Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

My idea is that this ball is a moon and will come from the water. Could it be possible?

Why? How is that significant? Since when was the "moon" emblematic of Rio or of the Olympic Games? The Games are not dedicated to Artemis or Diana.

Athens? So, why would they copy Athens so soon? Brazil is NOT a maritime nation as Greece is. Just because Rio is a coastal city? Well, so were Sochi, Vancouver, Sydney, even London to an extent -- but water was not used. It's too soon -- and water is not a major Brazilian motif.

In ceremonies, they use elements that have a significance or resonance with the host city, country and culture.

• Like 1

Why? How is that significant? Since when was the "moon" emblematic of Rio or of the Olympic Games? The Games are not dedicated to Artemis or Diana.

Athens? So, why would they copy Athens so soon? Brazil is NOT a maritime nation as Greece is. Just because Rio is a coastal city? Well, so were Sochi, Vancouver, Sydney, even London to an extent -- but water was not used. It's too soon -- and water is not a major Brazilian motif.

In ceremonies, they use elements that have a significance or resonance with the host city, country and culture.

Oh, isn't the beach part of Cariocas' life? How about Rio 2007 OC? You're going too deep in the significates and ignoring little things. Rio 2007 had a sun-caldron.Were they refering to Apollo? No. What I said was what I thought when I saw this picture, the idea I had about. After all we're discusting possibilities.

I'm assuming the water will be projections, flooding the place just seems to anti everything the production team have been saying about these ceremonies. The Athens lake was a pretty big technological undertaking, it doesn't seem like they are prepared for that here.

To me this looks like those boxes are screens to project a backdrop fitting with a particular segment.

I can see the segment as we see it being the Rio Skyline with sea, a sun and the buildings and mountains on those screens. Later the screens could create a jungle, or a favela or have faces of brazilian people.

I do think of sun and sea when i think Rio.

the water will be a projection - they have not installed the mechanism to flood the stadium? also Panasonic are providing visual solution technology for the OC:

http://shop.panasonic.com/about-us-latest-news-press-releases/ces2016-olympic-ceremony-partner.html

so would imagine that they will be involved in the projections and other visual trickery?

i think the water feature will be more static than athens. much like the original plans for london to have water surounding the island field of play.

i can see postcard like staging. the boxes are the buildings/favelas. the foregound is the beach or maybe the famed portugues boardwalk and the water freature represent the sea. the might even put a bit of wave funtion in it who knows.

Could the sun/moon/thing just be a placeholder for an as-yet-undesigned floaty cauldron?

Also, the water looks suspiciously real - with what appears to be a walkway across it?

Remember, that is just a computerized storyboard (from one angle). Execution is another thing. And with a surrounding roof, I don't know how effective a fake "sun" or "moon" would be. As it is, the Cat E seats behind that jungle gym set will already be deprived of many moments, it seems.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Projected or not, the water is linked to the theme of opening. The portugues came by caravels, the black people came by ship.

Yep. They have said that the OC is about the formation of the brazilian people. All imigrants (europeans, africans and asians) came from ships.

I don't think they will use projections for water. The picture looks very real. Also you can see the recflection of the buildings in one of the pictures.

The other posibility for the water, is that they are not "projections", but a screen on the florr as it used on the 2011 Winter Asian Games OC in Astana.... Take in consideration that Panasonic will strongly support technologies in this ceremony

Sth like this.... ????

Asian_Winter_Games_Kazakhstan.jpg

emea-cs-asadia-main-image.jpg

If there is a water flood in the field, it will be another "water ceremony" that started in Sydney, continued in Athens and repplied in Rio 2007 Pan Am OC, 2007 Shangai Special Olympics OC, Singapore 2010 OC, Kazan 2013 OC, Baku 2015 OC .....

Lack of money for the ceremony ?

It went unnoticed the following news in recent days. The newspaper O GLOBO published on May 24, the mayor of Rio urged President Temer more resources for the ceremony because the money that the city has is not enough.

More details:

http://oglobo.globo.com/esportes/temer-diz-paes-que-ira-abertura-das-olimpiadas-19371352

Remember in this forum was shared a picture of what was going to be, suppossedly, parto of the London 2012 OC ... and it was not real...

185013_3953246111095_856197324_n.jpg?oh=

Correct. It could just be one of many considered and rejected concepts; and because it was eventually rejected, it "became available for public viewing." But hey, if LuizFernadez says it will be "real water," then it must be real water.

Just found this other "concept art" for Beijing O.C. -- but which was never used...

004_195.jpg

http://www.yuco.com/projects/2008-beijing-olympics-opening-ceremony

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Correct. It could just be one of many considered and rejected concepts; and because it was eventually rejected, it "became available for public viewing." But hey, if LuizFernadez says it will be "real water," then it must be real water.

Just found this other "concept art" for Beijing O.C. -- but which was never used...

I don't remember saying that. I said here that it looks like real water, not a projection. Also the picture here is very similar to what they're building in Maracanã Stadium. Again, I don't say here what is going to happen. I think in possibilities. I ask for viability.

I don't remember saying that. I said here that it looks like real water, not a projection. Also the picture here is very similar to what they're building in Maracanã Stadium. Again, I don't say here what is going to happen. I think in possibilities. I ask for viability.

I think that "water" projection will be one of dozens that will eventually be used. For Vancouver alone, it took nearly a year to work on the projections. I'm sure it was the same time -- thousands of manhours -- for Sochi, and it will be the same just to find and prepare maybe 60-70-80 projection pieces that will make the final cut.