Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

Guys it was not a robbery scene!!!  It was a street vendor (the guy would be trying to sell a bikini to Giselle) and the police would think he was annoying her and would try to stop him... Then she would intervene. Something like that. But people in the stadium thought it represented a robbery and the directors decided to cut the part out.

... FREAKING MEDIA

14508249103_f7c819d317_b.jpg

The great day has come. Thus was the dawn of this  day in the city of Rio de  Janeiro. Called "Very Heroic and Loyal" by the first Emperor of Brazil, the city of San Sebastian, already Wonderful, becomes now an Olympic City. Since that October in 2009 when, with our hearts in our hands, we followed that white envelope delivered to Jacques Rogue. It was  in a paralyzing thriller that we heard the tearing of that envelope and finally the announcement; since that day, this is the most anticipated one.
Strange times, different times. The city was upside down. Buildings were everywhere. I had the feeling that if there was a hell this was Rio de Janeiro, the Heroic and Loyal Olympic City of San Sebastian. There was no street meter that was not stoked, no one remained indifferent and untouched. Only the Guanabara Bay was in a comfort zone. True, it is still filthy. But it is also true that there is less sewage in it than before. But it doesn´t make sense anymore. 
Strange times. Interesting times.  The City had never struggled so much to become a better place. However, at the same time the Wonderful City had never been so scrutinized, soiled, wronged, discredited. It had never been so trampled upon. Unrighteous eyes led to equally unjust texts. They were joined even by an apocalyptic pest, as a mosquito. No one pointed out the fact that in a short period of time Brazilians scientists were able to identify the disease, study all of its phases, find its vector. For unfair eyes, nothing in Brazil works or is worthy of note.
Some decreed in uppercase letters that the city had failed. Headlines for some newspapers that make the news. Some people did not lose time to say "I told you, remember?" and seek the credit for their self-fulfilling prophecies.
Rio de Janeiro did not become a town of a developed country. In fact, much of what is said against Rio de Janeiro comes from this failure: not to take into consideration that the Heroic and Loyal City is a city of  a developing country. But it has become much better than it was nine years ago.
Some people ask themselves what will the Games be like? What will the Opening Ceremony be remarkable by? Where will it stand among the enchantment of Barcelona, the weight of Beijing, the lightness of London, the boldness of Sydney, the history lesson of Athens, the Broadway style of Los Angeles, the dream of Atlanta? 
I do not know. But at this point, it is time to enjoy every moment, to enjoy each event, starting today and tonight. 
Congratulations and luck, Rio de Janeiro. Have a great Olympic day!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

/\/\  Great editorial, Mauricio.  Enjoy and remember this day as a proud Carioca!  It will probably not pass your way again.  ;) 

I was so intimidated by Rio.  I didn't realize it was so vast.  

Agreed. Yes things havent gone as perfect as expected but from the grand scheme of things, these olympics will be historic: first olympics in south america.  That itself is an feat.

NBR ( state broadcaster ) is broadcasting the reception for heads of state. There are 38 heads of state ( a shame compared to London and Beijing ) . What strikes me is the clutter , foreign heads of state or arrive with very short range or very long time . Some have to wait in queue while others can follow normally. Also , Itamaraty Palace is not beautiful, it looks like it needs a makeover. The reception should be in Sao Cristovao that is 2km away from Maracanã and has better conditions. 

The director of the opening ceremony of 2016 , the filmmaker Fernando Meirelles , admitted that the last test " was a disaster ."

" We had a very bad test two days ago, our last rehearsal was a disaster ," said the acclaimed director . "This may be something good, now everyone is watching . We were very quiet , rehearsed and everything went wrong ," he added .

1 minute ago, brasilolimpico said:

The director of the opening ceremony of 2016 , the filmmaker Fernando Meirelles , admitted that the last test " was a disaster ."

" We had a very bad test two days ago, our last rehearsal was a disaster ," said the acclaimed director . "This may be something good, now everyone is watching . We were very quiet , rehearsed and everything went wrong ," he added .

They called me; but I said I couldn't come.  I needed more notice I told them -- but I wished them luck!! 

Protests are small so far. The demonstrations against the Acting President are small . No poses a major threat to the organization, everything should go well .

Anyway, all ready for a great show ! I hope you all my friends in the world enjoy a great ceremony and a great Olympics !

50 minutes ago, brasilolimpico said:

Crap...

my review of the rio opening ceremony

Spoiler

it started a bit of a mess i still don't get the upside down peace sign symbol and the national anthem could have been a success if the kept it simple and not and not add thoes children  

but from indigious section up to now it's a sucess. i loved the immigration section and the favela was beautiful.

thank god for projections because i have a feeling that they might do the sliperry spole of 'school play' mode.

its the parade of nation section now. i hate the marshall outfit. look like a pancho that never tried. i like the idea of a short ramp. the placebearer is inventive. the child mascot remind me of 2012 and i think it's a great addition to the OC.

4 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

So, who sang the National Anthem?  Who played the piano for "Girl from Ipanema"  (is Gisele really from Ipanema...or is that another fiction?)  Who were the 2 older male singers in white outfits?  

here's a little info on some of the music..

Brazilian musicians delight at Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony

14 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

So, who sang the National Anthem?  Who played the piano for "Girl from Ipanema"  (is Gisele really from Ipanema...or is that another fiction?)  Who were the 2 older male singers in white outfits?  

Was the Dumont plane flying backwards?? 

Paulinho da Viola