Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

If the ceremony was about Brazil's history they would have so many things to show:

Pre-colonial Period (1500-1530)

Colonial Period (1530-1815)
United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and Algarve (1815-1822)
Empire (1822-1889)
Republic (1890-current)
And also we have the Dutch Invasion around the 1600's, the arrival of Royal Family in 1808 and lot's of other periods. So, thats why I think they choose to show the history of Brazilian People, it's "more simple".
Yes.
But just make minor references to 'Pandemonium' made in London.
The poppy flowers and the minute of silence remembering the war, the ship representing the naval expansion, the Industrial Revolution itself with the fields.
Just show a follow-up comes the first Portuguese, followed by slaves and people dressed in uniform cutting, a paused with D. Pedro I declared independence, a dance sequence in court, with the Princess Elizabeth releasing the following slaves after the cut is taken from the scene and reach the Italians, Spaniards, Germans and Slavs, etc. There, all return and form the Olympic rings!
The speaker announced: "Ladies and gentlemen, let's welcome His Imperial Highness Prince Don Luis de Orleans e Braganca, in the company of the President of the International Olympic Committee, Thomas Bach '
The last part is Utopian.

I have a serbian friend and this is somewhat true. When you have rulers who are trying desperately to appeal the EU in order to join them to the point they are considering recognizing Kosovo as independent, its not a surprise the royals are much more popular.

Former king Michael I of Romania is also highly popular in his country for his role at WWII and for being a voice of reason during their political turmoils in the last decades.

I do not know much about Serbia and Romania.
But before monarchs so popular, why not restore the monarchy?

Not Pedro II. And you can't forget brazilian people voted for republic in 1993. A decision was made and we have to respect. In my opinion, if there is people (and there is) who want monarchy backs they have to propose in congress so we can vote and decide again. Pedro II was not king of Portugal, he was only brazilian imperator

Yes, the republic won.
But you know that the plebiscite was involved in polemics.
I know that Pedro II was not the king of Portugal, but very Brazilians think it was (even though his sister was queen of Portugal).
I would not vote for the restoration of the monarchy in Brazil. But other countries I think should restore.

If the ceremony was about Brazil's history they would have so many things to show:

Pre-colonial Period (1500-1530)

Colonial Period (1530-1815)
United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and Algarve (1815-1822)
Empire (1822-1889)
Republic (1890-current)
And also we have the Dutch Invasion around the 1600's, the arrival of Royal Family in 1808 and lot's of other periods. So, thats why I think they choose to show the history of Brazilian People, it's "more simple".

Nope. I bet they aren't going to bother telling Brazil's "royal" story. It is so esoteric. Besides, the IOC would rather play down its "royal-aristocratic" leanings in this day and age -- so I don't see it happening. Remember, the IOC has to approve the ceremonies' content and tone -- and they want to present themselves more as an egalitarian society, so....

I think the show will be a lot like Sydney's -- telling of the land and the people -- but NOT specific royal personages. (Peter in Sochi was just included in passing because he founded St. Petersburg (which is odd since the Games took place in Sochi) -- as a segue to the cadets' number and the "War and Peace" ballroom number.

It's the rain forest story, the Indians, the flora and fauna of Brazil, Carnaval, samba, Ipanema and Carmen M (if not in the opening, she will certainly be featured in the Closing).

Nope. I bet they aren't going to bother telling Brazil's "royal" story. It is so esoteric. Besides, the IOC would rather play down its "royal-aristocratic" leanings in this day and age -- so I don't see it happening. Remember, the IOC has to approve the ceremonies' content and tone -- and they want to present themselves more as an egalitarian society, so....

I think the show will be a lot like Sydney's -- telling of the land and the people -- but NOT specific royal personages. (Peter in Sochi was just included in passing because he founded St. Petersburg (which is odd since the Games took place in Sochi) -- as a segue to the cadets' number and the "War and Peace" ballroom number.

It's the rain forest story, the Indians, the flora and fauna of Brazil, Carnaval, samba, Ipanema and Carmen M (if not in the opening, she will certainly be featured in the Closing).

