FIFA World Cup Match 61 Semi-Final Brazil vs Germany

I've had a sleep, awoken and still have a WTF Just Happened feeling!

:( and now the negative reports are comming in, including footage of the mass stampede on Copacabana beach caused by a mass snatch and grab raid by youths during the match.

It feels like the last three matches in the tournament will be forgotten as this match trumps them all for shear impact.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a sleep, awoken and still have a WTF Just Happened feeling!

:( and now the negative reports are comming in, including footage of the mass stampede on Copacabana beach caused by a mass snatch and grab raid by youths during the match.

It feels like the last three matches in the tournament will be forgotten as this match trumps them all for shear impact.

It is said here in the German media, that you can't draw a direct link to the grab raid or to the bus fires - the Brasilians are 'praised' for their reaction as fair but sad

For the Germans on here. I have watched German football for 12 years now. In Japan and Korea the reaction to the anthem and from the crowd was muted. 2004 in Portugal was the same, but from 2006 on there is a huge increase in crowd and team reaction to obvious situations of showing pride in being German. Even Klose sings the anthem now. Podolski, Khedira, Boateng and Ozil don't still.

Has this been reflected in how Germans feel about themselves now and their willingness to show pride in being German? Or is this just a football thing? Has the obvious diversity of the National Team made integration easier and foreigners/new Germans more readily accepted?

Ever since I was a kid, Germans were always reserved in their celebrations sportswise. I guess it was just a hang over from that past.

Sometimes it comes accross all wrong with the impression of coldness but really it was just politeness. Sportsmanship is where they let their feelings show, as we saw today. Only at home they cheer wildly...and then it looked like even the German fans ended up in shock mode after the forth goal.

At least they showed some letting down of the hair today and deservedly so after that rout. And yet it was still polite back slapping and man hugs...Not the US/western hemisphere inspired showboating and high fiving.

Prehaps, they're the example we should follow instead?

It is said here in the German media, that you can't draw a direct link to the grab raid or to the bus fires - the Brasilians are 'praised' for their reaction as fair but sad

From what I've been reading, plenty of security out and about, but the reaction has been understandably sad, but muted so far.

There's something I liked a lot about the German players and that was their politeness. There was not a single exaggerated celebration or provoking gesture coming from them and that has to be appreciated. Not everybody would behave like that if they were winning by 7 goals. Still, I'm supporting the Netherlands, I want a new WC winner! :P

On the other hand, it looks the reaction from Brazilian people and media is similar to what happened in Spain after the match against Chile, with the players being insulted and attacked by the people that blindly supported them until they lost. It's fine that fans are sad and upset because their team really had a chance to win the tournament and clearly lost this time, but it shouldn't be more than that. In spite of what media might say, national pride was not in play. Stop taking football so seriously, it's just a game! Brazil has not been humiliated, it is the same country it was 24 hours ago, and when the next football tournament arrives, I'm sure they will be among the favourites again.

There's something I liked a lot about the German players and that was their politeness. There was not a single exaggerated celebration or provoking gesture coming from them and that has to be appreciated. Not everybody would behave like that if they were winning by 7 goals. Still, I'm supporting the Netherlands, I want a new WC winner! :P

On the other hand, it looks the reaction from Brazilian people and media is similar to what happened in Spain after the match against Chile, with the players being insulted and attacked by the people that blindly supported them until they lost. It's fine that fans are sad and upset because their team really had a chance to win the tournament and clearly lost this time, but it shouldn't be more than that. In spite of what media might say, national pride was not in play. Stop taking football so seriously, it's just a game! Brazil has not been humiliated, it is the same country it was 24 hours ago, and when the next football tournament arrives, I'm sure they will be among the favourites again.

According to Brazilian media, 10 people bothered to follow Brazil bus in Belo Horizonte. The rest of population simply ignored it. The TV ratings dropped as hell during the match.

When arriving in Training Venue, 6 people were there with 2 banners "Shame" and "Not even Volkswagen make 4 gols in 6 minutes" (VW have a car named gol in Brazil).

protesto_contra_selecao_raphael_bozeo_tr

There were more police than people around Brazilian bus leaving Belo Horizonte

onibus_brasil_galeao1_patriciaesteves.jp

For the Germans on here. I have watched German football for 12 years now. In Japan and Korea the reaction to the anthem and from the crowd was muted. 2004 in Portugal was the same, but from 2006 on there is a huge increase in crowd and team reaction to obvious situations of showing pride in being German. Even Klose sings the anthem now. Podolski, Khedira, Boateng and Ozil don't still.

Has this been reflected in how Germans feel about themselves now and their willingness to show pride in being German? Or is this just a football thing? Has the obvious diversity of the National Team made integration easier and foreigners/new Germans more readily accepted?

Well, just like football style "we" play has modernised over the last decade, so has society progressed, I think. Of course, given the history of Germany (which we were kindly reminded of very early in this thread...), showing national pride is still sth unusual, but starting with the WC 2006, which also had all the weather luck, people realised you can wave a flag or decorate the car and automatically become suspect of being a Nazi. Happens only during big football/sports events (and when Lena won Eurovision) anyway.

