Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

In Sydney 2000 OC there was a segment called Arrival as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--FSpygLTI8

- which prompts the thought that Brazil is yet another country with a written history dominated by European colonialism and subjugation / genocide of the native population.

Thre's a rumor that the rings will be formed OUTSIDE of the stadium  :huh:

I don't know how the IOC Executive Board would approve that.  The use of the rings will be part of the show inside the stadium.  That's their brand. 

Tokyo 1964?

oooooooh it arrived today, my very own Olympic medal :)

What carefully concealed drugs were involved in its winning?

She was married with Garrincha, one of the most well know Brazilian soccer players from the past.

Also, she sang the National Anthem on the Rio 2007 Pan Am Games.

People are saying that she'll sing on the segment about favelas and/or about the slavery (Rio is the city that had recieved the major number of slaves from Africa on the world). It would be a very emotional moment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rob. said:

I remember having this exact conversation with you about the brilliant Dame Evelyn Glennie in the 2012 Opening Ceremony thread.

I don't remember...but anyway did they ever use this Evelyn Glennie?  I don't think they did, did they?   In any case, I never heard of him/her-- and NO, I am NOT under any obligation whatsoever to look him/her up.

I'm not saying that that is how it should be done. I'm just going by how producers in the past have done it -- and I can understand their reasons.  This is just my conjecture, Rob.  You can, of course, go out and produce your own ceremony.  :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, Rob. said:

Yes, she was in the ceremony. She's the deaf percussionist. Search for her name in the forum search bar and you'll find your own posts about her.

I don't remember now -- and am not that jazzed to revisit her or the issue.  Just didn't make an impression on me, I think.  I can remember Evelyn Waugh, but not Glennie.  But if she's deaf, should she not have been in the Paralympic ceremony?  

17 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I don't remember now -- and am not that jazzed to revisit her or the issue.  Just didn't make an impression on me, I think.  I can remember Evelyn Waugh, but not Glennie.  But if she's deaf, should she not have been in the Paralympic ceremony?  

dame evelyn glennie was cast because she was a drummer who happend to be deaf not the other way around. also, castyping her for only the paralympic is very ableist and should be frown upon in the movement.

going back to topic, i would not mind if rio has a singer we have not heared of. i'll just google it to find out more. but i do get baron's point that it might not be appriceiated by the audience rather than seeing her as this famous singer she might look like an over botox drag queen to the rest of the world.

which it not to say they should not do it. i bit of confusion is good for the OC. i was very informed that in atlanta they dress like space monsters.

• Like 2

There are strong rumours the song "Mas que nada" will be performed at a moment of the Opening Ceremony. Also, it appears the Olympic rings will be formed outside the stadium, in the Copacabana Beach (on water), by many boats. It would be the second time they perform a segment of the opening in water after Seoul (if we don't count the last torch relay leg through the Thames in London OC)

25 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

Há fortes rumores a canção "Mas que nada" será realizada em um momento da Cerimônia de Abertura. Além disso, parece que os anéis olímpicos será formado fora do estádio, na Praia de Copacabana (na água), por muitos barcos. Seria a segunda vez que eles realizam um segmento da abertura na água depois de Seul (se não contar com a última perna do revezamento da tocha através da Tamisa em Londres OC)

Great news. ' MAS QUE NADA ' is a great very famous song . The idea of the rings in Copacabana is legal. But I do not think it will be good ... I'm afraid that the waves of the sea and the boats leave misaligned and the distance between them as well. Moreover, it is always very nice to see the rings inside the stadium. I hope that the idea of Copacabana used to be really well used

17 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I don't know that they would put anyone so bizarre-looking who is NOT known outside Brazil's borders (and I mean known on 2 or 3 other continents).  Maybe the Closing...but she is definitely NOT Opening Ceremony material.  

Lets be real Baron, the OC are not supposed to be tailor made to fit the taste and pop-culture knowledge of Americans. They are meant to celebrate the beauty and greatness of their respective nations. Let Rio do Rio and take away the worlds breath.

If the OC only featured globally famous people, the pool would be very small for any nation not America or the UK. Like honestly...who the **** knew Vanessa Amorosi outside Australia until she kicked ass in Sydney's OC's.

I don't remember now -- and am not that jazzed to revisit her or the issue.  Just didn't make an impression on me, I think.  I can remember Evelyn Waugh, but not Glennie.  But if she's deafarrow-10x10.png, should she not have been in the Paralympic ceremony?  

She did the whole Industrial Revolution segment you ass. How do you forget that? It was like...the only cool part of the whole ceremony. 

Also...just because people have disabilities it doesn't mean they should be relegated to the Paralympic ceremonies. I feel like if you were in charge and Theresa May was PM, you would have told her not to show up because she has type 1 Diabetesarrow-10x10.png

The Rio -2016 removed the Maracana grass in May. And they put this strange floor , but it's such a simple floor ... to install it so early in the stage , sometimes did not want to remove the grass, could assemble for rehearsals . Will they put on top of it structures ? Or is it just what we see in the picture? Moreover, it is curious geometric shape, want to know what meaning will give .