• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who cares if performers are world famous or not? As long as they work for the show, in the moment, that's what matters most. These ceremonies are about cities showing the world the face THEY want

Omg guys, u need to sotp! It's boring how you're jugding the hole cerimony just by pictures. LETS RIO SHINE without yours negative comments. I'm loving everything, it's so colorful, so alive. They are

I watched quite a lot of the videos and pictures you guys thankfully posted here, and I must say, that I'm looking very much forward to the opening ceremony. What I have seen so far is surprisingly im

22 hours ago, olympiaki-agones said:

What was your favourite part of the OC, Baron?

Hi agones,  I just saw this.  

I think my favorite part was the Rain Forest with the "magic spaghetti strings."  That and the arrival of slaves from Africa was very magical and theatrical!! 

• Like 2

Unless I missed it or it was cut out on NBC's telecast, was there a dove(s) segment in the OC?  Like the rings, the presence of doves (or facsimile thereof) is a required part of the protocol.  Or is 2016 the start of the disintegration of the traditional form of OC??

2 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Unless I missed it or it was cut out on NBC's telecast, was there a dove(s) segment in the OC?  Like the rings, the presence of doves (or facsimile thereof) is a required part of the protocol.  Or is 2016 the start of the disintegration of the traditional form of OC??

Maybe the kites were the interpetation of the doves. 

On 12/08/2016 at 8:31 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Hi agones,  I just saw this.  

I think my favorite part was the Rain Forest with the "magic spaghetti strings."  That and the arrival of slaves from Africa was very magical and theatrical!! 

This segment s called Pindorama. This is a indigenous name for Brazil before the portuguese colonization.

1 hour ago, gamesnz said:

I didn't attend the event, but my impression is that the audience at Maracana stadium had the best experience, perhaps even more than previous Olympic ceremonies.

:blink: :blink:  You weren't there, but you are projecting that people had even a better experience than previous Ceremonies?  Huh?  Not only were you NOT present, but you are speaking for others whom you assume have attended previous Opening Ceremonies and therefore had a better time this time around?  How can you have a better time then events you have NOT been to?  What am I missing in your lack of logic here??   :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV
13 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

:blink: :blink:  You weren't there, but you are projecting that people had even a better experience than previous Ceremonies?  Huh?  Not only were you NOT present, but you are speaking for others whom you assume have attended previous Opening Ceremonies and therefore had a better time this time around?  How can you have a better time then events you have NOT been to?  What am I missing in your lack of logic here??   :blink:

Right, let me explain myself. I've been following different blogs, vlogs, and other social media of people who attended the ceremony and they raved about. Plus, I have been to many kinds of events in stadiums that had great atmosphere (like Rugby/Cricket World Cups, etc), but nothing close to what I've seen in the Rio Olympic Ceremony videos with all those people dancing and singing on the stands. It must have been exhilarating. 

28 minutes ago, gamesnz said:

Right, let me explain myself. I've been following different blogs, vlogs, and other social media of people who attended the ceremony and they raved about. Plus, I have been to many kinds of events in stadiums that had great atmosphere (like Rugby/Cricket World Cups, etc), but nothing close to what I've seen in the Rio Olympic Ceremony videos with all those people dancing and singing on the stands. It must have been exhilarating. 

From studying numerous spectator videos, I'd say it was mixed. People responded with enthusiasm to some bits, like particular moves in the Pindorama scene and the takeoff of the 14-bis (though not the flight over the city- from some seats the video screens were hidden behind the cabling for the lights and speakers), and most significantly, they responded to the rhythms of the music, by clapping (Garota de Ipanema) or even dancing. However, there were also long stretches, such as the mock-parkour on the stadium floor projections (which only made sense if you were sitting near the TV cameras) and the whole subsequent section up to the launch of the plane (where all the action took place in Box City with just a few dozen performers, and was very hard to follow from the other end of the stadium). Worst lapse was probably the Parade of Athletes, where the lower tiers of the audience could hardly see the teams at all as they walked along the central corridor.

In general, the organisers were lucky to get away with what was actually a performance designed with TV firmly in mind, relegating the paying audience to second-class.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Thanks again for the pics Neneu10.

A few days ago new grass was being laid at Macarana.    With these Brazilian flag projections it looks like they have since laid down again some sort of projection surface over the grass (?)

Catch is- there are two Olympic finals to be played there, today (Friday) and tomorrow!

Are they relying on some sort of surface which can be laid down overnight for Sunday's ceremony, tough enough to withstand a Carnival performance?

On 8/17/2016 at 0:32 AM, JMarkSnow2012 said:

A few days ago new grass was being laid at Macarana.    With these Brazilian flag projections it looks like they have since laid down again some sort of projection surface over the grass (?)

They are testing a new, secret process which will transform the turf (for football) into a flat, non-organic surface for Closing Ceremony with doses of nightly projections of the Brasilian flag!  B)

(For some reason, there is a technical glitch on my end -- do you hear that JMARK...there is a glitch on my end...which does not allow me to quote AustralianFan's last comment and yours keeps showing up.  We all DON'T get BBC!!)  :P

Edited by baron-pierreIV
1 hour ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Catch is- there are two Olympic finals to be played there, today (Friday) and tomorrow!

Are they relying on some sort of surface which can be laid down overnight for Sunday's ceremony, tough enough to withstand a Carnival performance?

Possibly.   Or are they projecting that Brazilian flag directly on to the turf?

5 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Possibly.   Or are they projecting that Brazilian flag directly on to the turf?

I think they might well be projecting directly onto the turf in those photos- but that doesn't explain how they'll protect it from an entire carnival (plus dozens of parading athletes).

5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

No technical glitches at all my end.

7 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

(For some reason, there is a technical glitch on my end -- do you hear that JMARK...there is a glitch on my end...which does not allow me to quote AustralianFan's last comment and yours keeps showing up.  We all DON'T get BBC!!)  :P

I've been getting that glitch at times too , where it won't let you quote the post you wanna quote, and instead keeps inserting some random quote from the page. Another reason the latest update was a crock of mierda.

• Like 2