• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who cares if performers are world famous or not? As long as they work for the show, in the moment, that's what matters most. These ceremonies are about cities showing the world the face THEY want

Omg guys, u need to sotp! It's boring how you're jugding the hole cerimony just by pictures. LETS RIO SHINE without yours negative comments. I'm loving everything, it's so colorful, so alive. They are

I watched quite a lot of the videos and pictures you guys thankfully posted here, and I must say, that I'm looking very much forward to the opening ceremony. What I have seen so far is surprisingly im

At that point for London OC 4 years ago, we already knew the green countryside, the floor that was the map, the Industrial revolution segment, the NHS segment....

Now we barely know some pics of the floor and some strange boxes that probably will cointain water around....

I don´t think so, Baron. Pelé is not an Olympian and he has already taken part of the handover in London. That would be more of the same.

The first guy who lit the Berlin 1936 cauldron was NOT an Olympian when he lit the cauldron. The 3 people who lit the cauldron in Seoul were NOT Olympians. The 7 young athletes in London were NOT Olympians yet. The Crown Prince in Lillehammer wasn't. Wayne Gretzky was NOT an Olympian. All you need is global stature. Why did they feature Pele at the Closing in London?

Besides, there will be at least 2 caldera. So you could have 3 lighting it at Maracana, then maybe 2 at the downtown site. So someone with as much global renown as Pele, surely, they will give one of those spots to him. I think Nuzman will be one; Oscar Schmidt probably the other. Maybe 2 from Volleyball (one indoor and one beach -- at least one woman).

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The 3 people who lit the cauldron in Seoul were NOT Olympians. The 7 young athletes in London were NOT Olympians yet. The Crown Prince in Lillehammer wasn't. All you need is global stature. And for Rio 2016, that will be Pele.

What about Vanderlei de Lima. He became wellknown worlwide due to his incident in Athens 2004 and he became a representative of the Olympic values: determination, fair play, attitude.. He got a bronze that meant gold... etc etc etc.... you know...

6ab31b8c-39e3-4df3-9b45-4026072ea612.jpg

What about Vanderlei de Lima. He became wellknown worlwide due to his incident in Athens 2004 and he became a representative of the Olympic values: determination, fair play, attitude.. He got a bronze that meant gold... etc etc etc.... you know...

6ab31b8c-39e3-4df3-9b45-4026072ea612.jpg

Yeah. I'd say he makes a good candidate. They will probably have a good mix of Brazilians who have brought honor to the country in the field of sports, whether Olympian or not. Is there a Brazilian Nobel Prize winner still living and healthy? They may even include him/her.

The first guy who lit the Berlin 1936 cauldron was NOT an Olympian when he lit the cauldron. The 3 people who lit the cauldron in Seoul were NOT Olympians. The 7 young athletes in London were NOT Olympians yet. The Crown Prince in Lillehammer wasn't. Wayne Gretzky was NOT an Olympian. All you need is global stature. Why did they feature Pele at the Closing in London?

Besides, there will be at least 2 caldera. So you could have 3 lighting it at Maracana, then maybe 2 at the downtown site. So someone with as much global renown as Pele, surely, they will give one of those spots to him. I think Nuzman will be one; Oscar Schmidt probably the other. Maybe 2 from Volleyball (one indoor and one beach -- at least one woman).

Wayne Gretzky was an Olympian in 1998 lol.

Good ones. I have the feeling that they won´t forget Lars Grael. You see, for all he is and has suffered, it is hard to find someone worthier than him. One may say it is not the Paralympics OC, but his career wasn't in paralympics too.

And of course the most admired torch lighting of all time was by a Paralympian rather than an Olympian, Antonio Rebollo.

Maybe they can get Pele to kick a flaming soccer ball into the cauldron.

Argentina was going to get Messi to do that at the next YOG Opening, but changed their minds a couple of days ago for safety reasons.

Don't recommend it. That often ends in awkward situations like this one

Or this one (go to 5:32)

Newspaper 'Folha de Sao Paulo' reveals some details of OC

Dancers rehearse the rhythm of funk carioca.

In a climbing wall, dancers rehearse precise movements.

parkour athletes give risky jumps amid a complex choreography.

Each member was music with a headset for you, this facilitates the simultaneous trials, as a music does not interfere with the other.

The Maracana should haber 46,000 people at the opening, between guests and those with tickets.

Among the singers to sing quoted: Caetano Veloso, Carlinhos Brown and Arnaldo Antunes.

The party is made to last 4 hours.

The script is a mixture of Brazilian culture to be packed for Brazilian music.

Samba should occupy 20% of the ceremony, with percussionists of 'battery of the samba schools' should participate.

The bet to surprise the audience will be the '' mass choreographies ''

PROTESTS IN CEREMONY

Organizers are also working the psychological dancers, want to avoid the 2013 scene when at the end of the FIFA Confederations Cup was demonstration with placards in the middle of the presentation.

The a promise of directors is:

'' THIS WILL NOT BE A PARTY DEAREST OF HISTORY, BUT IS THE MOST EXCITING ''

Wayne Gretzky was an Olympian in 1998 lol.

Oh. OK (doesn't really figure on my radar). But a few other non-Olympians, off the top of my head:

- little Robyn Perry of Calgary was not;

- Sandra Henderson & Stefan Prefontaine for Montreal 1976.

- I know the Lighters for Tokyo (happened to be born on the day of Hiroshima) and a schoolboy (Sapporo).

