FIFA World Cup Quarter Finals Day 2

If there's a movie about this WC it has to be about Costa Rica. I'm glad I attended one of their games. What a passionate team of fighters! Congratulations and proud return.

Now the Semifinals are revivals of two previous finals: Argentina 1978 - ARG vs NED; and Korea/Japan 2002 - BRA vs GER

(I have to write quicker)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Louis van Gaal says bringing on Tim Krul was always part of shootout plan

Louis van Gaal claimed he had always planned to throw the substitute goalkeeper, Tim Krul, on to the pitch at the end of extra time to become Holland’s unlikely shootout hero.

At the end of a breathless 120 minutes in which Costa Rica had dealt with everything the Dutch could throw at them, Van Gaal sent the Newcastle United goalkeeper on for Jasper Cillessen. Krul went on to save penalties from Bryan Ruiz and Michael Umaña to book Holland a semi-final with Argentina in São Paulo on Wednesday.

Van Gaal said of his gamble: “We thought it through. Every player has certain skills and qualities and they don’t always coincide. We felt Tim would be the most appropriate keeper to save penalties. You would have seen that Tim dived to the right corner twice. We’re a tiny bit proud this trick has helped us through.”

He said that he had discussed the plan with Krul, whose longer reach he thought would help him in the shootout, but not with Cillessen. “We said nothing to Jasper because we didn’t want him to know before the game. But as I’ve explained, every keeper has specific qualities. Tim has a longer reach and a better track record with penalties than Cillessen.

“We had discussed it with Tim. He knew about their penalties because he needed to be prepared. It worked out. If it hadn’t, it would have been my mistake.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/06/louis-van-gaal-tim-krul-holland-costa-rica-world-cup

So much for the underdogs. And so the cream rises... :)

My heart wants Germany and the Netherlands to make it through. My love of a symbolically special and historic sporting event hopes for a Brazil v Argentina final.

F-ck history. Deutschland.

I guess I should change my stuff now that Belgium is out. With luck they could make the semis in 2 years time.

So much for the underdogs. And so the cream rises...

My heart wants Germany and the Netherlands to make it through...

<_< ...and he finally shows up, with a monochrome comment.

So much for the underdogs. And so the cream rises... :)

My heart wants Germany and the Netherlands to make it through. My love of a symbolically special and historic sporting event hopes for a Brazil v Argentina final.

G'day mate,

glad that you are back!!!

:) :) :)

<_< ...and he finally shows up, with a monochrome comment.

... what's that supposed to be? :blink:<_<:blink:

Yeap!...now I'm gonna leave you alone.

That's rich from the bogan who, when you know I'm ignoring your vacuous drivel or even staying away from here because of you, continues to niggle and pepper your posts with digs challenging me to come out and give you some validation for your posts: "Where's Rols?", "I'm disappointed in Rols not being here", "Rols rigged my team in the sweep"... ad nauseum (literally). What's wrong with you? Why are you so obsessed with being acknowledged by me?

Here we go again ._.

I'm sorry - the real reason I've been absent from here for so long is because the niggle gnat was going into overdrive with his nastiness - low, even by his usual standards. And when the board is already getting narky I didn't want to add to the rancour, at least on the public threads, by calling him out. But I love the board and the friends I have here too much to stay away, and if he wants the conflict he's always trying to forment and cheer on from the sidelines, or the validation of me acknowledging his digs, well, I'll be up for it now. About time he was called to account for his bogan prejudices, and I'm sure not afraid to stand on my posting record and reputation - I hope he's ready for some of his skeletons in the closet to emerge.

Everytime he takes a swipe at someone, I'll take a swipe at him.

To start - what's with the tacky avatar Alex? Are you doubting your sexuality and trying to re-assure us all you are indeed the red-blooded hetero bogan you always try to cultivate in your image.

Everytime he takes a swipe at someone, I'll take a swipe at him.

Goodness gracious. Every time Baron takes a swipe at someone, Alex takes a swipe at him, which results in you taking a swipe at him :blink:

Such a vicious domino effect!

To start - what's with the tacky avatar Alex? Are you doubting your sexuality and trying to re-assure us all you are indeed the red-blooded hetero bogan you always try to cultivate in your image.

26IGRpb.png

Goodness gracious. Every time Baron takes a swipe at someone, Alex takes a swipe at him, which results in you taking a swipe at him :blink:

I've taken one swipe at Alex in many many months - on the premium members threads. I've refrained from taking the spite into the public threads, but if he insists on niggling and provoking in order to get a rise out of me, well, I'll give him what he so sorely craves...

