Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who cares if performers are world famous or not? As long as they work for the show, in the moment, that's what matters most. These ceremonies are about cities showing the world the face THEY want

Omg guys, u need to sotp! It's boring how you're jugding the hole cerimony just by pictures. LETS RIO SHINE without yours negative comments. I'm loving everything, it's so colorful, so alive. They are

I watched quite a lot of the videos and pictures you guys thankfully posted here, and I must say, that I'm looking very much forward to the opening ceremony. What I have seen so far is surprisingly im

I think ceremonies should be related more with ART and CREATIVITY (as Barcelona, Atlanta, Sydney and Salt Lake showed)  far more than a full technology display!! Come on guys! It seems you have never visited an exposition or a Museum... If you expect to find machines and robots in a Fine Art Museum.... you can probably expect a ceremony full of robots display....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Like how the costume depict arrows as if indicating where the athletes should be going. :P

Spain uniform for the opening is so much better than that abomination from 2012. Guess they learned the lesson of not hiring Bosco again for the job.

uniforme-juegos-olimpicos-espa%C3%B1a-20

Taiwan (Chinese Taipei) uniforms for the Opening Ceremony which were unveiled yesterday are also going the tropical (and neon) way

600_phpZ4N1AO.jpg

13671340_294805130868694_1854903814_n.jp

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nacholympic said:

I think ceremonies should be related more with ART and CREATIVITY (as Barcelona, Atlanta, Sydney and Salt Lake showed)  far more than a full technology display!! Come on guys! It seems you have never visited an exposition or a Museum... If you expect to find machines and robots in a Fine Art Museum.... you can probably expect a ceremony full of robots display....

I kind of agree with this. On recent years i've seen so many countries abusing of light projections in the floor so much ever since Doha 2006 and Vancouver it kinda became repetitive. 

If you watch the opening ceremony of the 2011 SEA Games, for example, while the projections were very impressive, the actual performances by the actors were very second-rate and forgettable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

I kind of agree with this. On recent years i've seen so many countries abusing of light projections in the floor so much ever since Doha 2006 and Vancouver it kinda became repetitive. 

If you watch the opening ceremony of the 2011 SEA Games, for example, while the projections were very impressive, the actual performances by the actors were very second-rate and forgettable. 

 And they can have many technological resources but few creativity as Russians ceremonies tend to do:

- Kazan 2013 was a sort of Olympic style ceremony, but it was a mixture of Athens and Vancouver.... Completely full of resources but none saw anything new...

- Sochi 2014 ceremonies had the same issue: full of resources but I think nobody can deny they were Vancouver 2.0 ceremonies... Again, anything new...

- Kazan 2015 FINA OC was totally impressive... but ... it was such the level of technological resources that you can get overwhelmed by them.... what about the actor performances???

- Singapore 2015 was really good... but again Vancouver and even Sochi (cauldron lighting) were present... and they were plenty of technology... but what about creativity???

- The use of video clips for London was replied once and again. Most of all the countdown clip: Deaflympics Sofia 2013, Glasglow 2014 OC, SEA Games 2015 Singapore....

- Remember Barcelona 92 ceremonies... few resources but they did something never seen at that time... So imprresive and original... only start with the floor carpet covering on... even tll today, ceremonies resemble Barcelona's... Take a look on EYOF Tbilisi, Georgia 2015 Opening Ceremony....

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, neneu10 said:

Uniform from the volunteers of Parade of Nations...

40db353024.jpg

 

 

23 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

They should have made it look like this...  :lol:

Image result for Hillary CLinton logo images  

That would have been too blatant, but it is notable that the red arrow is the dominant element of the uniform design, so maybe a little subliminal marketing is being attempted on Hillary's behalf.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nacholympic said:

- Remember Barcelona 92 ceremonies... few resources but they did something never seen at that time... So imprresive and original... only start with the floor carpet covering on... even tll today, ceremonies resemble Barcelona's... Take a look on EYOF Tbilisi, Georgia 2015 Opening Ceremony....

- but you didn't mention the elephant in the room. How does anybody these days avoid being a pale imitation of Beijing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

- but you didn't mention the elephant in the room. How does anybody these days avoid being a pale imitation of Beijing?