I don't care if the players sing the anthem - they're supposed to play football after all. People like Özil or Khedira may however definitely serve as role

models for integration and only the far right extremists nowadays have trouble accepting this.

It's still a long way to go in society, but I think we've made huge progress, and it's about time this is also reflected by people abroad who love to bathe in WW2 cliches.

What will happen to Brazil & Brazilian football now? How will they bounce back? The really scary thing (for any admirer of Brazilian football) is that when you look at the S American teams here, Colombia, Chile, Uruguay, & Argentina have all played better than Brazil over the tournament. If that continues in the next qualifiers, Brazil would at best scrape through, & may even fail to make it to Russia. An unthinkable prospect (although Brazil haven't played qualifiers since 2009 so we don't know how they would've done now) so how can they prevent that & recover?

Brazil you have 2 years to learn to deal with home pressure before the Olympics....better get some top sports psychologists in.

They have a psychologists team but in Brazil the athletes have a severe lack of confidence. Have you seen our gymnasts?

Nice to see that the rest of the world can overract to one game. Not just an American thing.

It IS an episode in the history of football. 7x1 in a single game with string of goals in 6 minutes of a semifinal game is unique.

There's something I liked a lot about the German players and that was their politeness. There was not a single exaggerated celebration or provoking gesture coming from them and that has to be appreciated. Not everybody would behave like that if they were winning by 7 goals.

Well, do you really think they were going to indulge in such outward, derisive behavior? They obviously have more class and consideration than certain posters here on GB who ridicule and smack you down without remorse or shame.

Well, do you really think they were going to indulge in such outward, derisive behavior? They obviously have more class and consideration than certain posters here on GB who ridicule and smack you down without remorse or shame.

Even when it's deserved?...hmmm...if you keep stoking the boiler, eventually it blows. <_<

It IS an episode in the history of football. 7x1 in a single game with string of goals in 6 minutes of a semifinal game is unique.

It's a hell of a game people won't forget. But it's one game, and a bit of a fluke. Germany isn't this good, and Brazil isn't this bad.

There are calls to blow up the entire Brazillian soccer infrastructure over this one game... and calls to crown Germany '16 the Best. Team. Ever. (side note - if you are the best team ever, you don't tie Ghana.)

It's a hell of a game people won't forget. But it's one game, and a bit of a fluke. Germany isn't this good, and Brazil isn't this bad.

There are calls to blow up the entire Brazillian soccer infrastructure over this one game... and calls to crown Germany '16 the Best. Team. Ever. (side note - if you are the best team ever, you don't tie Ghana.)

You mean like the former best team ever Spain, which lost to Switzerland 0-1 at the 2010 WC

The team of the decade has loses to Switzerland and the USA, so your point? This is not even a full strength Germany given injuries to Marco Reus and Holgar Babstuber.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/wright-thompson/94/post/1940906/wright-thompson----scenes-of-defeat-on-the-streets-of-brazil

Great article.

More on the shock, sadness, dejection, anger, and despair coming from the 7-1 game that will haunt Brazilians and their psyches for many years to come from the Daily Mail, of all places. Inaccurate that they're out of the World Cup. They'll play for seemingly (to them) an indignant 3rd place. Just not for the title. Contrast those with a modest set of celebratory Germans. One Brazilian woman won an office bet by correctly predicting the outcome.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2685198/Brazil-blown-away-Germany-five-goals-18-minutes-leaving-World-Cup-hosts-verge-crashing-tournament-agony-fans.html

Heidi Klum

HeidiKlumGermanyvbrazil_large.jpg

Fernanda Motta, Giselle Bundchen, Diane Kruger, and Pele (along with Klum) all react to the game in different ways. If I were the Brazilians, I would more likely be a lot more scathing in my reaction short of death threats. More in line with today's newspapers. Pele, there's no guarantee that the Selecao will win it all in 4 years time in Russia as much as it could take away the deeply bitter sting from now. Because it never ever will, and, like I said earlier here, they will be reminded of that devastating loss and what they don't have back that year for the rest of their lives. Everyday. Leaves behind a legacy

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/heidi-klum-gisele-and-pele-react-to-last-nights-brazil-v-germany-game-635804.html

Whoa... I didn't follow the World Cup discussions in this forum and your role in it, but you seem to be pretty agressive towards the German team. Why so?

Frankly, I haven't even heard those overblown "Best team ever" calls. Here in Germany, the mood in the public and the media is optimistic, but not arrogant. We all know that Team Germany had its weaker matches also in this World Cup and that like every assembly of human beings, it makes mistakes. And therefore we all here take the final on Sunday very seriously, even if (judging by Argentina's performance until now in this World Cup) Germany is the favourite in that match.

All in all, Team Germany has shown a mostly decent and down-to-earth behaviour in this World Cup, maybe apart from the controversial Mertesacker and Löw remarks after the Algeria match. So I'm really surprised that you get so angry and blow singular remarks by particular fans or media (as I would guess) out of proportion. Germany stayed down to earth throughout this tournament, and so it will until Sunday when the final whistle blows and our boys will - hopefully - be able to call themselves the 2014 World Champion.

Archived