- France tends to pick weird ones: little Francois Syrille-Grange w/ Michael Platini for Albertville; and then in Grenoble 1968, they relit the flame in the indoor Palais des Sports in downtown Grenoble by a local Grenoble wrestler Claude Robin (I don't know if he had Olympic credentials).

- Dr. Charles Kerr of Lake Placid 1980 was voted from among the 52 Torchrunners by his fellow torchruners.

There are a few others...London 1948; Rome 1960. The Winters tend to be more adventurous than the Summer ones.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
requebram dancers to the rhythm of "small step" funk carioca in a tent. In a climbing wall outdoors, dancers rehearse precise movements. parkour athletes (urban sport to overcome obstacles) are oriented to give risky jumps amid a complex choreography on an imaginary stage.
With headphones, each member listens to his music and the instructions of the choreographers. To the casual observer, everything happens almost in silence, broken by the sound of cars and trains neighborhood.
As montassem a huge puzzle, hundreds of artists and volunteers rehearse daily in secrecy, all details of the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in Rio, most media spectacle of the competition.
The hearing scheduled for the show is nearly 1 billion viewers on television in more than 150 countries. The Maracana, the ceremony stage, will be 46,000 people, including guests and paying.
Folha had access to the backstage and followed on Thursday (23) for three and a half hours the tests.
The venue for the training is a former military area of 39,000 square meters (equivalent to 18 football fields) overlooking the stadium, in northern Rio.
"This is a military organization played by artists. We have to get the best of both worlds for everything to work on August 5 [date of the opening of the Olympics]," says Leonardo Caetano, Ceremonies Director of Rio-2016.
He is responsible for coordinating a legion of almost 12 000 actors, dancers and extras, plus thousand producers of 30 nationalities involved in the event.
The festival attractions are kept secret. Caetano Veloso, Carlinhos Brown and Arnaldo Antunes are some quoted to sing on the show.
Designed to last nearly four hours, the opening of the Games is directed by Fernando Meirelles, Andrucha Waddington and Daniela Thomas and wants to tell the formation of Brazilian society in order to show that immigration is positive.
The script is a synthesis of popular culture packed by the vigorous rhythm of Brazilian music, with choreography created by Deborah Colker.
Samba must occupy almost 20% of the ceremony. Percussionists of Rio's samba schools batteries will join the party.
Without the same luxury of the Beijing-08 and-12 London Games, event directors intend to surprise the audience with "mass choreography" enthralled by the volunteers at the Maracana lawn.
With six ceremonies of Olympics in his career, the American Steve Boyd is responsible for replicating to all the show's cast choreography devised by Colker.
Sustainability is one of the show's focus.
"The strength of our ceremony will be working with more people and fewer things and props. Because when the party ends, things generate waste," explained Leonardo Caetano
ISOLATION
The "Olympic Broadway" runs from 9 am to about 23h daily. There, the excitement is constant since May.
Despite rampant in and out, the place is an almost deserted area of the city, squeezed between the train station Maracana and the Morro da Mangueira.
To maintain isolation, producers closed space with fences over three meters that prevent the eyes of the curious.
The peak time is early evening when hundreds of volunteers arrive to test their choreographies. On Thursday, about 800 participated in the training.
Everyone involved signed a confidentiality agreement, which provides for heavy fines (undisclosed amount) in case of breach of contract.
At the entrance, they get the keys of the cupboards and the receiver, used to listen to the messages of choreographers. Then receive snacks and identification vests.
In a huge tent, volunteers attend a lecture before heading to a huge asphalt track. There, the two producers designed Maracana lawn replicas.
Full of markings, the track turns into a stage where different groups rehearse the choreography.
"The phones serve not to disturb the other groups. Imagine every type of music being played for all these groups at the same time. Everyone would come out goons here," joked Caetano.
"Other than that, these devices give us more time to work at night without disturbing and draw the attention of neighbors," he added.
Experienced in Olympic ceremonies, Italian Sara Berutto says the secret to the success of the event is "this addition of small jobs that in the end makes the show." "Solidarity is here. We need the person delivering the key of the cabinets, the one that puts the chairs in the meeting room. If these people are not valued, the show does not come out at the end," said the Italian in Turin, manager cast of volunteers.
AIR CLOSED SPACE
The careful not to leak the details of the party so much that the organizers managed to Anac's approval to close the airspace of the Maracana in a radius of one kilometer.
About two months helicopter recorded the first changes inside the stadium. A stage has being building there. The stage is getting set design and special light.
"Our intention is to surprise the spectator. We want the fans get there and find a Maracanã completely different," said Caetano, who also coordinates the Olympics closing ceremony and the other two of Paralympics.
This month, the mayor of Rio, Eduardo Paes (PMDB), said it needs R$ 250 million to fund the four ceremonies. He asked for help to the interim president Michel Temer.

"In a climbing wall outdoors, dancers rehearse precise movements."

Deborah Colker dancers in a "clibing wall". Maybe are we going to see something like this?

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6GkCjcZ5RA

• Like 2

/\/\ Speakers, I believe.

Yeah.

JV0x8MY.jpg
Luiz Eduardo Noleto

This made me remind some statements I read some time ago here on GB, that said Maracanã's new coverage was too fragile, it cuoldn´t support any weight, things like that. Well, as I read at the time of the reform, it was said that the coverage has the capacity to support up to 45 tons. Please, correct me if I´m mistaken.