• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who cares if performers are world famous or not? As long as they work for the show, in the moment, that's what matters most. These ceremonies are about cities showing the world the face THEY want

Omg guys, u need to sotp! It's boring how you're jugding the hole cerimony just by pictures. LETS RIO SHINE without yours negative comments. I'm loving everything, it's so colorful, so alive. They are

I watched quite a lot of the videos and pictures you guys thankfully posted here, and I must say, that I'm looking very much forward to the opening ceremony. What I have seen so far is surprisingly im

yeah, I gotta admit, that was pretty pathetic lol

but it is also very biased. There are plenty of other videos showing their design working properly.

Yes, you can find videos of this plane flying but only after 1906, with the version with improvements, not the original of 1903/1905.

London in 2012 showed Sir Tim Berners Lee, the father of the internet. I did not know about this guy until this moment of the ceremony.
would
Santos Dumont invented the airplane. He was the FIRST MAN TO FLY IN WORLD in France in 1906. You can found monuments of Santos Dumont in France. I just think would be awesome show a tribute to this man, like the first airplane, the 14 bis in the ceremony.

I knew you would bring up Berners-Lee. I would accept the inclusion of Berners-Lee as 'acceptable' because the coverage of the Olympics is now possible through the internet ...and this invisible "thing" has changed lives of 21st century earthlings.

As for flight, I would -- as I said -- credit Leonardo da Vinci first and the Montgolfieri brothers because those guys were first in conceptualizing and actually 'flying' in the air. But again, the invention of the 'airplane' has NOTHING to do with the Olympics. I mean if air races were included, maybe.

Anyway, I doubt that Santos Dumont is going to figure in the OC.

London got away with Tim Berners Lee because he indisputably invented the World Wide Web. Something like human flight, or a telephone, etc. have more controversial origins, and it's a little more difficult for them to be included in a ceremony.

I knew you would bring up Berners-Lee. I would accept the inclusion of Berners-Lee as 'acceptable' because the coverage of the Olympics is now possible through the internet ...and this invisible "thing" has changed lives of 21st century earthlings.

As for flight, I would -- as I said -- credit Leonardo da Vinci first and the Montgolfieri brothers because those guys were first in conceptualizing and actually 'flying' in the air. But again, the invention of the 'airplane' has NOTHING to do with the Olympics. I mean if air races were included, maybe.

Anyway, I doubt that Santos Dumont is going to figure in the OC.

London got away with Tim Berners Lee because he indisputably invented the World Wide Web. Something like human flight, or a telephone, etc. have more controversial origins, and it's a little more difficult for them to be included in a ceremony.

The OC of the World Cup in 2014 had references to Santos Dumont. I dont see problems show he in the OC of the Olympics. Was just an idea.

And the web/net is a fairly recent, "incredible" phenomenon...which impacts nearly everyone's life today -- thus, its universal application. The idea of "flight" is, well, around since Ikarus' time. :lol: And that's why you have the fly-bys. That takes care of tribute to flight -- if you start the OC in daylight.

(Yeah, Beijing used paper, the compass, the moveable printing block, and fireworks -- but those are great, NON-motorized contributions to human civilization and which Zhang Yimou related magnificently. Although I thought the choice of paper was controversial since papyrus is also an early form of paper -- but they needed that angle to tell and validate the 'scrolls' theme )

If you're going to do 'flight,' then how about other 19th-20th century discoveries and inventions: X-rays, the telephone, computers, genome mapping, human transplants, particle-colliding, etc. ? Then it becomes a 'science' show rather than a mindless, spectacle-wow! show which the Ceremonies tend to be.

Plus, the idea of an 'airplane' goes against one of the basic criteria of what sports get included in the Olympic Games -- nothing motorized. The Olympic Games are a celebration of sheer human effort and sweat -- NOT something motor-driven. Thus, I find the big disconnect.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

And the web/net is a fairly recent, "incredible" phenomenon...which impacts nearly everyone's life today -- thus, its universal application. The idea of "flight" is, well, around since Ikarus' time. :lol: And that's why you have the fly-bys. That takes care of tribute to flight -- if you start the OC in daylight.

(Yeah, Beijing used paper, the compass, the moveable printing block, and fireworks -- but those are great contributions to human civilization and which Zhang Yimou related magnificently.)

