Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

10 minutes ago, Nacholympic said:

- Remember Barcelona 92 ceremonies... few resources but they did something never seen at that time... So imprresive and original... only start with the floor carpet covering on... even tll today, ceremonies resemble Barcelona's... Take a look on EYOF Tbilisi, Georgia 2015 Opening Ceremony....

- but you didn't mention the elephant in the room. How does anybody these days avoid being a pale imitation of Beijing?

26 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

- but you didn't mention the elephant in the room. How does anybody these days avoid being a pale imitation of Beijing?

Do a Baku.  Raise the budget to $95 million!!  They could've recreated Iguazu Falls there in place of those staggered boxes.  I mean Sydney did a mini-falls; Rio could've gone with a full-scale recreation of the Dancing Iguazu Falls Waters!!  :lol:

43 minutes ago, Nacholympic said:

- Kazan 2013 was a sort of Olympic style ceremony, but it was a mixture of Athens and Vancouver.... Completely full of resources but none saw anything new...

It had the use of FIRST applied 3-D optical technology for a LIVE performance. 

A copy of Barcelona would be great, but with Day-Glo costumes.  That would be new and affordable.  

4 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Do a Baku.  Raise the budget to $95 million!!  They could've recreated Iguazu Falls there in place of those staggered boxes.  I mean Sydney did a mini-falls; Rio could've gone with a full-scale recreation of the Dancing Iguazu Falls Waters!!  :lol:

How much was Athens's OC budget? I reckon it was smaller than Sydney or London judging by the no. of props. Yet it is still the most spectacular and beautiful ceremony ever. Even beating Beijing by miles and miles. Hope this proves there's still hope for small budget ceremony?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

On Rio Pan AM too :P

hqdefault.jpg

pan-american-games-cauldron.jpg

070713abertura_f_015.jpg?ts=200707132202

2 hours ago, kevzz said:

How much was Athens's OC budget? I reckon it was smaller than Sydney or London judging by the no. of props. Yet it is still the most spectacular and beautiful ceremony ever. Even beating Beijing by miles and miles. Hope this proves there's still hope for small budget ceremony?

Most beautiful possibly. Most spectacular, nowhere near (compare the Athens lake with Barcelona's living sea, for example).

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, olympiaki-agones said:

Do not forget Moscow 1980, Sarajevo 1984, Beijing 2008, Sochi 2014 and (once again in S.K.) Pyongchang 2028.

No; the USSR was a state that could easily afford a Summer Games.  They had the manpower and the sporting heritage to support it.  (I left WOGs out of that list.)  Beijing does not count;  China supports already the 2nd biggest economy in the world by 2006 or thereabouts; they are #2 in medals, so China is NOT a pauper country to stage an Olympic Games.   And since the 1990s, So. Korea is considered a developed economy.  

Kind of late question, but are there news of how the Olympic Anthem will be performed? (I have a feeling it will be an instrumental version again like London's, for some reason). Also will arrangements of the national anthems of each country will be made like in London and Athens?

I'm sad

7 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

I think ceremonies should be related more with ART and CREATIVITY (as Barcelona, Atlanta, Sydney and Salt Lake showed)  far more than a full technology display!! Come on guys! It seems you have never visited an exposition or a Museum... If you expect to find machines and robots in a Fine Art Museum.... you can probably expect a ceremony full of robots display....

I'm sorry to report guys as someone who works in tv Technology is the new art for the the audience the games are trying to connect with. it's all about the millennials now. the ones addicted to their phones, iPads and playstation. The ones that don't actually play sports but can program a toaster to do jumping jacks. The IOC and the various hosting committees of recent years like most organizations in the entertainment world have to figure a way to not only get young people in the coveted 18-35 yr old demographic but also to keep them. It's become increasingly hard now with competition not only from other tv programs but also the internet etc.

4 hours ago, alphamale86 said:

I'm sad

I'm sorry to report guys as someone who works in tv Technology is the new art for the the audience the games are trying to connect with. it's all about the millennials now. the ones addicted to their phones, iPads and playstation. The ones that don't actually play sports but can program a toaster to do jumping jacks. The IOC and the various hosting committees of recent years like most organizations in the entertainment world have to figure a way to not only get young people in the coveted 18-35 yr old demographic but also to keep them. It's become increasingly hard now with competition not only from other tv programs but also the internet etc.

But the main business of the IOC is to conduct and promote international sport -- NOT how people get or gain access to the sports coverage.  How a millennial or a senior watches or pays attention to the sports coverage is really secondary.  I mean are they going to require smaller athletes so they would look proportional on your iPhone screen??  :blink:

• Like 1