Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

Top 10 reasons the Rio 2016 Opening Ceremonies looked cheap.

960.jpg

No. 10: "We can't afford a whole orchestra, so let's just use some of the string section and a guy with an acoustic guitar for the anthem."
No 9: "We don't have a choir, so we'll just get Paulinho da Viola to sing the first stanza, with the audience mumbling the second one."
No. 8: "You're not paying attention in French class? OK, the French will have to be half assed then."
No 7: "I would have loved more cities to have been presented in the polar ice caps melting video, but we simply can't afford to do more animations of more cities."
No 6: "You can only have one aerial stunt. so make it good. OK then, it'll be the "flying" of 14-bis by Santos Dumont, even if it will be mostly video trickery."
No 5: "We're reusing Carnival props and costumes from this year, but there's not enough room in Maracanã to bring in the floats."
No 4: "Bring out your 70's Afro-wigs, we need them for the Samba segment."
No 3: "We built this huge block/favela stage end but we'll only show 20 minutes of it, tops."
No 2: "Forget a massive fireworks display, leave that for the Closing Ceremony where three quarters of that 6 million dollar budget can go for it. Heck,
the Japanese will finance their own handover ceremony anyways."
No 1: "We have an unused soup pot from the Athlete's Village, that can be our cauldron!"

Beautiful!! This ceremony was so colourful! I enjoyed the artistic concepts and the vibrancy and participation of the Brazilian crowd. I don't remember any other ceremony where the public interacted in such a way. I also enjoyed the music, though I hope to see a lot more rhythm in the closing ceremony and Paralympic ceremonies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gamesnz said:

Beautiful!! This ceremony was so colourful! I enjoyed the artistic concepts and the vibrancy and participation of the Brazilian crowd. I don't remember any other ceremony where the public interacted in such a way. I also enjoyed the music, though I hope to see a lot more rhythm in the closing ceremony and Paralympic ceremonies.

Spot on. The opening ceremony was colorful, vibrant, and fun and presented a great summary of Brazilian culture for both foreigners and Brazilians. I thought the use of performers and music like Gizelle walking into the Girl from Impanema were both entertaining and cheaper I'm sure than building big props.

2 hours ago, gamesnz said:

I don't remember any other ceremony where the public interacted in such a way.

That may be an advantage of holding it in a stadium built for football- you need a pretty sturdy structure to allow 60,000 people to dance together in the stands (hence London's use of the "pixel paddles" to enable spectators to join in vigorously without bouncing up and down too much).

1 hour ago, TeamBlakeUSA said:

Can They Have A Different Stage Design For The Closing Ceremony?

Seems like that would be a costly endeavour. They already spent all that man power replacing the seats and laying down the grass. Once they put back the stage it'll probably just stay there until the end of the Paralympics (for those ceremonies).

4 hours ago, olympicdreamin said:

Spot on. The opening ceremony was colorful, vibrant, and fun and presented a great summary of Brazilian culture for both foreigners and Brazilians. I thought the use of performers and music like Gizelle walking into the Girl from Impanema were both entertaining and cheaper I'm sure than building big props.

Its funny, people will remember Giselle and The Girl from Ipanema segment long after they have forgotten Pandemonium, or Chinese Typeface, or the Athens Lake...

Cost-- a dress and some high heels!

1 hour ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Its funny, people will remember Giselle and The Girl from Ipanema segment long after they have forgotten Pandemonium, or Chinese Typeface, or the Athens Lake...

because that the on thing that will remember in that show. everything else was tepid at best

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The projections made the show.  Without those, it would have been a deadly dull show.  

spot on

2 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Depends if schools are using video of any of those other segments in history lessons. Although I suppose the Gisele video may be used in biology lessons.

3 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Giselle Bundchen is not exactly an 'Girl from Ipanema'. It is a surreal and plasticized image of the Girls from Ipanema. But yeah, she's pretty.

7 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

The Daily Telegraph just confirmed something I had wondered about when I viewed the now-deleted Apertodemao videos: Gisele walked too slowly; the projected lines were supposed to look as if they were flowing back from her dress, and she was supposed to do a little routine when she reached Box City.

However, on closer inspection it seems it was not a case of her moving too slowly, but of the pace being set too fast- she had over 120 metres to walk, and only about a minute to do it, which is heading for race-walking speed.

4 hours ago, Cauê said:

I love this moment (the theme song of 'Central Station', a Brazilian film).
This does not need images . It's just to listen and feel.

Going back to an earlier manifestation of the ecological theme, here's rehearsal video of the Pillows countdown, with the inflatable eco-Peace symbol we had seen in photos a few weeks ago; watching its deployment, you can see why they opted at the last minute for a projection instead:

10 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Most people will but I certainly won't all of those segments were absolutely beautiful and unique to their games.