How did Brazil 2014 fare?

There were calls for a verdict thread, as it has become tradition on this board, so here it comes - since I can't sleep anyway.

I know this is a difficult situation for the host country Brazil - but I myself can only say that my verdict for how they hosted this 2014 World Cup couldn't be better, any maybe this will cheer our Brazilian friends up a little.

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed what a festival of football Brazil staged. And I stress that even if FIFA owns this tournament, for me this is still Brazil's tournament - without them, this World Cup would have been only an empty shell.

The quality of this tournament was probably not very surprising, judging only by the fact how deep football is rooted in Brazil's culture - but after all the protests, the doubts, the spiralling costs, the FIFA scandals et cetera, this success was really not self-evident. Judging by all reports here in Germany, Brazil was a safe and happy place for supporters from all over the world to celebrate four weeks of football. The Brazilians were warm and enthusiastic hosts - just like my signature states.

We saw a tournament with a drastically increased goal average - that is certain already now, before the final match of this World Cup will be played in about 17 hours. We saw a festival of offensive playing during most of the group matches, with rather tactical play entering the stage only for the knock-out matches.

This World Cup also created iconic and historical moments, starting with the Netherlands' 5-1 victory over Spain and the successive elimination of the World and double European Champion, leading up to the mind-blowing semi-final between Germany and Brazil. We saw also other former champions stumble, with England and Italy being eliminated already in the group stage. And in return, we saw the rise of underestimated teams like Costa Rica and Algeria which played a highly courageous World Cup. And these are only the most remarkable of quite many remarkable football moments during this tournament.

Of course, there were shambolic or at least less glorious moments, too. The performance of the referees at this tournament was abysmal at times, the Algerian referee's showing at tonight's 3rd place match was just the latest and one of the saddest examples for that. There's the white elephant problem waiting in the wings at least for Manaus' World Cup stadium, while municipalities all around Brazil are waiting for money for their schools and hospitals. There was also the filth of the Qatar corruption scandal and of FIFA as a total lingering behind this World Cup. One really had to fade out for oneself what a disgusting assembly of mostly untrustworthy people was, in technical terms, the actual host of this great and historic World Cup.

However, all this cannot diminish my overall verdict for this 20th FIFA World Cup: A copa maravilhosa, the wonderful World Cup. Definitely one of the best ever, if not even the best.

Even if it's (comprehensibly) sad and angry about its home team's performance and despite the social problems the World Cup created, Brazil can be really proud of what it achieved as host. Two years before the "other big one", the Rio 2016 Games, they proved yet again (after South Africa 2010) that a developing country can do great things, especially combined with human warmth and hospitality that seemed to have no boundaries - at least judging by how warmly my own team was received in their training site Campo Bahia and all the cities they played their matches in.

So, in closing: Obrigado, Brasil! And now my last wish for this World Cup is that your warmth and hospitality will also carry my team to its fourth World Cup title. ;)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were calls for a verdict thread, as it has become tradition on this board, so here it comes - since I can't sleep anyway.

I know this is a difficult situation for the host country Brazil - but I myself can only say that my verdict for how they hosted this 2014 World Cup couldn't be better, any maybe this will cheer our Brazilian friends up a little.

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed what a festival of football Brazil staged. And I stress that even if FIFA owns this tournament, for me this is still Brazil's tournament - without them, this World Cup would have been only an empty shell.

The quality of this tournament was probably not very surprising, judging only by the fact how deep football is rooted in Brazil's culture - but after all the protests, the doubts, the spiralling costs, the FIFA scandals et cetera, this success was really not self-evident. Judging by all reports here in Germany, Brazil was a safe and happy place for supporters from all over the world to celebrate four weeks of football. The Brazilians were warm and enthusiastic hosts - just like my signature states.

We saw a tournament with a drastically increased goal average - that is certain already now, before the final match of this World Cup will be played in about 17 hours. We saw a festival of offensive playing during most of the group matches, with rather tactical play entering the stage only for the knock-out matches.

This World Cup also created iconic and historical moments, starting with the Netherlands' 5-1 victory over Spain and the successive elimination of the World and double European Champion, leading up to the mind-blowing semi-final between Germany and Brazil. We saw also other former champions stumble, with England and Italy being eliminated already in the group stage. And in return, we saw the rise of underestimated teams like Costa Rica and Algeria which played a highly courageous World Cup. And these are only the most remarkable of quite many remarkable football moments during this tournament.

Of course, there were shambolic or at least less glorious moments, too. The performance of the referees at this tournament was abysmal at times, the Algerian referee's showing at tonight's 3rd place match was just the latest and one of the saddest examples for that. There's the white elephant problem waiting in the wings at least for Manaus' World Cup stadium, while municipalities all around Brazil are waiting for money for their schools and hospitals. There was also the filth of the Qatar corruption scandal and of FIFA as a total lingering behind this World Cup. One really had to fade out for oneself what a disgusting assembly of mostly untrustworthy people was, in technical terms, the actual host of this great and historic World Cup.

