Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

9 minutes ago, kevzz said:

Maybe this is the first time we should really lower our expectation because this is the first time a developing country is hosting the games. We shouldn't expect the same quality and scale with other ceremonies of a more developed host country. 

If Rio can't give us the same quality as previous hosts (this goes for everything to do with their Games) then they shouldn't have been awarded them.

There's no reason anyone should lower their expectations. Brazil wanted these Games to show the world they can compete with more traditionally developed countries. Now's their chance to show it.

I agree with others. Judging things by a few leaked pictures is stupid. Stop being so impatient people! Less than a week to wait!

• Like 2

I will not applaud a simple ceremony .

The organization needs to have the dignity to make an incredible show. These speech: ' It will be simple but exciting ' . Which is repeated not like , in fact worries me ... Maybe 2016 would be appropriate 20 years ago .

I hope to be wrong on August 5 .

I'm still not a big fan of either the NHS segment or that one which followed. But the Pandemonium one was one of the best opening segments i've ever seen in my life.

Also I think Greece economy wasn't also that big when they hosted the 2004 games. Sure, the aftermath was a disaster but at least the actual games were not bad and the delays weren't as bad as Rio's.

I don't think there's Anthony wrong eith lowering our expectation. We need to learn to live with a different, more economical kind of Games and ceremony if we want more to see more developing nations to host the Games. It's just being realistic and managing expectation. 

6 minutes ago, neneu10 said:

Is M going to assign James Bond a new mission after London's? :P 

5 minutes ago, Rafael said:

579bad26d2e07.jpeg

Love and Peace symbol seems reminiscing to a certain part of Montreal 1976 opening where the performers formed that symbol during the Tribute to Athletes.

6 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

Is M going to assign James Bond a new mission after London's? :P 

Love and Peace symbol seems reminiscing to a certain part of Montreal 1976 opening where the performers formed that symbol during the Tribute to Athletes.

And London

PMFZFBq.jpg

l8Dazt5.jpg

1 hour ago, Ikarus360 said:

I'm still not a big fan of either the NHS segment or that one which followed. But the Pandemonium one was one of the best opening segments i've ever seen in my life.

Also I think Greece economy wasn't also that big when they hosted the 2004 games. Sure, the aftermath was a disaster but at least the actual games were not bad and the delays weren't as bad as Rio's.

Population of Greece: 11 million

Population of the Rio de Janeiro metropolitan area (which isn't even the largest in Brazil): 12 million

1 hour ago, brasilolimpico said:

I will not applaud a simple ceremony .

The organization needs to have the dignity to make an incredible show. These speech: ' It will be simple but exciting ' . Which is repeated not like , in fact worries me ... Maybe 2016 would be appropriate 20 years ago .

I hope to be wrong on August 5 .

l8Dazt5.jpg

1 hour ago, Ikarus360 said:

Forgot about that one. Then again I  put that segment in a special place of my mind where I like placing things I rather prefer to think they never happened. Ever.

I'm hoping "simple but exciting" means "not trying to cram too much in like that pop music / movies / love story segment in London did".

2 hours ago, OlymNay said:

Omg guys, u need to sotp! It's boring how you're jugding the hole cerimony just by pictures. LETS RIO SHINE without yours negative comments. I'm loving everything, it's so colorful, so alive. They are working so hard to give their best. Lets wait until august 5 to jugde

Well, correct judgment will probably be made by the August 3rd Dress Rehearsal.  Then we'll all know how it looks.

2 hours ago, kevzz said:

Maybe this is the first time we should really lower our expectation because this is the first time a developing country is hosting the games. We shouldn't expect the same quality and scale with other ceremonies of a more developed host country. 

Uhmm... Athens 1896?  Antwerp 1920?   Mexico 1968?  Seoul 1988?  Barcelona 1992?   Athens 2004?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I think ceremonies should be related more with ART and CREATIVITY (as Barcelona, Atlanta, Sydney and Salt Lake showed)  far more than a full technology display!! Come on guys! It seems you have never visited an exposition or a Museum... If you expect to find machines and robots in a Fine Art Museum.... you can probably expect a ceremony full of robots display....

Like how the costume depict arrows as if indicating where the athletes should be going. :P

Spain uniform for the opening is so much better than that abomination from 2012. Guess they learned the lesson of not hiring Bosco again for the job.

uniforme-juegos-olimpicos-espa%C3%B1a-20

Taiwan (Chinese Taipei) uniforms for the Opening Ceremony which were unveiled yesterday are also going the tropical (and neon) way

600_phpZ4N1AO.jpg

13671340_294805130868694_1854903814_n.jp

5 minutes ago, Nacholympic said:

I think ceremonies should be related more with ART and CREATIVITY (as Barcelona, Atlanta, Sydney and Salt Lake showed)  far more than a full technology display!! Come on guys! It seems you have never visited an exposition or a Museum... If you expect to find machines and robots in a Fine Art Museum.... you can probably expect a ceremony full of robots display....

I kind of agree with this. On recent years i've seen so many countries abusing of light projections in the floor so much ever since Doha 2006 and Vancouver it kinda became repetitive. 

If you watch the opening ceremony of the 2011 SEA Games, for example, while the projections were very impressive, the actual performances by the actors were very second-rate and forgettable. 

2 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

I kind of agree with this. On recent years i've seen so many countries abusing of light projections in the floor so much ever since Doha 2006 and Vancouver it kinda became repetitive. 

If you watch the opening ceremony of the 2011 SEA Games, for example, while the projections were very impressive, the actual performances by the actors were very second-rate and forgettable. 

And they can have many technological resources but few creativity as Russians ceremonies tend to do:

- Kazan 2013 was a sort of Olympic style ceremony, but it was a mixture of Athens and Vancouver.... Completely full of resources but none saw anything new...

- Sochi 2014 ceremonies had the same issue: full of resources but I think nobody can deny they were Vancouver 2.0 ceremonies... Again, anything new...

- Kazan 2015 FINA OC was totally impressive... but ... it was such the level of technological resources that you can get overwhelmed by them.... what about the actor performances???

- Singapore 2015 was really good... but again Vancouver and even Sochi (cauldron lighting) were present... and they were plenty of technology... but what about creativity???

- The use of video clips for London was replied once and again. Most of all the countdown clip: Deaflympics Sofia 2013, Glasglow 2014 OC, SEA Games 2015 Singapore....

- Remember Barcelona 92 ceremonies... few resources but they did something never seen at that time... So imprresive and original... only start with the floor carpet covering on... even tll today, ceremonies resemble Barcelona's... Take a look on EYOF Tbilisi, Georgia 2015 Opening Ceremony....

38 minutes ago, neneu10 said:

Uniform from the volunteers of Parade of Nations...

40db353024.jpg

23 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

They should have made it look like this...  :lol:

Image result for Hillary CLinton logo images  

That would have been too blatant, but it is notable that the red arrow is the dominant element of the uniform design, so maybe a little subliminal marketing is being attempted on Hillary's behalf.

• Like 1