If you're going to do 'flight,' then how about other 19th-20th century discoveries and inventions: X-rays, the telephone, computers, genome mapping, human transplants, particle-colliding, etc. ? Then it becomes a 'science' show rather than a mindless, spectacle-wow! show which the Ceremonies tend to be.

Why not? Maybe you do not and too smart to show that.
Ask to most stupid people in Brazil who is this guy, everyone knows he invented the airplane, is an national hero.
If i say for u they should show Pelé in OP? "oh no but he is a idol of soccer, the olympic games is about all sports...".
I know my country, and I'm sure as Santos Dumont was shown in the OC of the World Cup he could be shown in the OC of the Olympic Games.
  • Like 1
Why not? Maybe you do not and too smart to show that.
Ask to most stupid people in Brazil who is this guy, everyone knows he invented the airplane, is an national hero.
If i say for u they should show Pelé in OP? "oh no but he is a idol of soccer, the olympic games is about all sports...".
I know my country, and I'm sure as Santos Dumont was shown in the OC of the World Cup he could be shown in the OC of the Olympic Games.

Did I say you "don't know your country"? Yeah, you know your country, but then you don't know what the IOC and the people in charge of Ceremonies would consider appropriate, feasible and presentable; do you?

Anyway, since you are so bull-headed, more power to you then.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

For a guy who's always claiming to have a major role in the Atlanta opening ceremony, you'd think Baron would remember the role of pickup trucks in that ceremony, and not go ripping other posters for suggesting Brazil might feature a motor vehicle or two

Did I say you "don't know your country"? Yeah, you know your country, but then you don't know what the IOC and the people in charge of Ceremonies would consider appropriate, feasible and presentable; do you?

Anyway, since you are so bull-headed, more power to you then.

I read the ceremonies was aproved in last week.

I dont have idea if they will show Santos Dumont. But i think its not a problem if u are a criative director.

For a guy who's always claiming to have a major role in the Atlanta opening ceremony, you'd think Baron would remember the role of pickup trucks in that ceremony, and not go ripping other posters for suggesting Brazil might feature a motor vehicle or two

lol exactly. What a f**king embarrassment to the US that Atlanta OC was! Chevy trucks, college cheerleading, bleh! I'm surprised they didn't perform an actual American football game right in front of us, or pitch tailgating tents and have the performers do keg stands! As much as I'd love for another US olympic games to happen, if they're going to create such a s**t OC similar to that one I'd rather not be cruel to the rest of the world and have us never host another Olympics again!

As far as plane-gate goes, I don't care who invented the first airplane, nor does the rest of the world, nor should the rest of the world care. But I have no problem if Rio wants to somehow honor this guy for his invention, so long as they don't make the whole ceremony about him or an excessive elaborate theme about his invention. I mean Brazil should consider spending a few minutes honoring the inventions or ideals that has helped mold the rest of the world. This is their chance to show the rest of the world some history and culture that they wouldn't other recognize any other way. They cannot f**k it up because they won't get another shot at this for a very long time, if ever again. So don't do something along the lines of Atlanta's OC, or London's either.

Oh also since the field will be used for soccer/football games, I assume that we won't see anything rise above the ground like in London, Athens or Beijing? It could be a compromise to the field for players so I imagine they will avoid doing such a thing. So we're going to expect an OC like Sydney's probably. That's just my guess I could be wrong and they could find a way to pull it off without compromising anything.

• Like 2

Working out why a nation chose to include certain things and not include others is what makes these things interesting. Things don't have to have global recognition to be included. I don't get why we need to be so prescriptive. If Brazil wants to include this aeroplane guy, fine by me. It might seem odd but it tells us how they see themselves and what they value, as opposed to how we would stereotypically see them.

(that said, DON'T skimp on the carnival stuff!)

LIAR. I've NEVER claimed to have had "...a major role." I participated. I'VE NEVER said I was instrumental in any way in what unfolded in Atlanta.

What a yokel you are to think that I was instrumental...or EVEN LIKED...the use of those GM trucks. When did I EVER say any of the things you claim? That's why I find you a despicable poster. U're a 3rd-rate LIAR and fabricator of fiction.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I read the ceremonies was aproved in last week.

I dont have idea if they will show Santos Dumont. But i think its not a problem if u are a criative director.

Bairrosfelipe where did you read that?! Legal.....they will have time to make history.

