IOC To Shortlist 2022 Olympic Winter Games Candidates Monday - What to Expect

GBModerator

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's called exaggerating the negative points of what you're not that keen on. And embellishing the ones that you'd rather see instead. Sounds typical to me from previous short-lists. The 2008 one seems to come to mind, where Osaka got undeservedly screwed over.

I just have this feeling Beijing will win this :rolleyes: Oslo's support is so abysmal that I find it hard that it continue.

Just 36% of Norway 5 million people support this bid so around about 1.8 million people support the bid that is not good at all when it comes to tickets and not every one of those 1.8 million can pay for Olympics Tickets so this is not good and with lack of Government support could lead to Denver 2 so the IOC will be foolish to give it to Oslo right now. It's between Beijing China and Almaty Kazakhstan going to be an very close race between them.

1) How many tickets are usually going on sale?

2) Do only natives buy tickets?

3) Do you already know ticket prices?

4) Do you know Norway's average income?

5) Has every single one of those 5 million answered the poll?

If you can substiantially answer these questions, you may have a point.

As from Denmark I would love the Winter games to go to Oslo. Denmark never been big in Winter games but i always remember Lillehammer 94 to be the most magic Winter games ever... I feel very sad if the norwegian people don´t want it. But I also think, that IF Oslo gets the Olympic, Im pretty sure that many of them against the games will still celebrate it when it comes. Of course some wont, but there always someone against everything. The main thing is to convince them that it wont cost the ordinary people any Money.

Why not take a "sponsorship" from the norwegian people? For example i would love to pay 500 Danish Crowns every month in 8 year for summer Olympic in Copenhagen for example.

Also i cant understand why it always is if the games alone make a profit... It is in my opinion about branding your country for turist. In 2010 turist from other countrys spent about 30 billion Danish Crowns in Denmark... It is about a long time branding of our country (or in case of Oslo bid, branding Norway). Beside give the people a good experience and much more. You cant measure how many more turist that comes to a country if Oslo have the games or not. But every private company use sponsorship to brand its product. But when Ford pay xxx dollars to be a part of Champions League official sponsors, it is also not possible to measure exactly how many extra cars they sell when they sponsor that and so on for every other sponsorship. So with my point of view a Olympic games (and other big sporting events) are a way to market your country for many years. If Norway did not had the games of 94 and different other international events since then, how many people would know anything of norway? Would they have had 1 or 2 billion less tourist income per year for many years? or perhps much more? So with my point of view an Olympic Games is not about a profit or not for it games it self, but a long term Investment.

Sponsorship in Norway is bit hard with an 80% tax rate countries like Norway is declining unless the tax system changes and next door neighbour Sweden will be an 3rd world country in 20 years time, Oslo Norway is the only place in Scandinavia which could host an 21st century Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games.

Sponsorship in Norway is bit hard with an 80% tax rate countries like Norway is declining unless the tax system changes and next door neighbour Sweden will be an 3rd world country in 20 years time, Oslo Norway is the only place in Scandinavia which could host an 21st century Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games.

Thank you. I just needed a good laugh, this came at the right time.

As from Denmark I would love the Winter games to go to Oslo. Denmark never been big in Winter games but i always remember Lillehammer 94 to be the most magic Winter games ever... I feel very sad if the norwegian people don´t want it. But I also think, that IF Oslo gets the Olympic, Im pretty sure that many of them against the games will still celebrate it when it comes. Of course some wont, but there always someone against everything. The main thing is to convince them that it wont cost the ordinary people any Money.

Why not take a "sponsorship" from the norwegian people? For example i would love to pay 500 Danish Crowns every month in 8 year for summer Olympic in Copenhagen for example.

Also i cant understand why it always is if the games alone make a profit... It is in my opinion about branding your country for turist. In 2010 turist from other countrys spent about 30 billion Danish Crowns in Denmark... It is about a long time branding of our country (or in case of Oslo bid, branding Norway). Beside give the people a good experience and much more. You cant measure how many more turist that comes to a country if Oslo have the games or not. But every private company use sponsorship to brand its product. But when Ford pay xxx dollars to be a part of Champions League official sponsors, it is also not possible to measure exactly how many extra cars they sell when they sponsor that and so on for every other sponsorship. So with my point of view a Olympic games (and other big sporting events) are a way to market your country for many years. If Norway did not had the games of 94 and different other international events since then, how many people would know anything of norway? Would they have had 1 or 2 billion less tourist income per year for many years? or perhps much more? So with my point of view an Olympic Games is not about a profit or not for it games it self, but a long term Investment.

Hans, the host country ALREADY gets enough exposure from the broadcasts, etc., etc. You DON'T have to pay extra for the exposure. What you spend for the infrastructure and NOT counted in the accounting for the Games, is in effect, the host country's expenditure for advertising. No need to reinvent the wheel. The broadcasters just have to find interesting stories to tell about the host nation.

Just 36% of Norway 5 million people support this bid so around about 1.8 million people support the bid that is not good at all when it comes to tickets and not every one of those 1.8 million can pay for Olympics Tickets so this is not good and with lack of Government support could lead to Denver 2 so the IOC will be foolish to give it to Oslo right now. It's between Beijing China and Almaty Kazakhstan going to be an very close race between them.

I'm sure ticket sales are not ONLY restricted to natives. I'm sure the population would be more welcoming and acceptant if Oslo is awarded the games*. But most citicens would probably watch the Olympics on the TV, anyway. Unless they organize an Olympic Broadcasting Tax :o

*depending on multiple factors

Archived