However, all this cannot diminish my overall verdict for this 20th FIFA World Cup: A copa maravilhosa, the wonderful World Cup. Definitely one of the best ever, if not even the best.

Even if it's (comprehensibly) sad and angry about its home team's performance and despite the social problems the World Cup created, Brazil can be really proud of what it achieved as host. Two years before the "other big one", the Rio 2016 Games, they proved yet again (after South Africa 2010) that a developing country can do great things, especially combined with human warmth and hospitality that seemed to have no boundaries - at least judging by how warmly my own team was received in their training site Campo Bahia and all the cities they played their matches in.

So, in closing: Obrigado, Brasil! And now my last wish for this World Cup is that your warmth and hospitality will also carry my team to its fourth World Cup title. ;)

I am really happy to read this. For me, realising that my country was really able to organize such an event in a very high level was much more important than winning the 6th title (of course it would be wonderful if we could have both lol).

Just one remark...

"There's the white elephant problem waiting in the wings at least for Manaus' World Cup stadium, while municipalities all around Brazil are waiting for money for their schools and hospitals".

Yes, of course they could have more money. Despite of that, the amount of money spent on education and health has grown a lot in the last years. For example, it has just been aproved that education will have 10% of our GDP (it's almost 7% nowadays and it was less than 5% some years ago). Besides that, with the recently discovered oil under the salt layer, in deep water, it was estabilished that 75% of its revenue for the state will be dedicated for education and 25% for the healthy system. I'm just saying this to point out that the WC isn't really consuming resourses that could have been spent on education or health. The resources spent on the stadiums were loans for the companies and the local states from our development bank and it will be paid back. And to finish... in our federal system local governments are responsible for many aspects regarding education and health, with their own budgets.

The execution of the tournament was faultless. The play on the field exhilarating. It was a great month of football. Brazil should take pride in its accomplishment and now be able to focus on Rio 2016 with a newfound purpose and belief that they will pull it all off and do so splendidly. This does not diminish the fact that there are issues that need to be addressed (but then who doesn't have issues) and hopefully we will see improvements in those areas.

Brazil's hosting of the world cup was fantastic. From the enthusiastic fans, the beautiful stadiums, and the playing on the field, Brazil 2014 was a success.

Personally I had a great experience here at home. There is nothing like waking up late in the morning and watching the days match while eating breakfast. Brazil had some great surprises and like many have already said, the execution was flawless. I'm excited for tomorrows match and I'm sure that no matter who wins Brazil's hosting has impressed me beyond belief. This event excited me for this emerging nations future.

I'm looking forward to 2016 and I'm fully confident that it will be fantastic as well. Brazil has proved itself capable of hosting large sporting events with excitement, organization, and beauty.

However, despite the nations fantastic hosting I worry about the legacy. I do believe that too much money was built and that not enough thought was put into the legacy of the event. This seems to be a problem with the Olympics as well. Additionally the workers strikes did not help at all. Brazil needs to work on legacy and establishing more rights for the workers.

The games were still fantastic, good job Brazil! Now lets see if Russia can top that... :unsure:

Regardless of the result tomorrow, it will have a special place in the heart of the thousands of argentine fans who travelled to Brazil during this month (Danny, I think it would be nice from you to thank them for all the cash they are leaving in your country hehe). Despite the occasional fight with brazilian supporters (thanks FIFA for selling alcohol in southamerican stadiums), most of those who are interviewed on tv keep saying they are having a fantastic time there and that most of the locals are friendly towards them.

Brasil is doing a great job - it is an amazing host!!!

The venues and the infrastructure is one thing, but the most important is that the people in Brasil welcome their guests with open arms and celebrate to stage one of the most important sport events in the world!!!

Obrigado pela Copa do Mundo de magnífico, Brasil!

Estou ansioso para os Jogos Olímpicos no Rio de Janeiro e eu tenho um grande desejo de me ver mais partes do Brasil!

Brazil hosted a 'Brazilian' World Cup. It had its moments, it had its pains. It was beautiful and chaotic and memorizing and overwhelming and celebratory and imbued with the spirit of Brazil and its people. It was not as technically competent or clinical in execution as Germany 2006 and I think we all can agree that we won't have it any other way. Brazil did itself proud (off the pitch that is). A German win would cement this as the best I've witnessed. A German loss and well.....

Brazil hosted a 'Brazilian' World Cup. It had its moments, it had its pains. It was beautiful and chaotic and memorizing and overwhelming and celebratory and imbued with the spirit of Brazil and its people. It was not as technically competent or clinical in execution as Germany 2006 and I think we all can agree that we won't have it any other way.

What are you referring to exactly when saying that Brazil 2014 wasn't as technically competent or clinical in execution? I'm asking because besides maybe the incident when Chilean supporters stormed Maracana Stadium shortly before the group match against Spain and of course the several streakers, I haven't heard or read a singular report about major organisational flaws during this World Cup. In fact, Tom Bartels (ARD's commentator for the final today) was quoted just today in an article that he was impressed by the professional organisation of the tournament:

"Friendly people everywhere, smooth handling at hotels, airports and stadia, it worked sensationally. Brazil has drawn the right conclusions from the shortcomings and glitches at the Confed Cup, I wouldn't have expected it that way."

