Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

Interesting idea that aim to address the opening with 'Geometrization'.

If you do not focus on clichés about Brazil the result promises to be great. I bet the Olympic rings will be formed of people, each ring representing a continent where they came from immigrants. But this would involve leaving the ring Oceania out of their genuine identity.

The Ring of the Americas would be represented by the natives of Brazil.

The Ring of Africa by Africans who were brought to Brazil in slavery.

The Ring of Europe, the Portuguese mixer, Spaniards, Italians, Germans and Slavs.

The Asia Ring, by the Japanese, Chinese and Korean.

And probably the Oceania ring would be given to the Arabs.

Still, in my opinion any ring formed by people will get behind the large productions made by London and Beijing.

Interesting idea that aim to address the opening with 'Geometrization'.
If you do not focus on clichés about Brazil the result promises to be great. I bet the Olympic rings will be formed of people, each ring representing a continent where they came from immigrants. But this would involve leaving the ring Oceania out of their genuine identity.
The Ring of the Americas would be represented by the natives of Brazil.
The Ring of Africa by Africans who were brought to Brazil in slavery.
The Ring of Europe, the Portuguese mixer, Spaniards, Italians, Germans and Slavs.
The Asia Ring, by the Japanese, Chinese and Korean.
And probably the Oceania ring would be given to the Arabs.
Still, in my opinion any ring formed by people will get behind the large productions made by London and Beijing.

The IOC likes to see the 5 rings come in the first 10-15 minutes of the OC:

LA 1984 - balloons

Seoul - the skydivers

Barcelona - the Sardana dancers

Atlanta - the 5 colored tribes

Sydney - the horses

Athens - the fire in the water* (of course, copied from the Fire in the Ice, last sequence of Salt Lake.)

Beijing - the rising twinkly lights on the black screen

London - the molten rings from the Industrialization section

Rio - 500 Carmen Mirandas peeling bananas from their Tutti-Frutti hats!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I agree. But the as whole world knows almost nothing about Brazil too... I really think the same Her Imperial Highness, actually Her Royal and Imperial Highness. Another thing to show to the world: there is an Imperial Family in Brazil.

Ehr... no... Nobody cares or even identifies with the royals anymore. Well, except for small groups of intenet people. Royalty would fit the narrative of an opening ceremony in the case of portrayals of the Brazilian Independence or when the Portuguese court transfered to Rio de Janeiro, but that's basically it, unless the producers are planning to bore the world with history class.

Ehr... no... Nobody cares or even identifies with the royals anymore. Well, except for small groups of intenet people. Royalty would fit the narrative of an opening ceremony in the case of portrayals of the Brazilian Independence or when the Portuguese court transfered to Rio de Janeiro, but that's basically it, unless the producers are planning to bore the world with history class.

Victor, I think you are underestimating the movement for the restorarion of the monarchy. It is bigger and very effective. That wouldn't be a surprise for me if the heir to he brazilian throne was invited to open the games because of the ridiculous situation the country faces by having two presidents. But this is not the point, this is not the question I and another guy have adressed to in our posts. We were just and only guessing on which brazilian characters, historical ones, could possibily be mentioned during the OC. Some pages before that you can see two or three posts in which we mentioned some of them. Zumbi included.

Victor, I think you are underestimating the movement for the restorarion of the monarchy. It is bigger and very effective. That wouldn't be a surprise for me if the heir to he brazilian throne was invited to open the games because of the ridiculous situation the country faces by having two presidents. But this is not the point, this is not the question I and another guy have adressed to in our posts. We were just and only guessing on which brazilian characters, historical ones, could possibily be mentioned during the OC. Some pages before that you can see two or three posts in which we mentioned some of them. Zumbi included.

Let's call him to open the games then :P

The Head of Imperial House

domluizorleansbraganca1.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Luiz_of_Orl%C3%A9ans-Braganza

BTW, I love the Empire anthem :wub:

• Like 1

The IOC Charter says it must be the current Head of State or his/her representative.

