3rd place Match - Who cares?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there money on the line for the players?

Just in national team placing, from what I gather. But it is way higher than fourth...And hey, it's the bronze medal.

I like the third place match. More often than not it's more entertaining than the finals.

I do too. You at least get out of it for some semblance of price. And, unlike the final, there's not as much pressure at stake to win. Still, If the Selecao lose to the Oranje at the capital city, that will add serious further insult to injury.

A fourth place by another landslide will plunge this generation of Brazilian football further into its own particular hell. It may be good, though, to deeper change our way of managing the game.

A fourth place by another landslide will plunge this generation of Brazilian football further into its own particular hell. It may be good, though, to deeper change our way of managing the game.

Yes, I hope Robben and his team mates just crush Brazilian players.

It is a dual edge sword for Brazil- a good win and a 3rd place will start the healing process.... 3rd doesn't sound quite so bad.

Another big loss will compound the misery from the semi final.

So there is something to play for here.

There is no dual edge sword.

For first time in my life I want Brazil to be smashed by an opponent.

These players deserved to be remembered forever as the worst Brazilian squad ever.

And hope another humiliation can lead to deep changes on managing football here in Brazil.

Go Netherlans.

There's nothing that can change our perceptions about the current Seleção. Even the third place. The Netherlands are a very qualified team and could have reached the final with relative ease while Brazil struggled the entire tournament. We hear Oranje is unmotivated for tomorrow, but with little efficiency and will they can dump our team for good.

Yes, I hope Robben and his team mates just crush Brazilian players.

There is no dual edge sword.

For first time in my life I want Brazil to be smashed by an opponent.

These players deserved to be remembered forever as the worst Brazilian squad ever.

And hope another humiliation can lead to deep changes on managing football here in Brazil.

Go Netherlans.

That just sounds mentally unbalanced. Nationalistic fervor run off the rails.

As a German supporter I can tell that the 3rd place match does have meaning and importance. It provides that closure to a tournament that the semi-final lose in 2012 does not. Plus the 3rd place matches in 2006 and 2010 were the better of the matches.

Brazil will probably win it. I see the dutch even more discouraged to play this game after listening to Van Gal words (he pretty much said he didn't gave a damn and only cared about being world champion. I know he's frustrated Netherlands never managed to win a WC but his comments are very arrogant IMO). Also it could be a chance for Brazil to reedeem itself after the sad display shown last tuesday.

I think LVG is probably more frustrated his top players didn't step up to the mark. He said publically two of his players refused to take penalties. Not surprised he's not bothered, and has one eye on his future in Manchester.

Brazil will probably win it. I see the dutch even more discouraged to play this game after listening to Van Gal words (he pretty much said he didn't gave a damn and only cared about being world champion. I know he's frustrated Netherlands never managed to win a WC but his comments are very arrogant IMO). Also it could be a chance for Brazil to reedeem itself after the sad display shown last tuesday.

That's van Gaal for you. Cannot stand him.

As a German supporter I can tell that the 3rd place match does have meaning and importance. It provides that closure to a tournament that the semi-final lose in 2012 does not. Plus the 3rd place matches in 2006 and 2010 were the better of the matches.

Very true. In 2006, I thought at first "Oh damn, I'd rather not play that bloody losers' final" after that mentally devastating defeat against Italy in the semi-final. But in the end, it turned out to be an entertaining match and a wonderful closure with very happy German supporters in Stuttgart and all over the country. It allowed us to finish the tournament somewhat at peace with ourselves, and that "small final" also probably was the pinnacle of the German "Sommermärchen" (summer fairy-tale), as Sönke Wortmann called it in his famous "behind the scenes" movie about the German team during the 2006 World Cup.

In 2010, I was simply relieved (even if I was slightly bitter about yet another semi-final elimination) that Germany could play yet another match at that tournament. And so I missed that 3rd place match a lot when Germany got eliminated yet again in a semi-final two years later, in Warsaw. It was quite tough that suddenly the whole tournament for Germany was over at that point.

So I hope for the supporters of both Brazil and the Netherlands that they can somewhat enjoy tonight's match, despite the bitter disappointment they must feel and which I as German supporter know far too well.

And I also must say that you shouldn't be too harsh about your team, dear Brazilian friends. I can somewhat grasp how extremely disappointed you must be about that defeat that was bigger than anything we all could ever imagine before. But nevertheless, I think it's not appropriate to slash your players as if they are criminals. I think it's tough enough for them already - and pure hatred or even only vitriol won't help you guys at all.

In the end, you will have to deal with probably most of those players in your national squad for the years to come - and God only knows which potential that team can still reach, despite that heavy defeat against Germany. I'd even be as cocky to say that in only a few years time (maybe already at the next Copa), you will be very jubilant about that team and not think that much about July 8, 2014 anymore.

That just sounds mentally unbalanced. Nationalistic fervor run off the rails.

We just want things to be changed on Brazilian FA politics. Since we won't get the trophy, only a huge fiasco will put pressure on the FA.

Athensfan, not everything is patriotic-nationalistic stuff. We are not Americans.

;)

Very true. In 2006, I thought at first "Oh damn, I'd rather not play that bloody losers' final" after that mentally devastating defeat against Italy in the semi-final. But in the end, it turned out to be an entertaining match and a wonderful closure with very happy German supporters in Stuttgart and all over the country. It allowed us to finish the tournament somewhat at peace with ourselves, and that "small final" also probably was the pinnacle of the German "Sommermärchen" (summer fairy-tale), as Sönke Wortmann called it in his famous "behind the scenes" movie about the German team during the 2006 World Cup.

In 2010, I was simply relieved (even if I was slightly bitter about yet another semi-final elimination) that Germany could play yet another match at that tournament. And so I missed that 3rd place match a lot when Germany got eliminated yet again in a semi-final two years later, in Warsaw. It was quite tough that suddenly the whole tournament for Germany was over at that point.

So I hope for the supporters of both Brazil and the Netherlands that they can somewhat enjoy tonight's match, despite the bitter disappointment they must feel and which I as German supporter know far too well.

And I also must say that you shouldn't be too harsh about your team, dear Brazilian friends. I can somewhat grasp how extremely disappointed you must be about that defeat that was bigger than anything we all could ever imagine before. But nevertheless, I think it's not appropriate to slash your players as if they are criminals. I think it's tough enough for them already - and pure hatred or even only vitriol won't help you guys at all.

In the end, you will have to deal with probably most of those players in your national squad for the years to come - and God only knows which potential that team can still reach, despite that heavy defeat against Germany. I'd even be as cocky to say that in only a few years time (maybe already at the next Copa), you will be very jubilant about that team and not think that much about July 8, 2014 anymore.

I don't think they are criminals. I wish then the best luck in their lives. I do think many thing must change in CBF and I do think Scolari is the one to be guilty and must be fired.

I don't think they are criminals. I wish then the best luck in their lives. I do think many thing must change in CBF and I do think Scolari is the one to be guilty and must be fired.

Sorry, Danny, but that sounded wholly different when you said that the Dutch should "just crush Brazilian players" and that "these players deserved to be remembered forever as the worst Brazilian squad ever". There was no mention that you direct your criticism only against Scolari.

Archived