9 Years ago to the day, my City of London was struck by bombings. It is something close to my heart, that I will never forget. I was only 8 Years Old at the time, so I didn't really understand at the time, but I remember all the Media attention about it. At the time, I knew there was a bombing, but didn't know the details as to why and how, because I was only 8 Years Old. I cannot imagine what those Families, Friends and Victims went through. All I can say is, to all 52 Innocent Victims who sadly passed away and the 700 Injured Innocent Members of the Public, we will never forget You. Those 4 animals who were behind these nasty and vicious attacks will always be remembered as animals with no heart, but You victims will always be remembered as brave and thoughtful people. Today, we remember those innocent victims and pay our respects to the Victims, Families, Friends and Associates of all those Innocent People. 07/07/05 will never be forgotten.

• Like 1

Time really does pass so quickly.

Nine years since the bombings, and of course nine years and one day since London won its Olympic bid. From joy to numb shock in less than 24 hours.

I was meant to be meeting friends in town that day coming down from the Midlands. I got a call from them in the morning, before I'd turned the radio or TV on. They said there were no trains from Derby into London as - they'd been told at the time - there was a huge electrical fault affecting the London transport system. I turned the TV on and it was reporting much the same. So I started the morning annoyed at TfL for ruining my day. Of course, an hour or so later and it was clear why the trains weren't running.

Those who died and were injured and their familes and friends will always be in the thoughts of Londoners, particularly on this day. The city didn't change or turn in on itself or turn on others because of those animals - and there isn't a more apt word, Tony is right. If anything it got stronger.

Just read that the memorial site was vandalized :(

Anyway, I remember getting a phone call from someone saying did you hear about London? And I said yeah it's amazing, hosting 2012 Olympics! (something like that). And then they said no no, a terrorist attack has happened. Was just so shocking.

Just like with 9/11 when you hear stories about near misses. A friend who came to Australia a few years ago was chatting to me and said that his wife was meant to be on the train but missed it cause she and her husband were having a fight and caused her to be late for the train.

Rest in peace to everyone.

I remember being in Melbourne and hearing news of a major "electrical fire" that caused explosions and thinking that it seemed far fetched - and that it was likely something deliberate.

I also remember wondering how related to the Olympic bid it was, and whether Paris or NYC could have been attacked in those days following in a synchronised event. Shocking and sad thing to happen.

But as many people say, Londoners are a stoic bunch who have endured the wrath of Romans and Nazis - who did a bunch of pissed of fundmentalists think they were going to unhinge?

Gosh it was soooo mean...The day after euphoria!

My most enduring image of the attack was after during the moment of silence when the city came to a total standstill...and seeing The Queen stoicly standing there infront of Buckingham Palace all by herself, staunch and solid as if to say "come and get me - I dare you".

Edited by Alexjc#TeamKey

It was very sad. Like I said, at the time, I was 8, so I didn't really understand the incident fully, but looking back at it now, it's quite haunting.

Such a shock.

I was in the newsroom, trawling through the news wires for any item I could read in the aftermath of the decision from Singapore the day before (that time has to be one of the highlights of GamesBids) when the first started coming in from the agencies that the Tube was shut down for a fault. Which was ominous in itself - the news agencies don't usually report on stoppages in world transit systems. Then images started coming through on the TVs on the floor of the "stoppage" and it was clear there was more afoot. It was quitting time, so I left, but by the time I got home the picture was getting dreadfully clearer. Yeah, it was a body blow - talk about a dastardly act pricking the euphoria. It was similar to when I flew into LA from Atlanta, only to find on landing a bomb had gone off in Centennial Park, where I'd just been hours before, while I was in the air. That sense of utter anger and dismay that evil could so callously shatter a time of joy.

London and England's used to being stoic, and it's stoicism shone through again.

RIP

It was awful! I can't forget how just one day earlier everyone was celebrating London winning the right to host the 2012 Olympics and, scarcely 24 hours later, such celebrations were brutally cut short by this hideous event! It just seemed so inexplicable and unblievable! The tragedy of those 50+ lost lives was even compounded when an innocent Brazilian man was mistakenly identified as one of the terrorists and shot dead by the police! Tragedy after tragedy!

Nine years on, the 2012 Olympics have come and gone, but the memories remain, the good and the bad. Where does the time go??

Edited by Mainad

I saw the newspaper that day, where Anibal Acevedo Vila's (Governor of Puerto Rico from 2005 to 2008) daughter was in London. She was in shock about it.

Then-IOC president Jacques Rogge (Belgium) released a statement later on, the day after they were awarded the 2012 Summer games which it was successfully held