How did Brazil 2014 fare?

Again, I'm not getting into another flame war over the preparations. Many would agree that the preparations were worrying.

Many agree, in fact, this was one of the best WC (many are even saying it was the best). IF the prep. were a disaster as you point out, how could the event be a success? magic?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Psst, Tony, the point of preparations is to deliver in the end. That's how you judge them.

Psst Zeke, things were rushed in the end and some people actually died on some of the building sites of the rushed stadiums. I wouldn't go as far as to say the preparations were a disaster but they were nowhere near perfect. Preparations can be judged on much more than the success of the event itself. I judge Beijing 2008 on the fact they diverted water supplies away from local towns towards their Olympic Park. I judge Sochi on the fact they left rubble heaps near people's houses, and on the huge backhanders that enriched Putin's inner circle taking money that could've been spent elsewhere. I judge London on the green promises which weren't met on some of the construction sites and for creating a saga of its stadium legacy. All of these are things future hosts will look at and want to do better at. You can seperate the success of the event from its preparations and in the debrief and working groups that will move forward to work with Russia and Qatar, that will happen.

There's no point focussing on the negative though when there's so much positive to focus on. This World Cup has been a big success, as I said in my previous post.

Brazil has done itself very proud, but let's not rewrite history. Apart from anything else, it's unecessary given how successful the World Cup was overall. Take the good with the bad, be proud of what you've acheived, and move on

I'm not getting into a flame war over the preparations. It's nearly over now. Many of us would agree that the preparations were a disaster, but let's move forward. The Media did exaggerate at times, but the preparations were far from perfect.

I don't agree.

Many agree, in fact, this was one of the best WC (many are even saying it was the best). IF the prep. were a disaster as you point out, how could the event be a success? magic?

.....it's like Athens I guess, sort of disorganized with the huge projects that had been taken on but after many delays, problems and nervousness, arguing, drama etc. etc. pulling it off in the nick of time with stadiums (almost) complete. Of course fans don't care as long as they can get to their seats and see the matches....and that part did happily go off....and that's all that really matters right Brazil?

.....the tournament did seem to change Brazil and how Brazil is seen by some of the rest of the world and maybe how Brazil sees itself. The next generations have many things to remember. I guess we have to see how it all ends before we make a final call whether it was all worth it and would you do it again.

No, no Jäger this time, even if Jäger is "brewed" in my birthtown we choose a brazilian style drink. (and beer)

Oh I had 2 cans of imported Brahma and Skol for the first Brazil games.

Brazil did an awesome job hosting. Boy am I excited for Rio 2016. It may just be the most scenic Olympics ever. The aerial shots of the Maracana and Copacabana are incredible, and I can't even imagine how awesome the road races will look on tv in 2016. So much stress in the lead up to the World Cup, but the games on the pitch ended up making all of that stress go away. So many goals and so much excitement has made me a bit of a soccer fan, I must admit.

So so so happy about the final too. Proud to be German and a fan of that team. Such a talented group of guys.

Croatia disappointed me in the sweep, but whatever. I didn't expect much from them. Costa Rica became my feel good favourite after their incredible run. Would have been awesome to see them in the semis, mais c'est la vie. The US team also got me pretty excited too, and to see all the Americans unite behind them was pretty cool. I made the sad mistake of cheering for England again cause they let me down once more. That being said, the future looks bright for 2016 and 2018! Finally, what can you say about Brazil's team that hasn't been said already. Such a shame to see the host nation go out in that fashion. Definitely time for a rebuilding period for Brazilian football, because guys like Fred are just not going to get the job done.

All in all, the Brazilians were a very gracious host. It was awesome to see the beautiful game celebrated in such a festive nation with such happy people. They should be proud of what they did despite the results. They will be in for a treat in a couple years when Brazil emerges onto the world stage as a sporting power.

This World Cup has also got me excited about soccer here at home. I'm going to for sure follow Canada's gold cup and Copa America and World Cup qualification quests much more closely now. I'd love to see them there in 2018, but realistically in 2022. The news about us bidding for 2026 and opening up our own national league is a big positive.

Anyways, here's to Rio 2016! Well done Brazil, and we can't wait for another party in two years time!

After all the prognosticators saying "Brazil won't be ready" the stadiums won't be finished in time all this and that. Brazil has managed to prove everyone wrong. Everything was ready. the stadiums were full and the atmosphere was enthusiastic, the fans were great and the games were more than entertaining. All in all, I have to say after a month of this competition that this has been the best World Cup ever and possibly of all time.

The World Cup was amazing, until after the match Argentines decided to burn Brazilian flags and destroy urban stuff in Copacabana district...

http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/apos-derrota-argentinos-provocam-tumulto-em-copacabana-13245110?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=O%20Globo

2014071340146.jpg

2014071340163.jpg

:angry:

My final thoughts about WC will come tomorrow

brazil did great. it was a cool world cup, and i won the GB sweep.

i really doubt there will be any problems with rio in two years. if there are some minor ones, i'm sure it's nothing a little duct tape can't fix. it's a lot more scrutiny, but i think they're up to it. moreso than sochi, actually.

actually, come to think of it, i won the GB sweep so.

brazil did great. it was a cool world cup, and i won the GB sweep.

i really doubt there will be any problems with rio in two years. if there are some minor ones, i'm sure it's nothing a little duct tape can't fix. it's a lot more scrutiny, but i think they're up to it. moreso than sochi, actually.

actually, come to think of it, i won the GB sweep so.

You won, Krow!!! We already know that! Congrats!

Duct tape fix everything! Rio is buying a lot of them ahead the games - wise move from Rio authorities B)

i just figure if you read that i won enough times, you'll dream about it, and then i can die happy. if you dream about me winning the sweep that would be almost as amazing for me as winning the sweep, which i just did.

Yeah, but you're not understanding the concept; he won. w-o-n. γουόν. ウォン. 韩元. 원. وون. te genyen. von. గెలిచింది. gba. уон. irabazi. qazandı. வெற்றி!

I'm starting to figure out... How long will it take?

The actual Tournament was a success. My 3rd Favourite World Cup of all Time. Of course, the First Fifa World Cup I remember was Germany 2006. I've watched alot of the old Fifa World Cup History Tournaments from a long long time ago. My Favourite would obviously be England 1966, that's a special one for me, which I kind of wish I could of seen live, but I didn't exist then. My Second Favourite was Germany 2006. I also liked France 1998. So, out of 20 Fifa World Cups, Brazil 2014 ranks 4th on my personal Favourites. The Preparations were a disaster, but the Tournament was eventually an excellent and successful Fifa World Cup. I wouldn't like the idea of a Brazil 2022. It's too near to Brazil 2014. Overall, the World Cup was a success.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Didn't pay attention to that...

he watched all 2,500 games on youtube, duh.

i mean, hasn't everyone?

Shhhhh When he discovers England didn't played any World Cup 'til 1950 and then they got defeated by an amateur team of the USA, he will get in shock.

Archived