It is revolting.
Our country will show the world like the episode of 'The Simpsons': a rain forest with monkeys, women dancing in carnival costumes, slums, samba, football, Carmen Miranda and the song 'Aquarela do Brazil'.
Our country is much more than that!
Also, I bet this will be a ceremony far behind in grandeur compared to Beijing 2008 and London 2012.
It will be sad.

It is revolting.
Our country will show the world like the episode of 'The Simpsons': a rain forest with monkeys, women dancing in carnival costumes, slums, samba, football, Carmen Miranda and the song 'Aquarela do Brazil'.
Our country is much more than that!
Also, I bet this will be a ceremony far behind in grandeur compared to Beijing 2008 and London 2012.
It will be sad.

It's NOT revolting. They pick stories and images that will have resonance internationally -- so something that people in China or elsewhere already sort of know about Brazil and then the OC's merely enhance those images and reveries. That's why the teams have been engaged to do the ceremonies for MANY Games, and others have not. It is what it is.

It's supposed to be a fun show -- NOT a serious history lesson. In the last 3 Olympics staged by 2 of the world's longest-surviving monarchies (Japan and the UK), their royal stories have not been referred to in the OCs. The IOC prefers that no allusions to the living rulers or their families be featured in the Ceremonies.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

It's NOT revolting. They pick stories and images that will have resonance internationally -- so something that people in China or elsewhere already sort of know about Brazil and then the OC's merely enhance those images and reveries. That's why the teams have been engaged to do the ceremonies for MANY Games, and others have not. It is what it is.

It's supposed to be a fun show -- NOT a serious history lesson. In the last 3 Olympics staged by 2 of the world's longest-surviving monarchies (Japan and the UK), their royal stories have not been referred to in the OCs. The IOC prefers that no allusions to the living rulers or their families be featured in the Ceremonies.

Still I think Brazil is more than this superficial international image.
But regardless of the image that will be displayed.
The ceremony will be far from London 2012. Ok, need not be like Beijing in 2008, but the quality that London 2012 has shown the OC was impressive, here caught my attention from the sequence of the Thames to 'Hey June'.
The soundtrack of the 2012 London was amazing.
Oh sure, if you have the opening will be on closing the classic 'Aquarela do Brazil "(I love this song, but this is genuinely Brazilian)

To be fair, I thought London 2012 was a hit and miss. The Isles of Wonder/Pandemonium segments were awesome, but the other two segments with the NHS and the teenager romance stuff were a letdown, at least for me, not mentioning there wasn't much elements in common connecting all the segments with each other, so i i felt it was a bit inconsistent. I hope Rio can improve over this.

• Like 1

To be fair, I thought London 2012 was a hit and miss. The Isles of Wonder/Pandemonium segments were awesome, but the other two segments with the NHS and the teenager romance stuff were a letdown, at least for me, not mentioning there wasn't much elements in common connecting all the segments with each other, so i i felt it was a bit inconsistent. I hope Rio can improve over this.

I agree. And London's Closing was a knockout compared to its messy, unfocused Opening. Pandemonium was all over the place; NHS was OK, but again, IMO, didn't tell that story very clearly and forcefully (was it Children's Literature or the damned NHS?); and the teenage romance/birth of the internet, was the most contrived -- so corny and out of place for an Olympic Opening Ceremony. I hope Rio doesn't make the same mistakes. Enuf said.

Still I think Brazil is more than this superficial international image.

Don't pay him much mind.

His idea of a worthy representation of Brazil is the perpetuation of stereotypes and cliché imagery. His expectation of a good OC is the only one that should matter in his mind, so no use arguing with him.

• Like 1

I agree. And London's Closing was a knockout compared to its messy, unfocused Opening. Pandemonium was all over the place; NHS was OK, but again, IMO, didn't tell that story very clearly and forcefully (was it Children's Literature or the damned NHS?); and the teenage romance/birth of the internet, was the most contrived -- so corny and out of place for an Olympic Opening Ceremony. I hope Rio doesn't make the same mistakes. Enuf said.

Don't forget the Paralympics opening, which was pretty much more consistent than its counterpart. And we also had Ian McKellen on it.

