Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

1 hour ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Better except for the sometimes-very-intrusive commentary !

The commentary wasn't bad, but I spent a lot of time smirking, snickering and rolling my eyes at it since the majority of the time the commentators focused on bringing up the OC trying to send a message to the world of being environmentally conscious. This coming from an OC that obliterated the sky with fireworks emissions, a city that failed to clean their waters in time for the games, and a country that continues to destroy its amazon rainforest on a daily basis.

Couldn't sleep last night, so I thought I would rewatch the regular OC (and this was the replay on the Olympic Channel).  It was OK; not over-reaching and certainly tried to go in a new direction with the environmental message--which was fine.  But insofar as the Artistic portion in the first part, once we got past Arrivals and Bundchen and went into the favelas / samba portion, it got to be too tired and uninspired.  Of course, I fast-forwarded the Parade of nations but for some reason, I couldn't understand why the pace stalled at the March of the Samba Schools.  Did they really have to go thru ALL 12 Samba schools???  They were just killing for time and something was amiss with the arrival of the flame.

Overall, while the spending was responsible -- it left much to be desired.  I mean my feeling is the Opening Ceremony is when you can go over-the-top and go for broke.  Why not do it?  The Brazilians were NOT daring enough to do it.  A wasted opportunity.   

Edited by baron-pierreIV

11 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Couldn't sleep last night, so I thought I would rewatch the regular OC (and this was the replay on the Olympic Channel).  It was OK; not over-reaching and certainly tried to go in a new direction with the environmental message--which was fine.  But insofar as the Artistic portion in the first part, once we got past Arrivals and Bundchen and went into the favelas / samba portion, it got to be too tired and uninspired.  Of course, I fast-forwarded the Parade of nations but for some reason, I couldn't understand why the pace stalled at the March of the Samba Schools.  Did they really have to go thru ALL 12 Samba schools???  They were just killing for time and something was amiss with the arrival of the flame.

Overall, while the spending was responsible -- it left much to be desired.  I mean my feeling is the Opening Ceremony is when you can go over-the-top and go for broke.  Why not do it?  The Brazilians were NOT daring enough to do it.  A wasted opportunity.   

I liked the ceremony, but it did strangely come to a screaming halt when the samba schools arrived.... I would have brought the torch in straight after the last school. that is the torch would have been the last 'float' with the parade introducing it to the stadium...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Belatedly, a few ratings figures for the Rio Olympic ceremonies:

OPENING:
TV Globo's coverage got 30.9 points (representing a 44% share of viewing for the slot)
TV Record got 7.3 points
TV Band got 3.6 points
TOTAL: 41.8 points (60% share)

The "universe" for Brazilian TV ratings only includes viewers in major urban areas, totalling slightly over 68 million people, within which 41.8 points represents about 28 million.

Those figures are interesting when compared with London's home-country audience, where BBC1's share was 82.7%, to which must be added about another 2% for the no-commentary and almost unwatched 3D options. In a 2012 UK universe of 57.4 million viewers, the total of about 23.5 million home viewers would equate to about 41 points. With a lower point score but a much higher share score than Brazil's home audience, it would seem that most people in the UK refused to watch any TV at all during the London Opening Ceremony- except that the ratings are only for home viewing. Many communities set up official big screen sites, and although most pubs etc. reported a very quiet night, their TVs would almost certainly have been tuned to the Ceremony unless they were specifically offering an Olympic-free evening.

Live viewing for the Closing Ceremony was lower in Brazil at 24.2 million in the measured universe. Figures from PEPP.TV show that, outside the Americas, Rio's Closing Ceremony was much less watched than the Opening (contrast with Canada: OC 3.9 million viewers, CC 4.1 million, though NBC's figure in the US was a relatively much weaker 16.9 million, well below the 26.5 million for the OC, and way down from the 31 million who watched the 2012 Closing Ceremony). In European markets and Australia only Spain had more than half as many viewers for the CC (618,000) as the OC (914,000- both those figures being much smaller than European viewing champion the UK, which managed 2.5 million for the OC and 1.2 million for the CC).

5 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Belatedly, a few ratings figures for the Rio Olympic ceremonies:

OPENING:
TV Globo's coverage got 30.9 points (representing a 44% share of viewing for the slot)
TV Record got 7.3 points
TV Band got 3.6 points
TOTAL: 41.8 points (60% share)

The "universe" for Brazilian TV ratings only includes viewers in major urban areas, totalling slightly over 68 million people, within which 41.8 points represents about 28 million.

Those figures are interesting when compared with London's home-country audience, where BBC1's share was 82.7%, to which must be added about another 2% for the no-commentary and almost unwatched 3D options. In a 2012 UK universe of 57.4 million viewers, the total of about 23.5 million home viewers would equate to about 41 points. With a lower point score but a much higher share score than Brazil's home audience, it would seem that most people in the UK refused to watch any TV at all during the London Opening Ceremony- except that the ratings are only for home viewing. Many communities set up official big screen sites, and although most pubs etc. reported a very quiet night, their TVs would almost certainly have been tuned to the Ceremony unless they were specifically offering an Olympic-free evening.

Live viewing for the Closing Ceremony was lower in Brazil at 24.2 million in the measured universe. Figures from PEPP.TV show that, outside the Americas, Rio's Closing Ceremony was much less watched than the Opening (contrast with Canada: OC 3.9 million viewers, CC 4.1 million, though NBC's figure in the US was a relatively much weaker 16.9 million, well below the 26.5 million for the OC, and way down from the 31 million who watched the 2012 Closing Ceremony). In European markets and Australia only Spain had more than half as many viewers for the CC (618,000) as the OC (914,000- both those figures being much smaller than European viewing champion the UK, which managed 2.5 million for the OC and 1.2 million for the CC).

Danm, these 41.8 points are only from São Paulo, and these 28 million aren't viewers but houseolds, the individual rating of Opening Ceremony has 63.4 million.

On Rio the average in "points" was 48.1 with 76% of share. 

7 hours ago, neneu10 said:

Danm, these 41.8 points are only from São Paulo, and these 28 million aren't viewers but houseolds, the individual rating of Opening Ceremony has 63.4 million.

On Rio the average in "points" was 48.1 with 76% of share.

I did wonder about the São Paulo thing, but for the overall numbers, the G1 article does state very specifically:

mais de 28 milhões de pessoas acompanharam a cerimônia de abertura ao vivo. Na sequência, os eventos de maior audiência foram a final do futebol masculino entre Brasil e Alemanha, com 25,7 milhões de pessoas, e a cerimônia de encerramento ao vivo, com uma audiência de 24,2 milhões.

O Ibope faz medição de audiência de TV nas praças: Grande São Paulo, Grande Rio de Janeiro, Grande Belo Horizonte, Grande Porto Alegre, Grande Curitiba, Grande Salvador, Grande Recife, Grande Belém, Grande Campinas, Grande Florianópolis, Grande Fortaleza, Grande Goiânia, Grande Vitória, Distrito Federal e Manaus. O universo representado na aferição é de 68 milhões de pessoas e 24 milhões de domicílios, segundo a empresa.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, neneu10 said:

leonardo-de-moura-13-lightning.jpg?14738

Those renders are weird. It's as if they've enlarged the Maracanã to the size of the Olympic Stadium, and increased the size of cast and sets to match.

I make this array of pillows 28 x 44, which is 1,232, apparently with two cast members per pillow, beating Beijing's 2008 drummers.

6 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Straight out of Beijing

Did this provide the "Favelas" set idea for Rio 2016?

Image result for Beijing 2008 Opening Ceremony images

Favela.jpg

Not necessarily B)

However, in general, yes, it looks as if the devisers of the Rio opening pitched their concept as "none of that London fussiness, lots of big and bold use of dancers, like Beijing, but without the totalitarian vibe". And then, 18 months later, they counted the number of suitable volunteers ...

• 2 weeks later...

There is a rather BIG misstatement of fact in the first video.

It claims that with 116 projectors, Rio 2016 was the largest deployment of projectors in an Olympic ceremony. NOT TRUE. Sochi 2014 used 120 projectors in their Opening Ceremony. (OK, 4 more -- but still a record is a record.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

15 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

There is a rather BIG misstatement of fact in the first video.

It claims that with 116 projectors, Rio 2016 was the largest deployment of projectors in an Olympic ceremony. NOT TRUE. Sochi 2014 used 120 projectors in their Opening Ceremony. (OK, 4 more -- but still a record is a record.)

120 for the floor, plus another dozen for vertical elements, apparently. System put together by Canadian firm Solotech, following their success at Vancouver 2010.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, neneu10 said:

New images on Google Earth

Olympic openingnLEMlkS.jpg?1

Strictly speaking it should be more like:

maracana_2016-08-04.jpg

- but still, well spotted; I'm sure those views weren't on Google Earth this time last week!

It's also interesting to check out the main Olympic Park, where, for example, the vast majority of spectators are clearly using public transport, in line with Rio's environmental message.

5 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

It's also interesting to check out the main Olympic Park, where, for example, the vast majority of spectators are clearly using public transport, in line with Rio's environmental message.

- and the Boulevard Olímpico on the city waterfront is perhaps even more impressive. Really massive crowds there on some days (during the Olympics- it was almost empty during the Paralympics).