True enough- but seven weeks is currently a very long time in Brazilian politics!

The IOC likes to see the 5 rings come in the first 10-15 minutes of the OC:

Sydney - the horses

Athens - the fire in the water* (of course, copied from the Fire in the Ice, last sequence of Salt Lake.)

Not copied from Sydney's initial cauldron lighting pre-reveal?

Not copied from Sydney's initial cauldron lighting pre-reveal?

That was only one ring in Sydney. Whereas the Fire in the 5 rings on ice was how Salt Lake closed out. So, it just seemed like a natural segue to me from the close of the 2002 Games to the Opening of 2004, that the ice would've melted, giving way to the artificial lake of Athens.

• Like 1

Speaking of monarchy, I don't know much of it except for the fact Pedro II is a very reverred figure in Brazil, (specially by the monarchits) to the point many consider him the country best ruler, having overseen its transition into a world power, abolishing slavery, being a notorious patron of arts and having won three major conflicts (including the Triple Alliance War). In fact it seems no one actually wanted him out, but he was outsted in a coup by his political rivals. Ironically the transition to "democracy" brought Brazil onto unstability which took many years to surpass.

Also, Petropolis in the state of Rio was the imperial city of Brazil, which was home to many artists and celebrities back then.

Delfim_da_C%C3%A2mara_-_D._Pedro_II._187

Maybe he could have a small cameo in the ceremonies much like Tsar Peter the Great in Sochi?

• Like 1

I'm outraged!

The history of Brazil Empire (1822-1889) is very important for our country. Our imperial family was responsible for giving independence to our country, abolish slavery (even against farmers who then would a coup), bringing railways, investing in the arts and sciences.

Dom Pedro II was one of the first to see that education was the country's future with the College Dom Pedro II in Rio de Janeiro.

The monarchy was supported by the Brazilian population on November 15 (the date of the coup), only the Army and the São Paulo coffee growers were against.

The history of the Empire Brazil deserves to be told with all the trappings.

His Highness opened the Olympic Games is impractical and utopian. But it sure would not be booed.

Incidentally Pedro II is much better than all the presidents of the republic together.

• Like 2

Speaking of monarchy, I don't know much of it except for the fact Pedro II is a very reverred figure in Brazil, (specially by the monarchits) to the point many consider him the country best ruler, having overseen its transition into a world power, abolishing slavery, being a notorious patron of arts and having won three major conflicts (including the Triple Alliance War). In fact it seems no one actually wanted him out, but he was outsted in a coup by his political rivals. Ironically the transition to "democracy" brought Brazil onto unstability which took many years to surpass.

Also, Petropolis in the state of Rio was the imperial city of Brazil, which was home to many artists and celebrities back then.

Maybe he could have a small cameo in the ceremonies much like Tsar Peter the Great in Sochi?

You summed it up well.
Petropolis in the mountains of the state of Rio de Janeiro is about the 'Brazilian Versailles'.
Brazil has historically ignores the Brazilian monarchy in schools, the books give little space, issues such as the Empire of Brazil are much less studied than others as Getulio Vargas (1930-1945) one fascist dictator or military regime (1964-1985).
Also as a curiosity: a few years ago were voted the '100 greatest Brazilians of all time', Her Highness Princess Isabel was voted the 2nd most Brazilian of all time.
  • Like 1

What the crap I had no idea there were ever Brazilian royals....

Let's call him to open the games then :P

The Head of Imperial House

domluizorleansbraganca1.jpg

BTW, I love the Empire anthem :wub:

Know what? I think brazilian people need taking some history classes.

I highly doubt a surviving member of the royal family would open the games (also I heard there was a dispute betwen two people claiming to be the head of the brazilian branch of the House of Braganza). But it would be a nice touch to have him as an invited guest to the ceremonies alongside the other heads of state. After all, former king Constantine II of Greece is still invited to many events despite not being a king anymore.