What I fear is that Rio can not produce a segment or close to the NHS.
About London, I think it's unanimous that 'Pandemonium' was something really incredible, it was amazing from start to finish!
About the NHS segment was the least liked. I wonder Brazil doing the same with the SUS (the Brazilian version of the NHS) would probably be a disaster, because our NHS is ridiculous by the NHS. But I think the NHS could have stayed out.
I liked the sequence of the youth channel.
Now a masterpiece was the sequence 'Happy and Glorious' with Queen Elizabeth II, who expected that? I Do not. The fault I found was that the queen leave the palace when it was still day and to make a short suddenly it was night, the Olympic Park is not far from Buckingham Palace, it did seem that Buckingham was in Manchester.

Many of us cringed initially when we first heard of James Bond and the Queen segment on the leaks, but it ended coming out really nice and comedic.

I do remember though the Queen seemed very cranky during the rest of the ceremony :lol:

I do remember though the Queen seemed very cranky during the rest of the ceremony :lol:

Even today I am curious to know why she seemed to be in a bad mood at the ceremony.
Look the opening statement:
In addition, she was looking paras nails during Britain's parade.
-
Usually the queen is much more cheerful and attentive, my curiosity is great about why the bad mood.

Usually the queen is much more cheerful and attentive, my curiosity is great about why the bad mood.

She told me that she hated the Athletes' Parade. "Too long," she said; "way past my bedtime. They wouldn't let me sneak out before that; and they wouldn't let my double fill in!!" B)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The fact here is that Baron Pierre wants a ceremony he wont see in Rio. Because all he wants is fauna, flora and of course, carmem miranda. I don't think that Rio's ceremonies will be like Sidney. You started saying that when Meirelles said that the ceremony will cost less than London. Well, they don't need to spend a lot of money to make a great ceremony.

The directors had said they will show what Brazil really is, Carnaval will be at the one of the ceremonies. Probably the CC, Rosa Magalhães is working with the CC. They will show Samba, not that one from the schools of samba, but the samba from Lapa neighborhood, from bars and botecos (pubs).

It will be different from Rio 2007 OC, that one was like Sidney. Do you really think we don't have creativity of innovate? Make a different ceremony?

The fact here is that Baron Pierre wants a ceremony he wont see in Rio. Because all he wants is fauna, flora and of course, carmem miranda. I don't think that Rio's ceremonies will be like Sidney. You started saying that when Meirelles said that the ceremony will cost less than London. Well, they don't need to spend a lot of money to make a great ceremony.

The directors had said they will show what Brazil really is, Carnaval will be at the one of the ceremonies. Probably the CC, Rosa Magalhães is working with the CC. They will show Samba, not that one from the schools of samba, but the samba from Lapa neighborhood, from bars and botecos (pubs).

It will be different from Rio 2007 OC, that one was like Sidney. Do you really think we don't have creativity of innovate? Make a different ceremony?

Actually will cust much more that London's ceremony

http://blogs.oglobo.globo.com/lauro-jardim/post/saiba-quanto-custara-cerimonia-de-abertura-das-olimpiadas.html

• Like 1

Peter was included in Sochi because he (and his successor Catherine) forced Russia to leave the Middle Ages and catch up with the development of Europe. St. Petersburg is the great surviving reminder of Peter's advances.

There was a hidden narrative connecting all the major segments (not including the comedy filmlets) in the London Opening; the 2012 motto "Inspire a Generation".

It worked like a family tree, starting with the ancestors we only know from their DNA in us (the pre-show Green and Pleasant Land), then to the ancestors whose lives we can research through censuses etc. (the industrial era); then to the beginning of living memory, with a look at children in 1948, the year London last held the Olympics (also the year the NHS was established). Next adolescence, as represented by popular music and dancing in the mass-media era (from television to the world wide web and the ARM processors which power most smartphones, tablets etc.). Then, after a brief memento mori (corresponding to Prospero's soliloquy after the nuptial revelry in Act 4 of The Tempest), on to the absolute peak of life- participating in the Olympics (i.e. the athletes' parade), and finally passing the torch to the next generation- literally.

Yes, the Frankie and June section was awkward; but in the scheme I outline above, it had to be about adolescence, and it had to be about the recent past. Also, in the other other theme of the ceremony, it had to be about world-scale revolutions spreading from Britain; principally the Web.

