Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

Maybe the OC will start with a montage of highlights from the start of the bidding process onward, counting down years, then months, then days, then 10-9-8-7 etc. ;)

No doubt. There will be some sort of countdown. Name me a ceremony in the last 20 years that did NOT have a countdown. Why should that be a surprise?????

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Brazil’s Olympics Maestro Talks Rio 2016: ‘We’re Really Struggling to Be Consistent with No Money’

“Our budget is 20 times less than Beijing! So we’re really struggling to be consistent, with no money.”

After starting work on the Rio opener last summer, Meirelles and his co-creative directors Daniela Thomas and Andrucha Waddington have faced a dwindling budget and mounting challenges as the country’s crisis has ballooned.

“Since we joined the project the money has been cut, cut, cut,” said a nevertheless optimistic Meirelles.

We’re in a crisis and there are better places to put money in Brazil than just the opening.”

“We’re not trying to be big, because it’s impossible—to be big, you need money,” said Meirelles.

...there's nothing wrong with a cheaper ceremony budget, especially if you just don’t have the money. i often am much more creative with better results on projects with very limited budgets vs. those with wads of capitol & expense. but ngl.....it's always nice to have the cash to throw around and never worry about doing whatever you can dream.

Edited by paul

I just wanted to report that I today, I got the invitation from an old colleague and friend to her wedding which takes place...

...right, on Friday, August 5, 2016. :angry::angry::angry:

You can imagine that I secretly wanted to kill her, also because all my other friends married on a Saturday - and she of all persons had to choose this day of all days, the opening day of the only Olympic Games in the next seven years which I'm really looking forward to. Now I'm already musing whether she will be miffed if I leave the wedding at or at least shortly after 11 pm CET, when the opening ceremony starts in Rio. ;)

Otherwise, I guess I won't be able to join your live chat in one year's time, guys. And I will have to watch the whole ceremony afterwards. Oh, how I hate that!

Forgive me if this is already here reported. Kosovo got a jump on the Rio flagbearers as the first nation to do so way ahead of every other nation with its top medal contender in judoka Majlinda Kelmendi finally getting to fly the Kosovar colors during the Parade of Nations. She'll be the first Kosovar Olympian with this honor:

http://100judo.com/post/majlinda-kelmendi-carries-the-flag-of-kosovo-at-rio-2016

You can always cross your fingers that she dies before the wedding! Or perhaps that the marriage is off? Check her husband's name to see if he or she was one of the names leaked in the Ashley Madison hack! Or just try to find a way to live stream it from your phone.

:D What a good idea! ;) Although I still hope that she'll live a little bit longer than 2016 ;)

Seriously, I hope that I will find some way to watch the OC nevertheless, if only on tape delay.

:D What a good idea! ;) Although I still hope that she'll live a little bit longer than 2016 ;)

Seriously, I hope that I will find some way to watch the OC nevertheless, if only on tape delay.

Well what time is the wedding, and the reception? There looks to be about a 4hr difference from Rio and Germany, so if the ceremony starts at 6/7/8PM Rio time, then that's like 10/11/12PM (or 22/23/24) your time. So I'm sure you can head out early and no one would care.

Rio Olympic, Paralympic ceremonies to be low-budget

Fernando Meirelles, the Brazilian filmmaker and part of the creative team, estimated Tuesday that Rio will spend one-tenth what London did on four major ceremonies.

"I would be ashamed to waste what London spent in a country where we need sanitation; where education needs money," Meirelles told reporters. "So I'm very glad we're not spending money like crazy."

"We don't have high culture," Meirelles said.

Faced with other needs, Meirelles also questioned the value of Rio's Games.

"I'm not sure if I would approve an Olympics in Brazil, if this is a priority for us," he said. "But we're there and this is a great opportunity for the country, and we're going to do the best we can."

Edited by paul
  • Like 1

Rio Olympic, Paralympic ceremonies to be low-budget

Fernando Meirelles, the Brazilian filmmaker and part of the creative team, estimated Tuesday that Rio will spend one-tenth what London did on four major ceremonies.

"I would be ashamed to waste what London spent in a country where we need sanitation; where education needs money," Meirelles told reporters. "So I'm very glad we're not spending money like crazy."

Given Brazil's current economic situation, I suspect that a lot of Olympic officials are going to be making public comments about being ultra-economical over the next year or so.

