Sign in to follow this  
Alexjc

Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

4 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

That's not from the BBC live coverage, but from the BBC DVD "Director's Cut" version, using later edits by Danny Boyle.

Ohhh :( I thought It was from the Live coverage,.... :(

4 hours ago, Oooswald said:

I don't know how people can be negative or positive about photos like that. They don't show anything meaningful  to create a opinion about the OC.

Of course... The one who doesn't want to "spoil" the surprise it's easy.... LEAVE THIS FORUM!!!!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oooswald said:

I think that's the main problem: people usually put ther personal preferences above all, as I see in your quote "If there is funk in I am out".

Funk is a very rich musical style, created and consumed by a large marginalized (but not only ) portion of the Rio's population. If the opening ceremony was thought to be full of music, related to the formation of Brazilian society and the different types of immigrations who formed the country... it's impossible to leave out samba, funk, rap and other musical styles. The singers mentioned so far are very plural and representative for Brazil and Rio de Janeiro.

Everyone is entitled to dislike specific music styles or singers. They may not be well liked for you or a particular group of people, but we need to look outside the bubble that we live in.

Funk is ugly for itself. Technically speaking, music is made up of three elements: rhythm, melody and harmony. The less melody and harmony you have, less sophisticated the music is. Needless to say that the funk is purely repetitive beats. Funk has been imposed on children and adolescents by drug dealers. It does not belong to Rio's popular. Few funk lyrics that could be seen as interesting, Few ones. But even these few interesting ones are compromised  when you realize that the Rio’s funk culture’s great stimulators are the drug lords, that prostitution of children and adolescents in the funk dances these criminals promote or support is immense. This discourse that the funk is a cultural expression of marginalized people, of people who do not have opportunities, is rudimentary and has no basis. There are many social works done in slums in which children are given the opportunity of a healthy contact with the sophisticated musical art. Put the funk in the OC is a moral irresponsibility. It will only increase the number of children and adolescents who feel themselves legitimized and applauded by following what drug dealers want them to do. It will be a slap in the face of the Brazilian nation and an unprecedented international shame. This point of view is not only mine. It is shared by the overwhelming majority of our population, especially by parents of children and adolescents who, unaware of what the implications are, surrender themselves to the will of the same criminals who curtail their freedom by isolating them inside the dirty world of the same outlaws that have the city under siege.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mauricio said:

Funk is ugly for itself. Technically speaking, music is made up of three elements: rhythm, melody and harmony. The less melody and harmony you have, less sophisticated the music is. Needless to say that the funk is purely repetitive beats. Funk has been imposed on children and adolescents by drug dealers. It does not belong to Rio's popular. Few funk lyrics that could be seen as interesting, Few ones. But even these few interesting ones are compromised  when you realize that the Rio’s funk culture’s great stimulators are the drug lords, that prostitution of children and adolescents in the funk dances these criminals promote or support is immense. This discourse that the funk is a cultural expression of marginalized people, of people who do not have opportunities, is rudimentary and has no basis. There are many social works done in slums in which children are given the opportunity of a healthy contact with the sophisticated musical art. Put the funk in the OC is a moral irresponsibility. It will only increase the number of children and adolescents who feel themselves legitimized and applauded by following what drug dealers want them to do. It will be a slap in the face of the Brazilian nation and an unprecedented international shame. This point of view is not only mine. It is shared by the overwhelming majority of our population, especially by parents of children and adolescents who, unaware of what the implications are, surrender themselves to the will of the same criminals who curtail their freedom by isolating them inside the dirty world of the same outlaws that have the city under siege.

Define: overreacting.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Iceman said:

So where will the athletes be in all this? On the floor as usual?

They already lost about 10-12,000 seats behind that stage...so no way can they seat 9,500 athletes; and still hope to make a little money on the event.  So that would have been 25% of the 80,000 seats if they still had the athletes sit down.  A 1/4th loss of full house revenues.  And what would you have on the big empty floor anyway? 