Anyway, just quoting him back at himself:

Alexjc#TeamKey, on 29 May 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

everytime he takes a swipe at someone, I'll take a swipe at him

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/20240-usa-2024/page-551

Alexjc#TeamKey, on 11 Jun 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

you really are a total creep aren't you?

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/24078-2014-fifa-world-cup-predictions/page-6

Atomic Kitten, eh? Still tacky, and oh so Bogan White Trash.

Excuse me, WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM? Why is it always..."every time Baron takes a swipe at someone" :angry: What about that jerk Alexjc? He started this whole round with his low-blow, below-the-belt attacks on me becuz I ignored him or sneered at him --- for a remark I HAD TAKEN umbrage at. You said you wanted to make peace ...yet you keep casting me as the "....villain." So much for words of integrity I guess. And I still don;t know who you are. Let's just stay away from each other, woohoo-whoever-u-are....I really can't trust you.

A selection of (recent) gems:

#rescue Our Girls NOW!, on 15 Jun 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

We're taking the deserved mickey out of TELA after all his Shtt Stirring he did about Brazil and England before the start.

#rescue Our Girls NOW!, on 01 Jun 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

Trust a f##king Australian reporter to take an obnoxious swipe at the host! As if their country isn't full of the worlds deadliest creatures.

#rescue Our Girls NOW!, on 11 Jun 2014 - 5:50 PM, said:

You can ALWAYS rely on Australia to stoop so low...I wonder what tastless prank they'll pull for Glasgow.
Typical...

#rescue Our Girls NOW!, on 25 Mar 2014 - 04:39 AM, said:

Well done Malaysia!

You handled this terribly....

You just proved you are still a third world country masquerading as a first world country.

Oh and you still haven't found the wreckage yet...

by Alexjc#TeamKey on 19 June 2014 - 04:13 PM in Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup

We in the English Speaking Union (ESU) look down our noses on the Spanish...the 'lesser' Europeans.

by Alexjc#TeamKey on 29 May 2014 - 03:21 PM in Future Bids Discussion

go play with your Amelda Marcos shoe collection - freak.

by Alexjc#TeamKey on 12 June 2014 - 09:58 PM in Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup

Tony E Loves Architecture, on 12 Jun 2014 - 8:39 PM, said:

I can't wait until the Fifa World Cup starts. 7PM Opening Ceremony and 9PM Kick-Off here in England.

So you keep posting!...go have a wank or something, and quit bugging us with your repetitive posts!

Glasgow 2014 Baton Relay

Posted by Alexjc#TeamKey on 03 June 2014 - 02:40 PM in Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games

50 Days to go!

Glasgow 2014 Venues

Posted by Alexjc#TeamKey on 03 June 2014 - 02:37 PM in Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games

50 Days to go!

Glasgow 2014 brand

Posted by Alexjc#TeamKey on 03 June 2014 - 02:36 PM in Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games

50 days to go!

by Alexjc#TeamKey on 24 May 2014 - 07:00 PM in PREMIUM MEMBER Lounge

we need to support Tony with more positive comments.

by Alexjc#TeamKey on 15 June 2014 - 10:55 AM in Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup

Tony wanks Tony's balls!

Posted by Alexjc#TeamKey on 13 April 2014 - 10:40 AM in Ask The Moderator

You really are a knucklehead mcspazatron aren't you...

by Alexjc#TeamKey on 15 June 2014 - 11:13 PM in PREMIUM MEMBER Lounge

Tony needs to be kept in check.

I don't mind if everyone steps back and leaves a couple of us to go at him.

And I haven't delved yet into the real treasure trove......

Rols, with all due respect, is this the right place to have this argument? Can we move it to off topic before this thread that's dedicated to the quarterfinals of a soccer tournament gets locked.

Ah, nevermind. The quarterfinals are over anyways so we don't really need this thread now. Have at it boys!!

Ah, nevermind. The quarterfinals are over anyways so we don't really need this thread now. Have at it boys!!

I did figure that.

Anyway, the Niggle Gnat chose the venue. I was quite happy to continue ignoring him till he couldn't contain himself.

A selection of (recent) gems:

#rescue Our Girls NOW!, on 15 Jun 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

We're taking the deserved mickey out of TELA after all his Shtt Stirring he did about Brazil and England before the start.

#rescue Our Girls NOW!, on 01 Jun 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

Trust a f##king Australian reporter to take an obnoxious swipe at the host! As if their country isn't full of the worlds deadliest creatures.

