Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/ric-birch-quits-rio-olympics-role-after-budget-for-ceremonies-production-slashed-75-per-cent/news-story/39ce233c7f1580d453ffec8afb7acb3b

Oh god. The worst thing which could happen just happened. You know stuff is bad when Ric Birch himself leaves the building. I was trying to be positive but after this I think its safe to say we should start to lower our expectations.

British newspaper? Go to BBC link: http://www.bbc.com/portuguese/noticias/2016/02/160205_video_abertura_rio2016_jp

Unfortunately, it's in Portuguese,

• Like 1

British newspaper? Go to BBC link: http://www.bbc.com/portuguese/noticias/2016/02/160205_video_abertura_rio2016_jp

Unfortunately, it's in Portuguese,

"Queremos conseguir que pelo menos um momento das quatro cerimônias seja memorável"

Aiming for at least ONE memorable moment out of FOUR ceremonies? No. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

PS: "a largura dos túneis de acesso ao campo, o que deve tornar o desfile dos atletas um pouco mais longo do que o habitual nas cerimônias de abertura"

is not reassuring either. The aim should always be to reduce the length of the athlete's parade.

So does that mean they're going for a Pre-1980 style ceremony, & if so, could they hold it in daylight hours - making it more practically viewable for those in Europe & Asia?

' não serão "simples, nem pobres", mas sim "ricas e sofisticadas", com direito a "experiências sensoriais" ' doesn't sound very pre-1980

and "2 mil canhões de luz e 3 mil kg de fogos de artifício" puts it firmly in night-time, and hence US primetime (but will NBC still deem it too "complex" to show live?)

The aim should always be to reduce the length of the athlete's parade.

Having only a single athlete would, of course, be the ultimate way of reducing the length of the athletes' parade. Aren't apostrophes wonderful?

So does that mean they're going for a Pre-1980 style ceremony, & if so, could they hold it in daylight hours - making it more practically viewable for those in Europe & Asia?

More like post 1980s, pre-2000s. We could very well be expecting the worst OC since 1996 Atlanta!

But I would think they would consider doing at least some of the ceremony in daylight just to conserve energy, seeing as how they're trying to save every penny they can lol

Well, we don't want another Sochi, do we. Maybe we should be commending the Brazilian a bit (instead of making fun about trying to save every "penny" that they can) of trying to be a little cost-conscience instead of being frivolous about spending, ala the Chinese, Russians & even the Greeks (at the last minute). That said, I'd still expect a very culturally fabulous opening ceremonies from the Brazilians.

I'm going to get killed by some for what i'm going to say, but....if Brazilians didn't wanted to spend so much money, why they threw themselves to host the Olympics to begin with? Didn't they knew beforehand already of all the money Beijing spent + the Greece Crisis in 2009? I know there is a crisis and everything but to affect the ceremonies too is now getting ridiculous.

By the way, thanks for reminding us once again doing the ceremonies at Maracana because "muh legendary stadium" and stuff was a huge mistake to begin with because of all the limitations. But when we said it back then a lot of people got butthurt. Well, i hate to say we told you so, but we told you so

The best (or at least the most famous) aspects of Brazilian culture can all be shown with volunteers. The indigenous peoples of Brazil, dance, carnival, football, Dom Pedro II, the Brazilian war of Independence, etc are all things that need people to perform on stage rather than technology.

Brazil doesn't need special LED lighting or pop stars to make appearances. They just need lots of cariocas.

I'm more than willing to get them a chance, too early to say that the ceremonies are a failure. Realistically, I think everyone was expecting a more large cast/less technology style ceremony to those we saw in previous Olympiads.

In saying that, if they pull out the ol' gigantic inflatable flora and fauna trick I won't be a happy chappy, that's been done to death and is just lazy.

Sometimes the tightest budgets turn out the best results in many creative fields. Overblown budgets can create can create chaos, indecision, and waste. Ive done things with ridiculously huge budgets that were not impressive and also things with limited budget at the last minute that turned out amazing.

Really why not just run the Carnival Champions thought and surprise us with a great cauldron.....do you really need more form Rio?

What I infer from the write-ups is that the budget has been reduced so DRASTICALLY that apparently ideas that were conceived, crafted, run by the IOC and perfected for the last 3 years, have been greatly impacted, and in Birch's eyes, will greatly diminish the Rio 2016 opening as a unique and landmark OC. So now, they have to go back to the IOC (which probably won't argue) that a greatly scaled-down OC will happen. The IOC just likes to know what's happening -- but in Birch's eyes, the 3 years probably has been a complete waste of his time and expertise.

Seriously, they should just have the closing in the Sambadrome with the Parade of Champions, with the athletes parading in as well.....pays for itself, plenty of 'volunteers' , it is what Rio does best and what the world wants to see.

Can you imagine all the busty, bikini amazon women being followed into the Sambadrome by the Tokyo 2020 presentation of Noh Theatre and children doing ikebana and origami!

Seriously, they should just have the closing in the Sambadrome with the Parade of Champions, with the athletes parading in as well.....pays for itself, plenty of 'volunteers' , it is what Rio does best and what the world wants to see.

Can you imagine all the busty, bikini amazon women being followed into the Sambadrome by the Tokyo 2020 presentation of Noh Theatre and children doing ikebana and origami!

Not going to work. That means they'll have to set up all the press section, the lights, security measures, etc.. already in place at Maracana; and which also are already there for the Para ceremonies. Logistically, it doesn't make sense.

The Sambadrome is already an Olympic venue for archery, so it will have security, fencing, Olympic overlay, and broadcasting facilities (on a smaller scale ) in place.

Carnivale is broadcast every year on TV so there is equipment and experience on hand to film the parade and expertise for ticketing and crowd control. This is not rocket science, they do it every year.

Being a 'parade style' broadcast it would be easier to film.

But I acknowledge it wont happen, but would be a fun change, and in line with Agenda 2020 to be creative in cutting costs.

The Sambadrome is already an Olympic venue for archery, so it will have security, fencing, Olympic overlay, and broadcasting facilities (on a smaller scale ) in place.

Carnivale is broadcast every year on TV so there is equipment and experience on hand to film the parade and expertise for ticketing and crowd control. This is not rocket science, they do it every year.

Being a 'parade style' broadcast it would be easier to film.

But I acknowledge it wont happen, but would be a fun change, and in line with Agenda 2020 to be creative in cutting costs.

Trouble is, the Olympics + Paralympics means four ceremonies, and you wouldn't want to showcase the same cultural highlight at more than two of them.