Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

I rather preffer "human" ceremonies instead all the logistic in technological resources used in London or Sochi.

In contrast of most of you I DO expect a ceremony style back to 90's.  Not all is about resources, huge budgets and full technology as seen in Beijing and lastly in Baku.

Barcelona had a too low budget and it still remains as one of the best ceremony in history (for some THE BEST ONE) because more than resources put on hem there were TALENT and ART... and Rio carnivals every year shows that in Brazilian creativity is one of their major strenghts....

I do not expect to top Beijing, Sochi or Baku now in Rio.. but a ceremony made with talent, a lot of creativity, few tchnology and a lot of people.... Mass ceremonies in the style of '84 and '92   WILL BE really great!!!! Technology is not all about .... you, young guys!!!!

• Like 2

I agree with Nacholympic. Brasil and Rio are worldwide know for being a ver warm and welcoming people. Then, I expect a ver human a joyful ceremony, not full of overwheling acts like Beijing but yet a very playful and "human" acts.

I'm sure it will be a memorable (for good) Opening Ceremony.

4 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

I rather preffer "human" ceremonies instead all the logistic in technological resources used in London or Sochi.

In contrast of most of you I DO expect a ceremony style back to 90's.  Not all is about resources, huge budgets and full technology as seen in Beijing and lastly in Baku.

Barcelona had a too low budget and it still remains as one of the best ceremony in history (for some THE BEST ONE) because more than resources put on hem there were TALENT and ART... and Rio carnivals every year shows that in Brazilian creativity is one of their major strenghts....

I do not expect to top Beijing, Sochi or Baku now in Rio.. but a ceremony made with talent, a lot of creativity, few tchnology and a lot of people.... Mass ceremonies in the style of '84 and '92   WILL BE really great!!!! Technology is not all about .... you, young guys!!!!

If it's going to be like the 90's, I am all in! I remember watching the opening ceremonies from Atlanta and Lillehammer (on VHS no less) and being amazing. That is what first started my love the for Olympics.

7 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

I don't mind it to be a 'human' ceremony ala Sydney 2000. It's the last 'old school' ceremony (except for the spectacular technical wizardry of the cauldron). Anything before Sydney is not going to be enough for audience taste and satisfaction. I hope Rio will surprise us with a warm and fun ceremony without looking too cheap like a school production or those regional games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevzz said:

I don't mind it to be a 'human' ceremony ala Sydney 2000. It's the last 'old school' ceremony (except for the spectacular technical wizardry of the cauldron). Anything before Sydney is not going to be enough for audience taste and satisfaction. I hope Rio will surprise us with a warm and fun ceremony without looking too cheap like a school production or those regional games.

Yes. Underneath the giant props (not actually entirely absent in 2000) ceremonies like London and Sochi were tending to follow the Sydney model more than the Beijing (/ Berlin) model. The advantage of the props is mostly for spectators in the stadium itself, who don't get the full benefit of horizontal formations, and need some action in the vertical plane (see also Vancouver). That's where structures like the Rio boxes come in.

Barcelona was good in that it hit all the right markers for a newly developing economy like Spain (more so than the garish Seoul ceremonies or the practically non-existent Mexico 1968 show).  But it has to be at least one or two notches higher than Barcelona if indeed Barcelona will be the model.  Actually, I think because it's Balich, it will be more Torino and Sochi closing, than Barcelona.  But we shall just have to wait and see...or the early news from the first dress rehearsal.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Barcelona was good in that it hit all the right markers for a newly developing economy like Spain (more so than the garish Seoul ceremonies or the practically non-existent Mexico 1968 show).  But it has to be at least one or two notches higher than Barcelona if indeed Barcelona will be the model.  Actually, I think because it's Balich, it will be more Torino and Sochi closing, than Barcelona.  But we shall just have to wait and see...or the early news from the first dress rehearsal.  

Do you think Rio will be something like Sydney?

Just now, kevzz said:

Do you think Rio will be something like Sydney?

That's what I had originally posited because of the brave, brash story of a continent-sized country.  And it will have that Immigration/Arrivals number, so I think there will be many similarities.  But that wouldn't be such a bad thing.  Sydney put on a monster show for such a tiny country (population-wise)!!

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of volunteers/ stadium ground workers in Rio are not very discrete and disregard their confidentiality agreement with the organisers. I recalled London's volunteers are really good at keeping the secrets, no leaks from them at all.

22 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Lol, people are pulling their hairs right now after seeing that pic when it wasn't even taken during a full rehearsal and we basically know nothing of it (even if it hints it will be related to the Parade of Nations). Remember Sydney 2000 had at least 3 representations of the Olympic Rings (Man from Snowy River, Arrivals and Heroes Live Forever, respectively)

JLZhEXf.jpg

m0rJHxf.jpg

iTEZSOb.jpg

I suggest people don't jump to conclusions, at least until the full rehearsal is done next weekend. Then we will know for sure how the quality of this show will be. 

