Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

i would hope something less complicated more simple. like a Room Master and Flag Carrier (Mestre-sala and Porta-Bandeira) in the colors of the flag

Unidos_de_Vila_Isabel.jpg

This seems to me a very logical choice. And make the Parade of Nations a complete Carnaval

The Maracana may have several disadvantages:

- Field with no running track, which gives less room to use the OC.

- Inputs and outputs of smaller than normal fields.

- Chairs in very close to the ground places.

But an advantage could be exploited.

I took a look at the schedule of events at the Maracana, and they will have 10 days to get the stadium a soccer match. What is very good, can you work hard in the opening, with the field having more time for repairs.

In the closing ceremony, there is also more space will be three days, can you build something more interesting there.

Albeit very small but a cute and very Scottish way for the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games...

article-2703483-1FEAAAE200000578-996_634

Yeah, and certain (very touchy) countries were not pleased by it. I too would not like to be marching behind an animal. Besides, those are living creatures you have to be very careful about and you are putting them in a very stressful situation for at least 2 hours. Not kind or considerate. Something simple will do...not something ridiculous like Albertville, Athens, Torino or London. Those were so silly.

In the closing ceremony, there is also more space will be three days, can you build something more interesting there.

You don't need a running track. The Winter OC's don't use a track. For a summer one, Melbourne 2006 is on my Top 6 Opening Ceremonies

Edited by baron-pierreIV

- Inputs and outputs of smaller than normal fields.
- Chairs in very close to the ground places.

For 2007 Pan Am OC in the same Maracana, the parade was cool!!! Of ocurse, it was less than the half oh the countries participatng on this Olympics... but.... it can work ayway...

Scotties sooooo cute....I wuv them. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Albeit very small but a cute and very Scottish way for the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games...

article-2703483-1FEAAAE200000578-996_634

...and Scottguy I have to ask about the elephant in the room, did you really have a false identity in the past here? I don't think it matters much so perhaps you will be honest or perhaps you will not answer openly. Anywho......I think you should say something.......and welcome back.

Edited by paul
  • Like 1

What an odd-shaped stage. I guess they're not going to be using the many tunnels under the field if they had to build a new stage over it.

Why aren't we getting a 24-hour feed on what's going on here?? :angry:

I wonder what the structure of the football pitch is in terms of layers of materials beneath the grass? Maybe they need to build a rigid false floor over it whenever it's used by large numbers of people, to maintain its quality for playing, even though they've removed the actual turf.

I wonder what the structure of the football pitch is in terms of layers of materials beneath the grass? Maybe they need to build a rigid false floor over it whenever it's used by large numbers of people, to maintain its quality for playing, even though they've removed the actual turf.

There is no grass under the stage. Remember this:

img_6885.jpg

But they will plant the grass imidiatelly after the cermony.

"The grass had to be removed because it would not take the sun below the base that serves as a stage for rehearsals of the opening. A 24-hour operation will reset the field in the stadium after opening ceremony for the football games. The grass used is the same type used in the World Cup 2014 and is already growing on a farm in Saquarema. Responsible lawn, Greenleaf has partnered with Spanish company that takes care of the Camp Nou (FC Barcelona stadium)."

Source: http://globoesporte.globo.com/olimpiadas/noticia/2016/05/apos-finais-do-carioca-maracana-tem-gramado-retirado-para-olimpiadas.html

There is no grass under the stage. Remember this:

img_6885.jpg

But they will plant the grass imidiatelly after the cermony.

"The grass had to be removed because it would not take the sun below the base that serves as a stage for rehearsals of the opening. A 24-hour operation will reset the field in the stadium after opening ceremony for the football games. The grass used is the same type used in the World Cup 2014 and is already growing on a farm in Saquarema. Responsible lawn, Greenleaf has partnered with Spanish company that takes care of the Camp Nou (FC Barcelona stadium)."

Source: http://globoesporte.globo.com/olimpiadas/noticia/2016/05/apos-finais-do-carioca-maracana-tem-gramado-retirado-para-olimpiadas.html

And then, will they rip it apart for the Closing? Or perhaps build another stage for Closing (Like London had another stage layout for the Closing)? ...

From what I remember of the pics of the tunnels when they were being laid out, they were probably 8'-10' wide, so I'm sure the beams over those were sturdy enough to support turf PLUS the machinery necessary to layout/remove the turf. So I hope quite strong.

And then, will they rip it apart for the Closing? Or perhaps build another stage for Closing (Like London had another stage layout for the Closing)? ...

From what I remember of the pics of the tunnels when they were being laid out, they were probably 8'-10' wide, so I'm sure the beams over those were sturdy enough to support turf PLUS the machinery necessary to layout/remove the turf. So I hope quite strong.

Sorry, what I meant was the layers of soil, gravel, sand etc. beneath the turf which make the pitch good to play on, and which would need to be protected from too much compression etc.