the have live event streaming starting at 3:50am on the first day.

But wait. The website says the have live event streaming starting at 3:50am on the first day.

Interesting it was not there two days ago when I checked. Thankfully they will be streaming...

Interesting it was not there two days ago when I checked. Thankfully they will be streaming...

I'm hoping that it will be more than just one stream though.

Thank you. Which channel is broadcasting in US?

The YouTube coverage will be available in countries where Glasgow 2014 retains internet rights, meaning extensive availability will exist across Europe, the United States, South America and parts of Asia.

Catch.

Same for NZ...no You Tube coverage. Sky TV, Prime have coverage rights. TVNZ web rights. Sky Sport is providing "Pop Up" channels for blanket coverage as they do with all the major sports events. Prime will do overnight (for NZ) coverage of premium events.

At least it's live in NZ though unlike Canada. How strong a team do Canada send nowadays - it's a shame the broadcasters don't treat it as well as they should.

BBC is essentially repeating the model of the Olympics with full coverage on BBC1 (switching to BBC2 for the news) and BBC3 from dawn to dusk, then every event live through the Connected Red Button service. Sadly doesn't look like they're doing the same thing online - for the Olympics they had a great schedule planner online which you could just click on the sport to watch live (with aability to rewind) or watch a previous session in full.

BBCs coverage is so extensive because they're the host broadcaster. CBC will have live coverage online.

At least it's live in NZ though unlike Canada. How strong a team do Canada send nowadays - it's a shame the broadcasters don't treat it as well as they should.

BBC is essentially repeating the model of the Olympics with full coverage on BBC1 (switching to BBC2 for the news) and BBC3 from dawn to dusk, then every event live through the Connected Red Button service. Sadly doesn't look like they're doing the same thing online - for the Olympics they had a great schedule planner online which you could just click on the sport to watch live (with aability to rewind) or watch a previous session in full.

OC will be shown live, everything else is online. Canada's A team in every sport has been sent, besides judo which is a developmental team.

Canada's A team in every sport has been sent, besides judo which is a developmental team.

Yikes, so that could leave us with a bit of a decrease in potential medals...

We're the strongest Commonwealth team in Judo, but I wonder how a developmental team will fair.

F*ck the CBC.

Easy way to do so: unblockus.com

Pshhh. that costs money. Just install a FREE browser extension and that should do the trick.

Here are some I've found:

FIREFOX:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/proxmate/?src=ss (ProxMate)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hola/?src=ss (Hola Unblocker)

CHROME:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zenmate/fdcgdnkidjaadafnichfpabhfomcebme?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon (ZenMate)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/browsec/omghfjlpggmjjaagoclmmobgdodcjboh?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon (Browsec)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-better-internet/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon (Hola Better Internet [same as Hola Unblocker?])

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dotvpn-free-and-secure-vp/kpiecbcckbofpmkkkdibbllpinceiihk?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon (DotVPN)

OPERA:

https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/proxmate/?display=en (ProxMate)

https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/zenmate-for-operatm/?display=en (ZenMate)

I usually connect to the BBC iPlayer (UK) or Tvplayer.com (UK) cuz that's the only one I know of, but I hear Zattoo (Germany, Switzerland, Spain, France, Denmark, Luxembourg) works, too. I don't think iTV (UK) is streaming it, but if they are you can use their player, too.

Wow, thanks guys. I will for sure be connecting to the BBC site because they will have live streams of every event.

Wow, thanks guys. I will for sure be connecting to the BBC site because they will have live streams of every event.

Nvm. It doesn't seem to work on there.

Hopefully BBC can resolve the issue before the start of the CWG

Nevermind. The second plug in on firefox works. Awesome!

We're the strongest Commonwealth team in Judo, but I wonder how a developmental team will fair.

Two of them are the world junior champions from last year. So hopefully good!

• Like 1

With more favourable sports program and sending a stronger team Canada should see an improvement over 2010.

With more favourable sports program and sending a stronger team Canada should see an improvement over 2010.

I know. I was talking about strictly judo.

A real shame then CBC aren't giving it more extensive coverage if they're sending a pretty much full strenght squad to the games. I'd have thought with money tight at CBC filling more hours with coverage rather than less would be the most cost efficient way to cover the event. An hour of highlights at midnight is a joke - looking at their schedule they could easily have a live block of the key evening finals from 1pm to 5pm every day.

P.S. Notice British Eurosport also has coverage for the first time that I remember - an hour of highlights each morning from the previous night and an hour in the evening from the morning session. Strangely doesn't seem to be on the European version - I assumed the reason British Eurosport might be screening it is because they had rights across Europe.

:) Sky Sports in NZ have activated their four pop up channels for the wall to wall coverage of the CWGs. At the moment they are alternating live aerial shots from Glasgow Green and Kelvingrove Art Gallery.