Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

I wonder if the crowd will boo when it comes time for brazil's president to declare the games open (ala Rio 07's Pan Am OC)? It'd be embarrassing (some would even say disrespectful). Then again, I wouldn't be surprised either if its does happen.

When you watch the ceremony tomorrow, remember that is costs 1/10 of what London's opening ceremony costed, and 20x less than Beijing.

According to Meirelles, one of the directors, initially they had planned to spend much more, but had to be creative and use a much smaller amount compared to previous ceremonies. The total they will spend on the 4 ceremonies in Rio (opening, closing olympics and opening, closing paralympics) will be around $56 million US dollars. Just the opening ceremony in London was $41.5 million. 

I think it is good. It is so ridiculous and hypocrite that in every ceremony there is so much lavishness and they talk about peace and happiness when there are millions of people around the world hungry and hurting... So, I'm glad Rio's budget is so much smaller!!

I think we will be impressed with what they are going to put together. Brazilians are creative and are able to impress even with less resources. And from what I've seen in the rehearsals, it looks great!

• Like 2

I watched quite a lot of the videos and pictures you guys thankfully posted here, and I must say, that I'm looking very much forward to the opening ceremony. What I have seen so far is surprisingly impressive for such a low budget. I don't mind them for using so many projections (that's still a cheap alternative for huge special effects and mass choreographies), I still enjoy good projections, even if we have seen them in so many opening ceremonies in recent years. And the other impression I have is that Rio's ceremony focusses on being emotional: festive, sometimes pensive, sometimes simply beautiful. I like, for example, the special touch for the Brazilian national anthem: While I guess that many people around here and in Brazil wished for a very lavish and pompous arrangement, I like the quiet, relaxed guitar arrangement. If anything sounds typically Brazilian to me, than it's the Brazilian bossa-style of guitar playing.

The only shame is that I probably won't be able to watch the opening ceremony live. I'm invited to a wedding tomorrow and I guess that after 1 a.m. (the starting time of the ceremony here in Central Europe) we still will be at the party and/or fast asleep after a long day of celebrating. ;) But I sure will join the discussion on Saturday or Sunday. Have fun, guys - and don't be too mean if there are things that you don't like. ;)

• Like 4

Oh, and one more thing: I regret very much that they scrapped the "Garota de Ipanema" part. It's such an iconic song. But I wonder why they considered it good judgment to depict the street robbery problems in Rio. It was fairly obvious that many people wouldn't consider it funny, even if they apparently gave it a happy ending. Sometimes, irony (and also self-deprecating irony) simply doesn't work. So I'm very sorry for Gisele Bundchen (I wonder whether she will be given an appearance in a different segment of the opening ceremony or in the closing ceremony as a "consolation prize"?) and I'm very sorry for that wonderful song and its great composer, the unforgettable Tom Jobim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gamesnz said:

When you watch the ceremony tomorrow, remember that is costs 1/10 of what London's opening ceremony costed, and 20x less than Beijing.

According to Meirelles, one of the directors, initially they had planned to spend much more, but had to be creative and use a much smaller amount compared to previous ceremonies. The total they will spend on the 4 ceremonies in Rio (opening, closing olympics and opening, closing paralympics) will be around $56 million US dollars. Just the opening ceremony in London was $41.5 million. 

I think it is good. It is so ridiculous and hypocrite that in every ceremony there is so much lavishness and they talk about peace and happiness when there are millions of people around the world hungry and hurting... So, I'm glad Rio's budget is so much smaller!!

I think we will be impressed with what they are going to put together. Brazilians are creative and are able to impress even with less resources. And from what I've seen in the rehearsals, it looks great!

lol you're bitching about the ridiculousness and hypocrisy of an expensive ceremony budget when you just admitted that Rio initially planned on spending more than London and they have the largest problem with hungry and hurting people among Olympic hosts in a long time.

I don't think you can say we shouldn't host a lavish opening ceremony because of the starving people in the world. The Olympics cost so much money to host, if you are worried about the starving people of the world, don't host the games, put effort into that problem instead.

My advice for any Brazilians on here. For the duration of the games come off Gamesbids and enjoy the moment to its fullest. People on here don't have the same feeling for a games when its not in their home country and will comment and pick apart the smallest of things. Believe me, it will drive you mad.

I had to come off here part way through Londons games. A lot of the comments bore no relation to the games I was witnessing first hand and it drove me mad. It can ruin your games that you want the world to love. Im sure they will be a great games and the people of the world will see them and remember that way but people on here come on here will be a lot more opinionated. Good things will be highlighted too, but it is a forum to discuss and believe me everyone will have an opinion.

A home Olympics is a once in a lifetime opportunity, go and soak it up and enjoy every second because it will be gone in the blink of an eye. These are you games make the most of it. Afterwards come on here and see what people have said.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gamesnz said:

Can you provide a breakdown showing us exactly how all the money saved by the Rio Organising Committee is going to be spent on starving kids around the world?

1 hour ago, Rob. said:

Can you provide a breakdown showing us exactly how all the money saved by the Rio Organising Committee is going to be spent on starving kids around the world?

Of course I don’t think the money would have otherwise been used to feed the hungry children of the world... In fact, I believe the Games generate financial opportunities for the host country and its people... But the extravagance, the exaggeration, that's my concern... And the worldwide media pushing news about clogged toilets, size of venues, impact of the opening ceremony, etc...  Sometimes it feels like the Olympics are not about the sports anymore.  

I love the Games, I’m crazy about the ceremonies… But isn't it a modern version of the bread and circus concept?… The reason why I called it hypocrisy (even my own) is because we don’t see countries mobilizing themselves to deal with social issues with the same determination and pride they put into organizing lavish ceremonies… We don’t see governments investing billions to resolve issues with the same gusto they show towards the Olympic (or any other) games. 

• Like 1

Wow.  You sure have a lot of time on your hands.  Congrats to all the effort you put in but you should've set up a separate folder for all these.  It'll just clutter this folder.  

4 you're missing ...

the strange cauldron in Yokohoma, Japan for the WC 2002 Closing.  Still have not found an explanation for the presence of this cauldron

WC2002_Yoko_cauldron_zpsfmtio5th.jpg 

-  the 2010 Paralympic cauldron in Vancouver was different from the Olympic one (indoor) 

- there's one from the 2011 SEA Games in Jakarta (which the lighter, Susan Susanti, missed when she threw her javelin late, yet the cauldron magically lit up!!); and  

- the Paralympics Armillary Sphere at Stoke-Mandeviile, UK. (2014).  It is a cauldron of sorts.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
xx
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, neneu10 said:

Wow...that gave me shivers down my spine.  And it wasn't just a guitar solo but it also accompanied a subtle string section. Wow. Just beautiful.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kevin C. said:

Wow...that gave me shivers down my spine.  And it wasn't just a guitar solo but it also accompanied a subtle string section. Wow. Just beautiful.

I tried to convince myself not to listen to it to keep the surprise, but I couldn't. I don't think I've ever heard any national anthem performed an beautifully as this, and the crowd matched the mood perfectly.