[in German: "Überall freundliche Menschen, in Hotels, Flughäfen, Stadien reibungslose Abläufe, es hat sensationell funktioniert.Brasilien hat aus den Versäumnissen und Pannen des Confed-Cups die richtigen Schlüsse gezogen, hätte ich so nicht erwartet"]

Link (in German)

There's a disconnect between the build-up to this tournament which surely no nation will use as a blueprint for preparing for a World Cup, and how it was actually hosted, which along with Germany 2006 should be something all future hosts look to.

On the pitch this has been the best World Cup I remember. Attacking football has been the philosophy for most teams which makes such a refreshing change from the cautious approach many teams adopted four years ago. We've had shocks (Brazil and Spain), controversy (that Uruguayan chap), new stars (half the Colombian team), nations transfixed (we've finally got the US' attention!) and so many good matches I'm not going to go through them all.

South American fans have made this tournament special, not just the Brazillians. Four years ago all we heard were swarms of wasps from the stands when it should've been a great atmosphere for Africa's World Cup. This World Cup has more than made up for that! But Faster, you're not giving Germany 2006 enough credit. That was the World Cup that gave us fan parks, and I remember the scenes in Unter den Linden when patriotic fervour swept the nation which were fantastic.

So a big thumbs up to Brazil's hosting, if not its preparation. I'm all for Brazil getting 2022 if Qatar loses it. I'd be happy to do it all again! :lol:

Haha, charming thought, Rob - but after the 2013 Confed Cup, the 2014 World Cup, the 2016 Olympic Games and the 2019 Copa América, Brazil will probably be as tired of hosting major sports events as rarely a host nation before in sports history. ;)

There's a disconnect between the build-up to this tournament which surely no nation will use as a blueprint for preparing for a World Cup, and how it was actually hosted, which along with Germany 2006 should be something all future hosts look to.

That's because maybe, just maybe, the press was grossly exaggerating about everything, right?

The actual Tournament was a success. My 3rd Favourite World Cup of all Time. Of course, the First Fifa World Cup I remember was Germany 2006. I've watched alot of the old Fifa World Cup History Tournaments from a long long time ago. My Favourite would obviously be England 1966, that's a special one for me, which I kind of wish I could of seen live, but I didn't exist then. My Second Favourite was Germany 2006. I also liked France 1998. So, out of 20 Fifa World Cups, Brazil 2014 ranks 4th on my personal Favourites. The Preparations were a disaster, but the Tournament was eventually an excellent and successful Fifa World Cup. I wouldn't like the idea of a Brazil 2022. It's too near to Brazil 2014. Overall, the World Cup was a success.

The actual Tournament was a success. My 3rd Favourite World Cup of all Time. Of course, the First Fifa World Cup I remember was Germany 2006. I've watched alot of the old Fifa World Cup History Tournaments from a long long time ago. My Favourite would obviously be England 1966, that's a special one for me, which I kind of wish I could of seen live, but I didn't exist then. My Second Favourite was Germany 2006. I also liked France 1998. So, out of 20 Fifa World Cups, Brazil 2014 ranks 4th on my personal Favourites. The Preparations were a disaster, but the Tournament was eventually an excellent and successful Fifa World Cup. I wouldn't like the idea of a Brazil 2022. It's too near to Brazil 2014. Overall, the World Cup was a success.

If the preparations were a disaster, the WC would also be a disaster no? I really don't care in what position you put Brazil 2014 in your own ranks, but saying the preparations were a disaster it's really annoying. Can't you understand you were posting thousands and thousands of exaggerated news all these months? You are hopeless.

Brazil hosted a 'Brazilian' World Cup. It had its moments, it had its pains. It was beautiful and chaotic and memorizing and overwhelming and celebratory and imbued with the spirit of Brazil and its people. It was not as technically competent or clinical in execution as Germany 2006 and I think we all can agree that we won't have it any other way. Brazil did itself proud (off the pitch that is). A German win would cement this as the best I've witnessed. A German loss and well.....

What was chaotic? I've missed this part...

I can't agree that the preparation was a disaster. If it was a disaster that would be reflected in the organization of the event. Brazil delivered six stadiums for the Confederations Cup (for the first time in history) a year earlier. Other stadiums were ready some time after the deadline, but only two (São Paulo and Curitiba) were ready at the last minute. We had 12 venues, we can't criticize the whole work just because of the two venues. It's unfair to the cities that did everything right such as Rio.

I'm not getting into a flame war over the preparations. It's nearly over now. Many of us would agree that the preparations were a disaster, but let's move forward. The Media did exaggerate at times, but the preparations were far from perfect.

Psst, Tony, the point of preparations is to deliver in the end. That's how you judge them.

Again, I'm not getting into another flame war over the preparations. Many would agree that the preparations were worrying.

Archived