7 hours ago, Oooswald said:

I think that's the main problem: people usually put ther personal preferences above all, as I see in your quote "If there is funk in I am out".

Funk is a very rich musical style, created and consumed by a large marginalized (but not only ) portion of the Rio's population. If the opening ceremony was thought to be full of music, related to the formation of Brazilian society and the different types of immigrations who formed the country... it's impossible to leave out samba, funk, rap and other musical styles. The singers mentioned so far are very plural and representative for Brazil and Rio de Janeiro.

Everyone is entitled to dislike specific music styles or singers. They may not be well liked for you or a particular group of people, but we need to look outside the bubble that we live in.

It is not a kind of personal prefference. Funk is ugly for itself. Technically speaking, music is made up of three elements: rhythm, melody and harmony. The less melody and harmony you have, less sophisticated the music is. Needless to say that the funk is purely repetitive beats. Funk has been imposed on children and adolescents by drug dealers. It does not belong to Rio's popular culture. Few funk lyrics could be seen as interesting. Few ones. But even these few "interesting" ones are compromised  when you realize that the Rio’s funk culture’s great stimulators are the drug lords, that prostitution of children and adolescents in the funk dances these criminals promote or support is immense. This discourse that the funk is a cultural expression of marginalized people, of people who do not have opportunities, is rudimentary and has no basis. There are many social works done in slums in which children are given the opportunity of a healthy contact with the sophisticated musical art. Putting the funk in the OC is a moral irresponsibility. It will only increase the number of children and adolescents who feel themselves legitimized and applauded by following what drug dealers want them to do. It will be a slap in the face of the Brazilian nation and an unprecedented international shame. This point of view is not only mine. It is shared by the overwhelming majority of our population, especially by parents of children and adolescents who, unaware of what the implications are, surrender themselves to the will of the same criminals who curtail their freedom by isolating them inside the dirty world of the same outlaws that have the city under siege

7 minutes ago, neneu10 said:

13723887_554965088025215_628465198805821

13735129_554965188025205_678759755796921

13731846_554965201358537_802384308817106

i wonder if it's part of the actual show or just a cover because their testing something the the box city. 

either way it very annoying even london had bit of information and tested it at night

5 minutes ago, yoshi said:

What is geometrization? It's a very odd name for a segment...:unsure:

Uh-oh.

If somebody's about to answer that question in any detail, I may have to stop reading this topic!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, adrianme17 said:

Could it be part of the olympic rings sequence? as there is a ring in the centre of the awning thingy? 

Possibly.  But why would they project Olympic rings on to that awny thingy and not on to the central arena white stadium floor ?

I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

That sole ring on the awning looks also to be, at this angle, to be directly under the end of those overhead 'tracks' running out from behind the screen where it is speculated the cauldron might travel outwards on.

• Like 1

The ring on the awning could also be a rehearsal spot lighting marker for the Cauldron lighter/s who may, it seems from that earlier photo, rise up on that Seoul-style circular podium from amongst the boxe to meet the Cauldron travelling outward on the overhead tracks ( ? )

Who knows?  Part of the fun is picking through the clues, so could be way off

• Like 1

It looks like something for the real ceremony, not just a test or to hide the boxes behind. Intrigued!

• Like 1

Does anyone remember how much London's ceremony was leaked after the dress rehearsal? 

35 minutes ago, kevzz said:

Does anyone remember how much London's ceremony was leaked after the dress rehearsal? 

When are the dress rehearsals?

"(...) the Rio 2016 communication's executive, Mario Andrada confirmed that the city will have two cauldrons during the Games. Besides Candelária, the other place that will receive the flame will be the Maracana. The idea is that one flame will be wiped out while the other one is lit. The flame at Maracana will be lit at the opening ceremony on August 5th.

- We'll make some kind of magic to transfer the Olympic flame from Maracana to Candelaria. Outside that, I can't give more details - commented Mario". 

http://globoesporte.globo.com/olimpiadas/noticia/2016/07/eduardo-paes-e-thomas-bach-visitam-orla-conde-onde-ficara-pira-olimpica.html

• Like 1