Thoughts about the continental games

I have a thought I would like to share with you all.

We have the following Continental games as i know of at this point

Asian Games
African Games

Pan American Games

Oceanien Games
European Games

All will from 2019 take place one year before the Olympic game, when Asia move there games one year.

Why not make all these games take place at the same 2 weeks? It would then be much easier for the internationally federations to adjust there internationally calenders for one period, and not 5 different period, and perhaps then athletics and other big sports will be more interested in participating.

I don´t think any in southamerica are interesting in the Asian games, or that someone in Europe Watch the african games, or Australian Watch from America. So why not make these 5 Continental games in the same 2 weeks? Then can the athletes in sports where time is a deal, running, swimming etc, look what would it give me next year to compare its times with the others and so on. I really think this could boost the different Continental games one year before the Olympic games.

I´m not saying that the sports for each of the Continental games should all be the same. Not at all, but there are ofcourse many of the same sports. And therefore i think a it would be a good idea to have them all at the same time. Or some of them at least, if climate is a problem for them all to be at the same time, then every time have 2 weeks in june and 2 weeks in september as an option, and then it depends on the host citys cllimate wich period they pick.

And for athletics I don´t see why it is a problem to compete at European games with the best athletes. The Olympic years they also have the European Championschip a couple a months before, so why not have a European Games a couple a months before the World Championschip?

Well thats just my thoughts about it :)

Kindly regards

Hans

Yes im aware of the climate but how big a deal is it? As I pointed out we could make 2 period then, in stead of 5. But for my recall the Olympics has since 92 been first of august, except Sidney which were last in september.

And regarding that some one wants to follow 2 Things, well yes of course there will be someone, but the majority won´t, and the local media don´t care for the other games. Here in Denmark I have never seen anything from any of the other games. I actually think, that if it would be on the same time, it would be mentioned more in local media in the daily summerys when it would be comparing its games with the others and so. But how do you follow the games in both America and Asian? Live tv-coverage for both games?

Yes im aware of the climate but how big a deal is it? As I pointed out we could make 2 period then, in stead of 5. But for my recall the Olympics has since 92 been first of august, except Sidney which were last in september.

And regarding that some one wants to follow 2 Things, well yes of course there will be someone, but the majority won´t, and the local media don´t care for the other games. Here in Denmark I have never seen anything from any of the other games. I actually think, that if it would be on the same time, it would be mentioned more in local media in the daily summerys when it would be comparing its games with the others and so. But how do you follow the games in both America and Asian? Live tv-coverage for both games?

The magic of the internet. The magic of the internet, son.

Interesting idea, but hardly feasible in my view. Two reasons have already been mentioned: Different climate zones, the overall logistical task for the sports federations. I also think the organisers of the respective Games wouldn't like to share the (already restrained) media attention with four other continental Games at the same time. Just imagine this scenario: At the Asian Games, an athlete of the likes of Liu Xiang sets a new world record in 110 metres hurdles. On the very same day, an athlete of the likes of Usain Bolt sets a new world record in the men's 100 metres at the Pan American Games. Who will get the most media attention globally? Certainly Bolt - and the Pan American Games, while the Asian Games with their world record are in the back seat.

No ways...

- climate problems (not the same seasons)

- logisticd problems (some event experts and providers are working on all those events)

- media problems (difficult to rase the interest on a specific events)

- sponsors problems (often some same compagnies are sponsoring those events)

- sport problems (the IFs would not be able to be all arount the world at the same time !)

The Pacific Games have only just made a ruling to allow Australia and New Zealand compete in them, and only then, in a couple of sports - sevens , weightlifting, taekwando and sailing (odd mix).

I really don't see them being able to wiggle their way in any further, as they would completely dominate.

The Pacific Games have only just made a ruling to allow Australia and New Zealand compete in them, and only then, in a couple of sports - sevens , weightlifting, taekwando and sailing (odd mix).

I really don't see them being able to wiggle their way in any further, as they would completely dominate.

More likely, Australia would dominate.

As trying to find a "second tier" regional multisport event for these two nations to participate, the only place would be the Pan Ams! The ASEAN Games, technically is where we should be but I got a feeling we would be given the cold shoulder by other nations, we just don't fit in.

Archived