If I may, I would like to say to the ceremonies organizers: light, don´t forget the light (in the stadium). I think Sochi and even Beijing were a bit dark...It doesn´t work well on tv screen.

Bairrosfelipe where did you read that?! Legal.....they will have time to make history.

If I may, I would like to say to the ceremonies organizers: light, don´t forget the light (in the stadium). I think Sochi and even Beijing were a bit dark...It doesn´t work well on tv screen.

I read it somewhere on the LanceNet blog.
For sure they will not forget lighting. Anyway the lighting maracana stadium is awesome, the problem is the center of the stadium, i mean the football field.
Aerial View of ilumantion.
2013-661590871-2013110629233.jpg_2013110
Inside the Stadium.
maracan%C3%A3-azul.jpg
Maracana_Erica_Ramalho.jpg?w=620&h=600
  • Like 1

Sorry. I have read in Globo.com, not in the LanceNet.

Here is the link http://globoesporte.globo.com/olimpiadas/noticia/2015/02/rio-2016-caminha-para-ter-duas-piras-olimpicas-proposta-sera-apresentada.html

Awesome!! "Em quatro horas, a história do Rio e do Brasil deverão ser contadas de um jeito que emocione o público no Maracanã e 4 bilhões de pessoas, audiência televisiva estimada"...so they will try to touch in people´s hearts just like I said.

And maybe Rio will have TWO olympic cauldrons. I think it´s a good idea, but they should think very well how they will do that.

Obrigado bairrosfelipe!!! :lol:

I think the article contains additional interesting information - for example, that the roof of Maracana Stadium is not strong enough to carry all the equipment needed for lighting, sound etc. during the Olympic ceremonies and that they will therefore construct four temporary pillars outside the stadium, suspended above the roof, for the distribution of the load.

Here's what Google Translate made out of the article:

25/02/2015 6:00 a.m.- Updated25/02/2015 10h46
2016 goes to have two Olympic pyres; proposal will be presented Flame to be lit at the Maracana during the opening ceremony, but Engenhão Olympic stadium and home of athletics, should also receive symbol

Leonardo Filipo * Rio de Janeiro

The Olympic Games in Rio will have two pyres, something unheard of since the symbol was adopted in the edition of 1928 in Amsterdam. Since then, the flame is lit at the Olympic Stadium, which receives the opening and closing ceremonies, and which hosts the track and field events, noblest sport the competition. But in Rio for something different. The ceremonies will be 2016 at the Maracana, while the Olympic Stadium will be the Engenhão, home of athletics - both will also receive football matches. Thus, the dilemma arose.

Special: check the progress of the Olympic works

It is possible for two pyres are lit at the same time - one in the Maracanã and another in Engenhão - preventing a shift is made of the Olympic flame from a stage to another after the opening ceremony. The possibility is part of the first script of ceremonies who is ready and will be presented this week by the Organizing Committee for the 2016 Games to the International Olympic Committee during the visit to Rio entity of the Steering Committee.

gramados_maracana-div-15.jpg Maracana extra lighting will be enhanced by pillars installed on the outside (Reuters)

Rule 54 of the Olympic Charter says that the Organising Committee is responsible for bringing the flame to the Olympic Stadium, as stressed the IOC press office:

- In Rio, the Olympic Stadium will be the site of athletics, and the ceremonies are scheduled for the Maracanã. It is now up to the Games Organizing Committee to make a proposal for the location of the flame with the creative concept of the ceremonies.

IOC president Thomas Bach says not yet considered the possibility, but believe a good solution. The fact that the Maracanã be a tourist spot and stay better located than Engenhão can also influence the decision to have two Olympic flames in 2016.

- Frankly I have not thought about it. I'm sure we will find a good solution. I am very much in favor of a solution where people can see the Olympic cauldron is in the city and thus feel the Olympic spirit.

Director ceremonies of Rio 2016, Leonardo Caetano confirms the possibility of two pyres in Rio Games:

- You must have a pyre at the Maracana, because that is where she lights. And the Olympic Stadium, historically, has a fire. So, at least two pyres is the way to think about. But that is not decided. In the presentation to the IOC I need not say how the cauldron will be lit, but where it will stay.

