The 4th star for Germany

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when you look closely you can see a poster at the US-embassy (which is the building on the most right), which reads: the USA congratulates Germany

]

Just seen a joke about the embassy:

"400,000 people outside US embassy protest against NSA spy affair" :-))

My god these 120+5 minutes were nerve-wrecking - I am so glad that we won the 4th star - thanks Brazil for such wonderful World Championships!!! It is a honour that Christo the Redeemer wears black, red, gold!!!!

The curse of the "4"'s....just like the "8"'s Olympic years for Asia...except that ended with Tokyo 2020. So the next one will be 2034?? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzPo_Hk-L6I

In this little jig, the team contrasted Argentines and Germans.

"This is how the gauchos walk, the gauchos walk like this," chanted the Germans,

mocking the South Americans as a hunched-over, short and little people.

Then came the Germans.

"This is how the Germans walk, the Germans walk like this."

Back straight. Tall. Proud. Superior?

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/07/16/racist-or-playful-the-german-soccer-teams-gaucho-dance/

I'm not German, though ^_^

Part of Argentine media are accusing the German players of racism. Another reading of the 'gaucho dance' is that of the gauchos being sad and hunched-over because of their defeat and not because of the stature or anything like that.

Don't know what to think about it...

well - the players didn't want to mock Argentina - it was more linked with sadness like Victor has already said - it has nothing to do with a racism...

By the way it isn't the first time that this walk was done on a Fan Fest- it was done in 2008 with "Spaniard walk this way" by a German stand-up comedian and there was not such reaction - maybe since Spain won the title in 2008 against Germany in the final...

at 2:37

well - the players didn't want to mock Argentina - it was more linked with sadness like Victor has already said - it has nothing to do with a racism...

Yes they did.

Only the blind or those who don't want to see would say that.

"Sadness" indeed! Who are you kidding?

By the way it isn't the first time that this walk was done on a Fan Fest- it was done in 2008 with "Spaniard walk this way" by a German stand-up comedian and there was not such reaction - maybe since Spain won the title in 2008 against Germany in the final...

at 2:37

Hardly the same situation. Your clip is from a stand-up comedian in a country that had lost the WC.

In this case we're talking about a victorious team mocking the losing team. Not very elegant, is it?

BTW you only won by one goal to nil in extra time. Hardly a victory to gloat about.....

As I said earlier, they spoilt the party and have lost the respect of fans worldwide.

If they had any sense they would publicly apologise.

Yes they did.

Only the blind or those who don't want to see would say that.

"Sadness" indeed! Who are you kidding?

Hardly the same situation. Your clip is from a stand-up comedian in a country that had lost the WC.

In this case we're talking about a victorious team mocking the losing team. Not very elegant, is it?

BTW you only won by one goal to nil in extra time. Hardly a victory to gloat about.....

As I said earlier, they spoilt the party and have lost the respect of fans worldwide.

If they had any sense they would publicly apologise.

Did you read the post of Victor? My post is in context with his post...

By the way Niersbach, the president of the German Football Association, has already send a letter to the president of the Argentinean Football Association...

Did you read the post of Victor? My post is in context with his post...

By the way Niersbach, the president of the German Football Association, has already send a letter to the president of the Argentinean Football Association...

Niersbach is not the one who did the stupid dance and ridiculed himself and his country.

by the way this "dance" wasn't my taste either and I agree it was stupid, but I don't think that it had anything to do with racism - it was more about to show that they are the lucky winners and that Argentina was the unlucky (sad) losers - and that was exactly what didn't fit with my taste - but I think this stupid dance is paid too much attention...

by the way this "dance" wasn't my taste either and I agree it was stupid, but I don't think that it had anything to do with racism - it was more about to show that they are the lucky winners and that Argentina was the unlucky (sad) losers - and that was exactly what didn't fit with my taste - but I think this stupid dance is paid too much attention...

If the dance is given so much attention by the media it's for very obvious historical reasons......

If the dance is given so much attention by the media it's for very obvious historical reasons......

It was a stupid idea, but you are going to far to draw a connection between the Third Reich and this dance...

The reaction of the media was more on the level, that this dance was stupid and might be misunderstood in Argentina...

The "racism" accusation is also far-fetched considering that some of the winning team are most obviously not "pure" Germans.

It was a stupid thing to do, happening in the heat of the winning atmosphere, but it's completely overinterpreted IMHO.

Archived