Given Brazil's current economic situation, I suspect that a lot of Olympic officials are going to be making public comments about being ultra-economical over the next year or so.

You know what's not ultra-economical? Hosting the Olympics lol

At this point it's completely ridiculous for them to start sounding conservative in their money-spending ways when they've put in multi-billions of dollars in these games. I wouldn't bat an eye if they did spend the same amount that London did for their ceremonies.

BUT think about it, even if they wanted to spend more money, there really isn't anywhere for them to spend their money in the Maracana. For one thing, nothing can pop out of the floor of the stadium like at London, Beijing and Athen's stadiums. Rio is not going to compromise their beloved football stadium like that. And also, it's been already said before that the roof is rather weak as well and can't handle a substantial amount of weight to suspend so much like at Athens and Sydney. So we're going to expect a ceremony more similar to Barcelona and Atlanta, with some possible aerial stuff. I can't see an OC like that costing any more than $10 million.

This is a very good news. There is a significant cost in London and Beijing. The Games can not be overstated.

Rio can be a new example.

* [/size]A new example of cost for the Games, for a new Era of economic Games.

I'd expect Rio's ceremonies to be cheaper than London's just because London is a more expensive city but it's not THAT much more expensive.

Bear in mind London's ceremonies were touted as a "new example" four years ago, costing half of what Beijing's cost. You can't really bracket London and Beijing together in this regard.

Doing the maths therefore, Brazil is effectively going to spend 1/20th of what Beijing spent if these quotes are true. That's incredibly austere. Time will tell whether they've got the balance right or whether the ceremonies look cheap.

yes does seem a lot - what was London's overall budget (bearing in mind that was massively down on Beijing and Athens)?

At this stage (11 months to go) it was just over £40 million (say $60 million +) for all four ceremonies, but at about 8 months to go the ceremonies team persuaded the government to double it to around £81 million ($125 million-ish)

You know what's not ultra-economical? Hosting the Olympics lol

At this point it's completely ridiculous for them to start sounding conservative in their money-spending ways when they've put in multi-billions of dollars in these games. I wouldn't bat an eye if they did spend the same amount that London did for their ceremonies.

BUT think about it, even if they wanted to spend more money, there really isn't anywhere for them to spend their money in the Maracana. For one thing, nothing can pop out of the floor of the stadium like at London, Beijing and Athen's stadiums. Rio is not going to compromise their beloved football stadium like that. And also, it's been already said before that the roof is rather weak as well and can't handle a substantial amount of weight to suspend so much like at Athens and Sydney. So we're going to expect a ceremony more similar to Barcelona and Atlanta, with some possible aerial stuff. I can't see an OC like that costing any more than $10 million.

To be fair, when they bid for the Olympics, Brazil were aiming to be one of the world's rising economic powers; unfortunately, with a little help from the top, they have become a sick BRIC.

London built a temporary false floor to save the cost of digging huge pits under the field. However, if Rio are really aiming for a total Oly+Para ceremonies budget around $12-13 million, then volunteer mass-movement is pretty much the only way to go.

I'd expect Rio's ceremonies to be cheaper than London's just because London is a more expensive city but it's not THAT much more expensive.

Bear in mind London's ceremonies were touted as a "new example" four years ago, costing half of what Beijing's cost. You can't really bracket London and Beijing together in this regard.

Doing the maths therefore, Brazil is effectively going to spend 1/20th of what Beijing spent if these quotes are true. That's incredibly austere. Time will tell whether they've got the balance right or whether the ceremonies look cheap.

I could be wrong in my "mass movement" suggestion, of course; maybe they'll just have some really arty stuff with a small cast, occupying a tiny area of the stadium floor but looking good on TV.

According to UOL investigative reporters, Rio 2016 ceremonies actually will cost about 10% more than London.
Most of the money in Rio ceremonies is private.

http://rodrigomattos.blogosfera.uol.com.br/2015/09/23/rio-2016-estima-gasto-de-quase-r-200-mi-em-abertura-mais-do-que-londres/

The cost of the Rio's Opening Ceremony budget is inscreasing and got already R$ 190 million (around US$ 50 million in today's exchange).
London's OC costed 27 million pounds (R$ 170 million in melted Real exchange).

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1