Now a masterpiece was the sequence 'Happy and Glorious' with Queen Elizabeth II, who expected that? I Do not. The fault I found was that the queen leave the palace when it was still day and to make a short suddenly it was night, the Olympic Park is not far from Buckingham Palace, it did seem that Buckingham was in Manchester.

I'm pretty sure the original plan at the time of filming the helicopter sequence was to follow normal Olympic custom and have the Queen enter the stadium at the very beginning of the ceremony, around 9pm- but between then and the dress rehearsals, somebody probably realised that the sequence would work better if it came straight after the long and dramatic Pandemonium performance.

Even today I am curious to know why she seemed to be in a bad mood at the ceremony.
Look the opening statement:
In addition, she was looking paras nails during Britain's parade.
-

I have no doubt that the Queen is not particularly fond of either late nights or breathtakingly loud music- but I reckon there's a further element to consider, which is that the shots of the Queen were during the "protocol" segments, not filmed by Danny Boyle and Hamish Hamilton's team, but by the normal Olympic Broadcasting Services crew, who were unhappy at being demoted from their normal role filming the whole ceremony, and not getting the best choice of camera positions. Did they deliberately cut to the Queen only when she was looking bad?

1. Peter was included in Sochi because he (and his successor Catherine) forced Russia to leave the Middle Ages and catch up with the development of Europe. St. Petersburg is the great surviving reminder of Peter's advances.

2. Yes, the Frankie and June section was awkward; but in the scheme I outline above, it had to be about adolescence, and it had to be about the recent past. Also, in the other other theme of the ceremony, it had to be about world-scale revolutions spreading from Britain; principally the Web.

1. Yeah, I know all that about Peter. Luckily, it didn't backfire into, well...the last descendants were massacred by the forebears of the man sitting in view of all the ceremonies, Mr. Blood....errr, Vlady Putin.

2. Shudda-cudda. Still, it was a corny, sub-par, and as you said, quite awkward. Very forced; trying so hard to be so-PC. They could've cut it out.

Do not know,
Queen whenever filmed was the closed face, is the parade of athletes, or at other times, such as in the opening statement, it was very brief, without sorrisso usually it is usually not unsympathetic.
I believe that the sound in the stadium was high, but the Queen does not usually bother with it, just remember that in 2012 just two months before she sets participated in the 'Diamond Jubilee Concert' at The Mall, and even with loud remained with good humor from beginning to end.
I inelegant show queen at that time in the parade of athletes. Oh God! No one looks at what the cameras are filming before the image changes? It was enough to wait 3 seconds.

Yes. And this week president Temer asked the comitte if they need money for ceremonies. But the comitte don't want to spend public money directelly on ceremonies.

I think it's late for more money, the planning has been done with the previous amount.
I do not care about spending, I just want that the only time that our country receives the Olympics can give worthy welcome to the world, and that includes an incredible show.
I'm afraid to disappoint me.

2. Shudda-cudda. Still, it was a corny, sub-par, and as you said, quite awkward. Very forced; trying so hard to be so-PC. They could've cut it out.

It wasn't "trying to be PC"- it was just trying to cram in far too much. As I stated, in the overall narrative it had to be about adolescence in the recent past; but in terms of the Tempest link that meant tying in with the Miranda and Ferdinand whirlwind romance, which naturally led to music and dancing. And given the astonishing success of British popular music in recent decades, there was an obvious temptation to create a megamix. That temptation should perhaps have been resisted, but in a sense the whole point of the medley was that British influences from the 1960s onward freed popular music to be absolutely anything the musicians could imagine. Meanwhile, the first fully functional Von Neumann computer was created in Britain in the London Olympic year 1948, the most successful Reduced Instruction Set microprocessor (15 Billion sold in 2015), which made mobile computing possible, was created in Britain in the 1980s, and Tim Berners Lee created the World Wide Web in the 1990s.

Maybe the whole ceremony should just have focused on a single decade in British history ...

Is it...a peninsula stage? A little odd, & it's all straight lines, nothing like their themes so far...curiouser.

Straight lines, maybe- but not symmetrical; more a simplification of natural features like coastline.

What is that white round thing there? :blink::lol:

A football stadium?

:rolleyes: