Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

6 hours ago, Olympian2004 said:

Could you enlighten us when those pics of Maracana were taken, neneu? Do they show the preparations for the Paralympic opening or were they taken before the Olympic closing ceremony?

Barely do we get a reply from neneu, Fab.  I just think he's showing us the morning after the Closing, and how Maracana is transforming from post-Olympic to Paralympic use.  Nenue is our silent man on the ground.  

On 3 February 2015 at 8:44 AM, Ikarus360 said:

Dont worry guys, the ceremonies wont be like those big trainwrecks of the 2014 World Cup. That was just Franco Dragone on a very uninspired day (or should I say days) and they did a mistake hiring him for that show. Luckily they're not going to take part on the olympic ceremonies.

I'm gonna say that I'm totally agree with u..I understand how u feel about 2014 World Cup..is that really true?

20 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Who is that woman /\/\ ...and why should I pay special attention to what she has to say??  :blink:

"Torch turned off" It's a cauldron! And she liked the pouring rain. It's the Summer Olympics! Melbourne was ridiculed several times for the fact that a rain heavy Olympics (especially during ceremonies) would be very likely!

As for the Closing Ceremony itself, it was good but not great. I would have liked that stage end to have been installed again, on the opposite end this time, even if it weren't being used in any meaningful way. Santos Dumont again? He should have been shown flying his plane either back into the stadium or using a modern light propeller plane. His suitcase would have stickers of past Olympic hosts all over it.

The Tokyo handover was great! But the video could have used an in-joke about Pokemon GO in relation to the Olympics, perhaps Shinzo Abe telling a kid (or adult) playing the game that "Olympic Mascots are not Pokemon!"

A dignified extinguishing (the right term!) of the cauldron's flame. A nice farewell to an alright Olympics. I may not consider it a proper success, but good effort for them to get it all done.

6 out of 10.

2 hours ago, Lord David said:

Santos Dumont again? He should have been shown flying his plane either back into the stadium or using a modern light propeller plane. His suitcase would have stickers of past Olympic hosts all over it.

The Tokyo handover was great! But the video could have used an in-joke about Pokemon GO in relation to the Olympics, perhaps Shinzo Abe telling a kid (or adult) playing the game that "Olympic Mascots are not Pokemon!"

Yes, Santos=Dumont is also famous in Brazil for inspiring the creation of the wristwatch, made by Cartier so that he could check the time while keeping both hands on the controls of his airship (please note that this is about as far from the truth about wristwatches in general as the 14-bis is from the truth about the first heavier-than-air aircraft, and it may not be coincidental that both those false impressions emanate from France).

The Tokyo handover did have augmented-reality views of the stadium, and plenty of animated characters alongside humans; I don't think a specific nod to Pokemon GO was necessary.

2 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Yes, Santos=Dumont is also famous in Brazil for inspiring the creation of the wristwatch, made by Cartier so that he could check the time while keeping both hands on the controls of his airship (please note that this is about as far from the truth about wristwatches in general as the 14-bis is from the truth about the first heavier-than-air aircraft, and it may not be coincidental that both those false impressions emanate from France).

The Tokyo handover did have augmented-reality views of the stadium, and plenty of animated characters alongside humans; I don't think a specific nod to Pokemon GO was necessary.

That pictograms part made me think that if Maracana had the ability to do so, then they would have had the pictogram elements slowly come out (during the video part), being suspended from the roof. Instead they cheated and only gave the home viewer this experience, whilst those inside the stadium only saw it unfolding on the screens. Perhaps they'll actually do this in 2020.

To me, Santos Dumont was just a loose relation to the Opening Ceremony. Sure, it's fine to know more about him, but having the whole Olympics come full circle with him claiming "we done it" or something like that would have been nice.

4 hours ago, Lord David said:

Organizers explained recently the handover planning began in late January. Back then there wasn't Pokemon Go or the announcement of the new Sun/Moon games so the Pokemania wasn't too big at the moment. Hence why they didn't picked Pikachu.

Also, right now he's having a though time in Japan (at least the anime) competing in ratings with his rival Jibanyan from the Youkai Watch series (a franchise which has raised very fast in popularity in just 2 years).

In fact, the ghost cat was alongside Goku, Naruto, Sailor Moon, Shin Chan and Pretty Cure as official licensed products for Tokyo 2020 in a poster at the Japan House in Rio, but no Pikachu.

Anime_Tokyo_2020.jpg

qohCvaz.jpg?fb

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lord David said:

That pictograms part made me think that if Maracana had the ability to do so, then they would have had the pictogram elements slowly come out (during the video part), being suspended from the roof. Instead they cheated and only gave the home viewer this experience, whilst those inside the stadium only saw it unfolding on the screens. Perhaps they'll actually do this in 2020.

In 2020 (and probably in 2018) spectators in the stadium will have real-time augmented reality content on their phones. What's physically presented in the stadium will probably include things we can't even imagine in 2016.

5 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

At the final act, some of the costumes were pretty alike of those ones used for "The energy of the sun" segment in 2007 Pan Am Opening Ceremony

epa01065481-a-giant-crocodile-puppet-wal

GettyImages-593260170-XL.jpg

Of course, because as I anticipated, they would portray the flora and fauna or Brazil one way or the other.  And remember, only the Americas saw 2007.  The 2016 show was seen by the whole world -- so really NOT repeats for non-American audiences. 

It will probably be the same thing for Durban CWG 2022.  What they may present in 2032 if they get the SOGs, will be some sort of reinterpretation of themes and idea which will be used in the 2022 CWG Ceremonies.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

On 26.8.2016 at 3:06 PM, Lord David said:

They rather shouldn't do this in 2020, because the pictogram segment in their handover already was pretty much a copy of Sochi's pictogram segment shortly before the cauldron lighting at the Olympic opening ceremony. That's why Tokyo shouldn't do such a segment in 2020, for the third time within six years in Olympic ceremonial history.