Do a Baku.  Raise the budget to $95 million!!  They could've recreated Iguazu Falls there in place of those staggered boxes.  I mean Sydney did a mini-falls; Rio could've gone with a full-scale recreation of the Dancing Iguazu Falls Waters!!  :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Nacholympic said:

 - Kazan 2013 was a sort of Olympic style ceremony, but it was a mixture of Athens and Vancouver.... Completely full of resources but none saw anything new...

1

It had the use of FIRST applied 3-D optical technology for a LIVE performance. 

A copy of Barcelona would be great, but with Day-Glo costumes.  That would be new and affordable.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Do a Baku.  Raise the budget to $95 million!!  They could've recreated Iguazu Falls there in place of those staggered boxes.  I mean Sydney did a mini-falls; Rio could've gone with a full-scale recreation of the Dancing Iguazu Falls Waters!!  :lol:

How much was Athens's OC budget? I reckon it was smaller than Sydney or London judging by the no. of props. Yet it is still the most spectacular and beautiful ceremony ever. Even beating Beijing by miles and miles. Hope this proves there's still hope for small budget ceremony?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Do a Baku.  Raise the budget to $95 million!!  They could've recreated Iguazu Falls there in place of those staggered boxes.  I mean Sydney did a mini-falls; Rio could've gone with a full-scale recreation of the Dancing Iguazu Falls Waters!!  :lol:

On Rio Pan AM too :P

hqdefault.jpg

pan-american-games-cauldron.jpg

070713abertura_f_015.jpg?ts=200707132202

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, neneu10 said:

On Rio Pan AM too :P

hqdefault.jpg

pan-american-games-cauldron.jpg

070713abertura_f_015.jpg?ts=200707132202

 

 

 

Ok, I stand corrected.  I didn't know they used a waterfalls also at the Rio 2007 Opening.  I have never seen that Ceremony in full.  AH, then they wouldn't have repeated it this time since it was already done there.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2016 at 6:57 AM, daveypodmore said:

I hope the country name rotates as the cyclist moves. Very colourful

Actually, the Placard-bearers in Pan Am 2007 used a revolving and MORE ingenious get-up than those bizarre snow-globe gals in Albertville.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kevzz said:

How much was Athens's OC budget? I reckon it was smaller than Sydney or London judging by the no. of props. Yet it is still the most spectacular and beautiful ceremony ever. Even beating Beijing by miles and miles. Hope this proves there's still hope for small budget ceremony?

Most beautiful possibly. Most spectacular, nowhere near (compare the Athens lake with Barcelona's living sea, for example).

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, olympiaki-agones said:

Do not forget Moscow 1980, Sarajevo 1984, Beijing 2008, Sochi 2014 and (once again in S.K.) Pyongchang 2028.

No; the USSR was a state that could easily afford a Summer Games.  They had the manpower and the sporting heritage to support it.  (I left WOGs out of that list.)  Beijing does not count;  China supports already the 2nd biggest economy in the world by 2006 or thereabouts; they are #2 in medals, so China is NOT a pauper country to stage an Olympic Games.   And since the 1990s, So. Korea is considered a developed economy.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of late question, but are there news of how the Olympic Anthem will be performed? (I have a feeling it will be an instrumental version again like London's, for some reason). Also will arrangements of the national anthems of each country will be made like in London and Athens?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, neneu10 said:

Uniform from the volunteers of Parade of Nations...

 

40db353024.jpg

JvIf6d2.jpg

 

 

Thanks again Neneu10.

Are you able to say if these will be worn by those volunteers holding the nation name placards or by the all the volunteers mashalling and guiding the athletes ?

Also can you confirm if the colourful tri-cycles pictured earlier will actually be used to lead each nation into Macarana ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sad

7 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

I think ceremonies should be related more with ART and CREATIVITY (as Barcelona, Atlanta, Sydney and Salt Lake showed)  far more than a full technology display!! Come on guys! It seems you have never visited an exposition or a Museum... If you expect to find machines and robots in a Fine Art Museum.... you can probably expect a ceremony full of robots display....

I'm sorry to report guys as someone who works in tv Technology is the new art for the the audience the games are trying to connect with. it's all about the millennials now. the ones addicted to their phones, iPads and playstation. The ones that don't actually play sports but can program a toaster to do jumping jacks. The IOC and the various hosting committees of recent years like most organizations in the entertainment world have to figure a way to not only get young people in the coveted 18-35 yr old demographic but also to keep them. It's become increasingly hard now with competition not only from other tv programs but also the internet etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...