The IOC Charter says it must be the current Head of State or his/her representative.

Yes, that is the point. HH could easily be designated honorray reresentative of the Presidency or something like that. It is not diffuclt, but improbable.

I'm outraged!
The history of Brazil Empire (1822-1889) is very important for our country. Our imperial family was responsible for giving independence to our country, abolish slavery (even against farmers who then would a coup), bringing railways, investing in the arts and sciences.
Dom Pedro II was one of the first to see that education was the country's future with the College Dom Pedro II in Rio de Janeiro.
The monarchy was supported by the Brazilian population on November 15 (the date of the coup), only the Army and the São Paulo coffee growers were against.
His Highness opened the Olympic Games is impractical and utopian. But it sure would not be booed.
Incidentally Pedro II is much better than all the presidents of the republic together.

Let's remember that people were not on the streets asking for republic in 1889. There was a coup by church, farmers and military. A real coup, Pedro II had to leave the country. And I don't know what happened to the Prime Minister. The anthem of Empire is now the Independence Anthem. And let's also remember that the indenpendence anthem was written by Pedro I, was him who declared the independence from Portugal.

• Like 1

I'm outraged!

I couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

I highly doubt a surviving member of the royal family would open the games (also I heard there was a dispute betwen two people claiming to be the head of the brazilian branch of the House of Braganza). But it would be a nice touch to have him as an invited guest to the ceremonies alongside the other heads of state. After all, former king Constantine II of Greece is still invited to many events despite not being a king anymore.

Yes.

Not only Constantine II in Greece, as the royal family Serbia is also popular.
I heard that most Serbs favor the restoration of the monarchy, did not know to what extent this is true.

Yes, that is the point. HH could easily be designated honorray reresentative of the Presidency or something like that. It is not diffuclt, but improbable.

I doubt it.
I believe in the impossibility of Temer take the government who would be opening: the governor of Rio de Janeiro, the mayor of Rio de Janeiro, the Minister of Sports, President of the Supreme Court and even Pelé.
The Republican high class so fragile, would not want to give media spotlight for a royalty.

If the ceremony was about Brazil's history they would have so many things to show:

Pre-colonial Period (1500-1530)

Colonial Period (1530-1815)
United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and Algarve (1815-1822)
Empire (1822-1889)
Republic (1890-current)
And also we have the Dutch Invasion around the 1600's, the arrival of Royal Family in 1808 and lot's of other periods. So, thats why I think they choose to show the history of Brazilian People, it's "more simple".
  • Like 1

I do not support the restoration of the Brazilian monarchy. But I think you should never have happened the Proclamation of the Republic.

The history of the Empire needs to be told.

Some brasilerios, think Pedro I and Pedro II were kings of Portugal while Brazil was still a colony, something in the style of the commonwealth realms before the Westminster Agreement.

I heard that most Serbs favor the restoration of the monarchy, did not know to what extent this is true.

I have a serbian friend and this is somewhat true. When you have rulers who are trying desperately to appeal the EU in order to join them to the point they are considering recognizing Kosovo as independent, its not a surprise the royals are much more popular.

Former king Michael I of Romania is also highly popular in his country for his role at WWII and for being a voice of reason during their political turmoils in the last decades.

I do not support the restoration of the Brazilian monarchy. But I think you should never have happened the Proclamation of the Republic.
The history of the Empire needs to be told.
Some brasilerios, think Pedro I and Pedro II were kings of Portugal while Brazil was still a colony, something in the style of the commonwealth realms before the Westminster Agreement.

Not Pedro II. And you can't forget brazilian people voted for republic in 1993. A decision was made and we have to respect. In my opinion, if there is people (and there is) who want monarchy backs they have to propose in congress so we can vote and decide again. Pedro II was not king of Portugal, he was only brazilian imperator