Condense CHALLENGE DIVERSITY OF BRAZIL

In four hours, the history of Rio and Brazil should be told in a way that wow the audience at the Maracana and 4 billion people, estimated television audience. During this period the Olympic rituals will also be inserted, as the parade of 10,500 athletes, the raising of the flag of the five rings, vows, speeches from authorities and the lighting of the cauldron, the grand finale, the identity of the person and the way it is carried out are kept secret so far.

The design of the Olympic ceremonies will be in charge of film directors Fernando Meirelles and Andrucha Waddington, and theater director and screenwriter Daniela Thomas cinema. They were in Paris last month for meetings and technical area of ​​testing to discuss the feasibility of ideas. The Paralympic Games, the work will be done by the writer and playwright Marcelo Rubens Paiva, by artist Vik Muniz and designer Fred Gelli. The executive oversight of the Olympic ceremony is the set designer Abel Gomes and Paralympic, Flávio Machado, both of SRCom company. The executive board of the Italian Marco Balich. Condense the diversity of Brazil in such a short time and thrill without falling into stereotypes are challenges of the two teams.

- The choices seem easy to do, but in Brazil we could do a ceremony with each rhythm, such is our diversity. The difficulty is how to punctuate what you want to do without being a crazy medley, want to achieve everything, but somehow also be generous with the diversity of Brazil. We want to be Brazilian, but without being stereotyped. The mission of the trios is basically get a thread that I can dare and show everyone our cultural peculiarities. The big challenge is to make a show that pride and impact the Brazilian from A to Z, but is representative of our culture for 4 billion people will watch - said Leonardo Caetano.

A carnival, whose name has not been defined, will be integrated into the team to take care of part of the ceremonies on the most popular party in the country. There is no taboo subject.

- We believe that every theme makes sense, if elegantly addressed and working consistently. We could address, for example, street culture, without any problem. We are not bound by the canonical forms of art. Some things I can not yet speak, but we want to do an approach that is very comprehensive and contemporary - completed.

dscn2177.jpg House of athletics at the Games, Engenhão can receive another Olympic cauldron (Photo: Cauê Rademaker / GloboEsporte.com)

MARACANÃ WITHOUT WORKS NEW

In 2013 the International Olympic Committee warned the state government on the tunnel measures of access to the countryside and the new cover of the Maracanã, raising the possibility of new works after the reconstruction of the stadium for the World Cup. New works were discarded by the government. To transform the stage in a theater with stage lighting and speakers, you would install 120 tons of equipment on the roof, which holds 81 tons. The initial solution will distribute the load on four pillars provisionally installed outside, suspended above the roof. A system of cables and scenographic parts. The scenic facilities will have to fit the size of the access tunnels.

- The Maracanã is not meant to receive an Olympics opening ceremony, because of the type of stage lighting and equipment that is backed up. We will have to do creative solutions. Since some small intervention to temporary solutions. We have a parade of 8000 athletes and 8000 extras. So we're talking about a 20 thousand people drive, with total backstage. We have to balance budget with good sense what I like to do and the cost benefit of this - said Caetano.

With the approved script, begins pre-production until the early trials in March next year. The budget of the ceremonies is not yet defined and will be paid by Rio 2016. The Maracanã Committee shall be delivered to the entity six months before the Olympic Games.

A "double cauldron" scenario makes a lot of sense to me, since the Olympic Flame has become a very iconic symbol also as photo and TV backdrop during athletic competitions at the Games. Maracana will see only a few football matches (of which most will probably not get as much attention around the world as the athletic events at Engenhao), so the flame would play only a minor role during the Games if it sat only there. And I suppose that they'll have a smaller version of the Maracana cauldron at Engenhao. In both cases, I even think they might repeat London's idea of having only a rather minor cauldron with its base on the ground, especially considering that Maracana's roof is already unable to cope all the load of the ceremonial sound and lighting equipment.

Yes, maracana is not strong enough to endure the lighting equipamentes. But that does not mean that there will be extra lighting, in addition to that already exists in the stadium.

About olympic pyre I have no idea of what they intend to do. One of the presidents of the olympic committee said he did not know about the idea of having two pyres olimpcias.

Yes, maracana is not strong enough to endure the lighting equipamentes. But that does not mean that there will be extra lighting, in addition to that already exists in the stadium.

No; they won't need the extra lighting because you say it is NOT necessary. Why shouldn't they listen to you -- after all, you "...know your country!"