#rescue Our Girls NOW!, on 11 Jun 2014 - 5:50 PM, said:

You can ALWAYS rely on Australia to stoop so low...I wonder what tastless prank they'll pull for Glasgow.
Typical...

#rescue Our Girls NOW!, on 25 Mar 2014 - 04:39 AM, said:

Well done Malaysia!

You handled this terribly....

You just proved you are still a third world country masquerading as a first world country.

Oh and you still haven't found the wreckage yet...

by Alexjc#TeamKey on 19 June 2014 - 04:13 PM in Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup

We in the English Speaking Union (ESU) look down our noses on the Spanish...the 'lesser' Europeans.

by Alexjc#TeamKey on 29 May 2014 - 03:21 PM in Future Bids Discussion

go play with your Amelda Marcos shoe collection - freak.

by Alexjc#TeamKey on 12 June 2014 - 09:58 PM in Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup

Tony E Loves Architecture, on 12 Jun 2014 - 8:39 PM, said:

I can't wait until the Fifa World Cup starts. 7PM Opening Ceremony and 9PM Kick-Off here in England.

So you keep posting!...go have a wank or something, and quit bugging us with your repetitive posts!

Glasgow 2014 Baton Relay

Posted by Alexjc#TeamKey on 03 June 2014 - 02:40 PM in Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games

50 Days to go!

Glasgow 2014 Venues

Posted by Alexjc#TeamKey on 03 June 2014 - 02:37 PM in Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games

50 Days to go!

Glasgow 2014 brand

Posted by Alexjc#TeamKey on 03 June 2014 - 02:36 PM in Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games

50 days to go!

by Alexjc#TeamKey on 24 May 2014 - 07:00 PM in PREMIUM MEMBER Lounge

we need to support Tony with more positive comments.

by Alexjc#TeamKey on 15 June 2014 - 10:55 AM in Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup

Tony wanks Tony's balls!

Posted by Alexjc#TeamKey on 13 April 2014 - 10:40 AM in Ask The Moderator

You really are a knucklehead mcspazatron aren't you...

by Alexjc#TeamKey on 15 June 2014 - 11:13 PM in PREMIUM MEMBER Lounge

Tony needs to be kept in check.

I don't mind if everyone steps back and leaves a couple of us to go at him.

And I haven't delved yet into the real treasure trove......

So in other words....You have been stalking me?

Don't you think thats kind of sick?

Seriously, you have just proven to me and probably others you are the creep....This is what you do, going through posts on people you don't like....Who else are you spying on? If you have been saving all this up, what else is out there on your computer? Wonder if the police would like to know?

Don't flatter yourself... Three mouse clicks: Your profile, your content, posts only.

Feel free to look at mine and see if you can find anything to match your vileness.

Are you getting a taste of what you've been subjecting me, Tony and Myles to (naming just your recent targets)? Not fun, is it?

Don't flatter yourself... Three mouse clicks: Your profile, your content, posts only.

Feel free to look at mine and see if you can find anything to match your vileness.

Are you getting a taste of what you've been subjecting me, Tony and Myles to (naming just your recent targets)? Not fun, is it?

Myles...I will, because he has done it to everyone else - c'mon Rols, you must have categorized all his snide remarks as well?. And equally vicious to other members. He turned on me for no reason last year during the AC13. Obviously I was no fun anymore. Im not the only one who's grown tired of his wick lighting comments and then endulging in the flaming aftermath.

Tony, I now talk to on PM and we finally reached common ground, admittedly I should've known better to tease him, he's actually a nice kid and only wants to be fed information. He's a football and Olympic fanatic and loves stadium designs. Yes he has the over enthusiasm of a 17yr old but who wasn't at that age.

I'm proud to call Myles a personal friend. And, yes, he'd be the first one to admit he plays hard here and oversteps the mark at time. But whatever issues you have with him, NOTHING can excuse the sheer disgustingness of you ridiculing his ethnicity and posting his video to QUOTE have a laugh UNQUOTE. IT's one of the lowest acts I've ever seen here, and if that wasn't a reprehensible breach of this site's terms of service, I don't know what is. It was the moment that really got me disillusioned with the board.

You've only stopped riding Tony because so many of us got on your case about it. If not, I'm sure you'd still be enjoying your latest "James" victim. And I think "creep", "f**k off Tony", "Macsoazatron" or telling him to go wank his balls - and that's just a selection at hand - is a bit more serious than "teasing".

Archived