Sydney had FOUR Olympic Rings representations. They had lawn mowers form the rings during the in symphony segment. Starts around 5:48.

14 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

It's weird how perceptions change. London's was a very "human" ceremony (huge tranche of volunteers from the NHS, using the London deaf children's choir for the National Anthem, close up on famous faces from the arts etc). And this was deliberately so in contrast to the grandiose expense of Beijing. Now people are dampening expectations of Rio's ceremony based on a few photos (I don't know why this is), suddenly we're lumping London in with Beijing.

Funny old world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

/\/\  That "lawn-mower" sequence was not shown by NBC on the US telecast version.  One of their several edits.  

NBC seriously majorly failed in editing the Sydney OC. During the Deep Sea Dreaming sequence, 90% of the footage they showed was all Nikki Webster, while they mostly missed out on panning out to showcase the entire stadium as a live ocean sea floor until the very end when it didn't matter. And Bob Costas was at his absolute worst as a commentator for those ceremonies. Here's some footage of the horrible US broadcasting.

Thank god for YouTube for showing the CBC broadcasting of the games (until that account closed) and this David Atkins fan fellow for giving us a much better view of these ceremonies.

1 hour ago, LatinXTC said:

NBC seriously majorly failed in editing the Sydney OC. During the Deep Sea Dreaming sequence, 90% of the footage they showed was all Nikki Webster, while they mostly missed out on panning out to showcase the entire stadium as a live ocean sea floor until the very end when it didn't matter. And Bob Costas was at his absolute worst as a commentator for those ceremonies. Here's some footage of the horrible US broadcasting.

Thank god for YouTube for showing the CBC broadcasting of the games (until that account closed) and this David Atkins fan fellow for giving us a much better view of these ceremonies.

Same with Athens 2004. NBC's broadcast are full of uninspiring camera angles that does not take into considerations the aesthetic and theatrics of the ceremony. Compared this with Dimitris's designated cinematography and camera work in the official broadcast which capture the staging and action in the most dramatic angle eh the moment cauldron was lit. It is truly a world's apart. 

Check out YouTube to compare NBC and official version. Don't understand why NBC just can't respect the host directors camera direction and have their own? Felt sorry for American audience, it's spoiling the ceremony for them and probably they didn't even know it!

1 hour ago, Rob. said:

It's weird how perceptions change. London's was a very "human" ceremony (huge tranche of volunteers from the NHS, using the London deaf children's choir for the National Anthem, close up on famous faces from the arts etc). And this was deliberately so in contrast to the grandiose expense of Beijing. Now people are dampening expectations of Rio's ceremony based on a few photos (I don't know why this is), suddenly we're lumping London in with Beijing.

Funny old world.

I think Pandemonium and the cauldron is such a coup de theatre that it equals Beijing in terms of ambition and spectacle. 

12 minutes ago, kevzz said:

Same with Athens 2004. NBC's broadcast are full of uninspiring camera angles that does not take into considerations the aesthetic and theatrics of the ceremony. Compared this with Dimitris's designated cinematography and camera work in the official broadcast which capture the staging and action in the most dramatic angle eh the moment cauldron was lit. It is truly a world's apart. 

Check out YouTube to compare NBC and official version. Don't understand why NBC just can't respect the host directors camera direction and have their own? Felt sorry for American audience, it's spoiling the ceremony for them and probably they didn't even know it!

Eh.  The changes are so minor really though.  ANd unless one has bothered to view AND compare the 2 versions, you won't really know what you missed.  And that's what YouTube is for -- to look for other versions and feel wretched that you didn't see them that way originally.  ;)

7 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Eh.  The changes are so minor really though.  ANd unless one has bothered to view AND compare the 2 versions, you won't really know what you missed.  And that's what YouTube is for -- to look for other versions and feel wretched that you didn't see them that way originally.  ;)

It's quite a big difference. NBC's camera directions are very 'pedestrian'. American audience are definitely shortchanged. 

2 hours ago, kevzz said:

It's quite a big difference. NBC's camera directions are very 'pedestrian'. American audience are definitely shortchanged. 

I've seen the ceremonies from various other networks including NBC and I didn't notice a huge difference with the exception of course the editing out of some things because it wasn't aired live here in the US. But the one segment NBC did far better than other networks is how they filmed the Clepsydra segment. It was clearly a segment meant more for home viewing than stadium viewing and while some networks stupidly had cameras wander around the stadium to see nothing NBC managed to show you the most of what happened in that parade.

8 minutes ago, LatinXTC said:

I've seen the ceremonies from various other networks including NBC and I didn't notice a huge difference with the exception of course the editing out of some things because it wasn't aired live here in the US. But the one segment NBC did far better than other networks is how they filmed the Clepsydra segment. It was clearly a segment meant more for home viewing than stadium viewing and while some networks stupidly had cameras wander around the stadium to see nothing NBC managed to show you the most of what happened in that parade.

NBC

Worldwide