Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

I would't have much expectations if I were you. Handovers are always a hit and miss. Also I don't think Japan wants to associate only with manga/anime (even though the handover tends to be very stereotypical).

Funny thing, most of us liked the Handover to Beijing back in the 2004 closing, but apparently many chinese found it stereotypical and predictable back then. 

2 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Funny thing, most of us liked the Handover to Beijing back in the 2004 closing, but apparently many chinese found it stereotypical and predictable back then. 

Same here. Seems most of the world loved our handover in Atlanta. It was almost a national scandal here for daring to be so stereotypical. Those inflatable kangaoos didn't go down well at all at home (to say the least). But they seemed to fit the spirit of what was happening in Atlanta.

I found Rio's ceremonies well-produced, but seriously, there should be more organization on the athletes entrances in both, opening and closing ceremony. I expected the OC being longer because the first athletes parade, but this time it took ages to make the athletes to take their seats.

On the other hand, they had to give away the CC tickets in order to fill up those empty parts of a huge stadium.

23 minutes ago, olympiaki-agones said:

I found Rio's ceremonies well-produced, but seriously, there should be more organization on the athletes entrances in both, opening and closing ceremony. I expected the OC being longer because the first athletes parade, but this time it took ages to make the athletes to take their seats.

On the other hand, they had to give away the CC tickets in order to fill up those empty parts of a huge stadium.

No they did not give away tickets... There was a tropical storm in Rio. The hurricane winds brought down trees and power poles, places flooded, blackout. My friends are Rio and have described it to me. Many people could not make to the stadium!

• Like 1

The closing ceremony was made for the athletes. A big carnaval party for the heroes of Rio 2016 olympic games. Unfortunately, the rain hurt the party. Lots of empty seats. Some people give up going to the ceremony because of the rain and strong winds (almost 80 km/h). 

Baron had his Carmem Miranda, everybody is happy.

Good job Rio!

• Like 1

Ceremonies were very nice I hope the storm is to blame for the empty seats because it looked very bad I think during Bach's speech they had to move some people over behind him. I loved the way the extinguished the cauldron it was very magical with the rain and the lady singing. I just hope future ceremonies in the future are human focused instead of Sochi and Rio's projecter. Hopefully we can go back to more London and Beijing oriented. 

Yup.  See, cariocas -- I knew the beloved Carmen would make an appearance.  Very colorful ceremony; truly Brazilian!!  I never noticed it before but the arrangements for the anthems (I know, from London) are really quite beautiful.  What sweep; what majesty most of them have,  

Main problem with a projections show --like both of Rio's so far is that they are made for an overhead camera.  I am sure the half-filled sections for the athletes didn't really appreciate many of the great projections; and the AA seats too in the Opening got poor views of the projections.  They should've fixed that.  

Same thing for the rooftop fireworks.  No one on the ground would've seen or appreciated the wonderful fireworks formations on the roof.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Does anyone know of a link to watch a full replay of the Closing Ceremony ?

Yes of course, but if you don't have an appropriate VPN it won't do you much good !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07pqvzn/olympic-ceremonies-2016-closing-ceremony

Does Channel 7 not have a catch-up player?

• Like 1

On 22/08/2016 at 7:40 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Main problem with a projections show --like both of Rio's so far is that they are made for an overhead camera.

Same is true of a "big formations of people" show though. From low in the auditorium, 200 people moving together are probably more effective than 2,000.

I think Rio were smart to use a football stadium, allowing a smaller cast to fill the smaller area, in closer proximity to the spectators.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

What is the song during the extinguishing of the flame?

Pelo tempo que durar" by adriana calcanhoto- marisa monte peformed by   Mariene de Castro

As long as it goes

Nothing will remain
The way it is now

I'm thinking of meeting you
I just want to see you

Glaciers will be melting
Stars will be fading away

And here I am, thinking of you
As long as it goes

Things are going to change
And then going to disappear

And here I am, thinking of keeping