Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

5 hours ago, Ozkar said:

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1040008/nbc-asks-for-change-to-parade-of-nations-order-at-rio-2016-opening-ceremony-reports-claim

NBC asks for change to Parade of Nations order at Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony,!!!!!!

NBC is not the owner of the Games... Many people around the globe wait for their delegationsthe, since its changes the order according to the host Nation...

Americans have to sit and wait as the rest of the world do.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nacholympic said:

NBC is not the owner of the Games... Many people around the globe wait for their delegationsthe, since its changes the order according to the host Nation...

Americans have to sit and wait as the rest of the world do.

They never said they owned the Games.  They made a request.  And people don't seem to understand that if NBC does NOT deliver the numbers it promised its advertisers, then NBC will have to refund some monies -- and either they get an accommodation from the IOC, or they won't bid with such big amounts in the future.  You scratch each other's back.

And no, Americans don't have to sit and wait.  That's precisely what NBC wanted to happen.  Now, once the US comes out in the "E"s, then they will probably all tune out and NBC's numbers go down; advertisers ask for refunds.  That's how the contracts are structured.  

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

They never said they owned the Games.  They made a request.  And people don't seem to understand that if NBC does NOT deliver the numbers it promised its advertisers, then NBC will have to refund some monies -- and either they get an accommodation from the IOC, or they won't bid with such big amounts in the future.  You scratch each other's back.

And no, Americans don't have to sit and wait.  That's precisely what NBC wanted to happen.  Now, once the US comes out in the "E"s, then they will probably all tune out and NBC's numbers go down; advertisers ask for refunds.  That's how the contracts are structured.  

Who cares about that? are you their employee or sth? lol

If they want out or bid less, then someone else will take the opportunity... you know, capitalism.  Anyway, they already signed until 2020.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ozkar said:

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1040008/nbc-asks-for-change-to-parade-of-nations-order-at-rio-2016-opening-ceremony-reports-claim

NBC asks for change to Parade of Nations order at Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony,!!!!!!

My thoughts on this are as follows I completely understand where NBC is coming from. No other network around the globe is paying anywhere near the amount NBC is paying to air the games. The IOC has always know the US market is their bread and butter. So if US viewers tune out at the halfway mark of the OC then that's not good for the IOC either. 

However, having said that. If I were Rio and the IOC there is no way in HELL I would allow for special treatment for one country when we established this rule of thumb decades ago in order to fairly recognize each host country. 

I think NBC is actually being highly insensitive right now, could you imagine if Russia had made a similar request in an American hosted games? They already won the coup to deny Doha the ability to even bid for 2024 when they proposed the time change this is just NBC being extra now.

The Technical Manual on Ceremonies clearly states that "the delegations parade in alphabetical order according to the language of the host country, except for Greece, which leads the parade, and for the host country, which enters the stadium is last."

So if the organisation accepted the request from NBC it was a breach of the host city contract (because the technical manuals are an integral part of the contract).

4 hours ago, LDOG said:

Who cares about that? are you their employee or sth? lol

If they want out or bid less, then someone else will take the opportunity... you know, capitalism.  Anyway, they already signed until 2020.

That's why you're out here; and the real people making Olympic deals are out there.  Duh!  :rolleyes:  I'd hate to send my business your way.  

6 hours ago, alphamale86 said:

My thoughts on this are as follows I completely understand where NBC is coming from. No other network around the globe is paying anywhere near the amount NBC is paying to air the games. The IOC has always know the US market is their bread and butter. So if US viewers tune out at the halfway mark of the OC then that's not good for the IOC either. 

However, having said that. If I were Rio and the IOC there is no way in HELL I would allow for special treatment for one country when we established this rule of thumb decades ago in order to fairly recognize each host country. 

I think NBC is actually being highly insensitive right now, could you imagine if Russia had made a similar request in an American hosted games? They already won the coup to deny Doha the ability to even bid for 2024 when they proposed the time change this is just NBC being extra now.

Not just "anywhere near the amount NBC is paying"... But more than 5x any other national broadcaster! They can surely ask, right?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

OK, I think this is the pic where I thought they were creating tunnel(s) in the Maracana infield.  Why are they digging so deep?  Or did they lower the entire infield?  

ax094-4836-9jpg-c81d3c8e011c9088.jpg

Baron, have a look. It is a simplified animation.