Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

Looks like we'll be having a sweepstake on how long it overruns- 29 minutes anybody?

The punctual 8pm start time suggests that they may get the entry of the President and the other President, and the national flag raising, in at the start (after the now-traditional introductory video), before commencing the first portion of the cultural presentation at 20:16.

We don't know if the timing will be as exact as they mention.... Rio 20117 Pan Am ceremonies lasted about 40 minutes and from the beggining to the last minute was fascinating!!!! I insist we'll have back the old ways to make ceremonies (Barcelona's style). About the timing of the performances.... At least we already know that it won't be as long as Sochi was..... Remember that Athens performances lasted about 40 minutes being, ath that time, the shortest Olympic ceremony performances ever...

Brazilians have a huge sense of creativity (just look over the Rio Carnival) and ceremonies are about more creativity than luxury... Take a look on Sochi ceremonies, destpite having one of the highest budget nobody wowed about their presentations.... Indeed, it was the Russian version of Vancouver ceremonies

• Like 1

We don't know if the timing will be as exact as they mention.... Rio 20117 Pan Am ceremonies lasted about 40 minutes and from the beggining to the last minute was fascinating!!!! I insist we'll have back the old ways to make ceremonies (Barcelona's style). About the timing of the performances.... At least we already know that it won't be as long as Sochi was..... Remember that Athens performances lasted about 40 minutes being, ath that time, the shortest Olympic ceremony performances ever...

Brazilians have a huge sense of creativity (just look over the Rio Carnival) and ceremonies are about more creativity than luxury... Take a look on Sochi ceremonies, destpite having one of the highest budget nobody wowed about their presentations.... Indeed, it was the Russian version of Vancouver ceremonies

On the timing- if the "começa pontualmente às 20h" bit is wrong, there will be a few annoyed broadcasters around the world, but I think everybody accepts that the total running time can only be a guesstimate. Quite a few people (including me) did wow about the Sochi opening ceremony, which was the Russian version of almost everybody's ceremonies, except that the cauldron lighting seemed to have been designed for an entirely different occasion. But yes, I expect Rio to have huge creative energy and soul.

I kinda hope it's in daylight, as there hasn't been one like that in ages & if anywhere in the world could make a daylight OC work, it's Rio with the carnival costumes etc.

8pm in Rio in August is not daylight, I'm afraid, because it's winter.

I kinda hope it's in daylight, as there hasn't been one like that in ages & if anywhere in the world could make a daylight OC work, it's Rio with the carnival costumes etc.

What a strange reason to set the timing of a ceremony -- just because no one's done it in awhile. Well, Glasgow 2014 did...and boy was the daylight portion corny. It was like an amateur production that decided to do it in daylight because they couldn't afford decent theatrical lighting. That's what it amouts to -- doing something on a shoestring budget. :rolleyes:

Maybe in Brazil repeat the2007 Pan Am ceremony for the Opening show.... (Best Pan Am ceremony ever)

As Seoul did in 1988 repeating 1986 Asiad ceremonies ....

:P:P:P:P

But the Asiad and the Olympics were just 2 years of difference. And for the olympic opening they still added new things like the boat parade on Han River. Now we're talking about almost 10 years of difference, a stadium which is very different from how Maracana was back then in 2007, not mentioning new technologies.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Hip hop, you don’t stop... auditions for Rio 2016 ceremonies get a flavour of the street Skateboarders, roller skaters and hip hop dancers strut their stuff as the battle for places intensifies
audicoes_hip-hop_21112015_gabrielnascime
Three hip-hop groups auditioned to be part of the shows at the Maracanã Stadium (Photo: Rio 2016/Gabriel Nascimento)

Hip-hop dance, skateboarding and roller skating... the opening and closing ceremonies of the Rio 2016 Games are set to bring a taste of urban street culture to the Olympic and Paralympic Movements next year. More than 100 performers from these three youth cultures showed off their skills at a special audition session last weekend (21-22 November), as the video below shows.

Click on cog symbol to select English subtitles:

With stars in their eyes, dancers start auditions for Rio 2016 ceremonies cast

Saturday was hip-hop day, with three groups putting on shows for the selectors. Cazul, which was only formed seven months ago, joined Cia Movimento Underground, whose members performed in the 2007 Pan-American Games ceremonies, and Revolução Urbana de Arte (RUA). Each put on their own two-minute choreography and also performed the test steps, set by choreographer Renata Vieitas.

(Photo: Rio 2016/Gabriel Nascimento)

Sunday saw the skateboarders and roller skaters in action, and Fernanda Cavalcante, assistant choreographer to Deborah Colker, said. “Every day in these auditions we are being surprised. The hip-hop was incredible, very professional. And the skaters did not get left behind – these auditions are showing that the country has rhythm and dance in its blood.”

_mg_0342bx.jpg

(Photo: Rio 2016/Felipe Varanda)

If you want to be a volunteer member of the Olympic and Paralympic Games ceremonies casts, you can still apply by clicking here until the end of the year.

audicoes_patinseskate_22112015_felipevar

_mg_0096bx-mboechat.jpg

Rio 2016

http://www.rio2016.com/en/news/hip-hop-you-don-t-stop-auditions-for-rio-2016-ceremonies-get-a-flavour-of-the-street

• Like 1

Add a small delay to 11:42pm and 90 minutes to get back to Ipanema it willl be around 1:30 to 2:00 am to go to bed.

Next day there is only beach volleyball in the afternoon for us in walking distance.

In 2012 we had a full schedule the morning after the opening ceremony. We will never do that again.

"As for the opening ceremony at the famous Maracana Stadium on August 5, it will start at 8pm and the parade of athletes will begin at 8.40pm. The opening ceremony is expected to finish at 11.42pm."

http://www.ocasia.org/News/IndexNewsRM.aspx?WKegervtea2IRrYeFw5rjg==

Wait, so if the parade of nations lasts about 1.5 hrs, that means they're scheduled to finish walking about 10.10. So what are they going to do for the remainder of the 1.5hrs??? Is the actual pageantry going to begin AFTER the parade of nations? That's unheard of for a summer OC. But it should be interesting to see how they do it!

Maybe they got the numbers wrong. Or they want to try something new indeed for the Summer Games by letting the athletes be a part (or at least only a witness) of the pageantry as well. Maybe they'll use more aerial stunts then and reduce the dancing and the other stuff to the running track or maybe even include the stands (they can do some performances in the aisles)? But as I said, this might be a wrong information after all and we will see the classical Summer Games opening ceremony with most of the pageantry taking place before the parade of nations.

1.5 hours for those few protocol elements is too long by far, in any case. Unless Carlos Nuzman plans to make a veeeeery long speech! :D It happened in earlier ceremonies in the "Latin" countries that officials made endless opening speeches (Giulio Andreotti in Rome 1960, Puerto Rico's Governor Carlos Romero Barceló at the San Juan 1979 Pan American Games or Venezuela's President Luis Herrera Campins at the Caracas 1983 Pan American Games), so who knows what Nuzman has planned (although he was quite short in the 2007 Pan Ams)? ;)

And Carlos Romero Barceló already made the experience that Dilma Rousseff will probably make next year - nevertheless, he made a lengthy speech ;) See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhoX23v0jZg

And here's Campins' speech four years later, only without booing (introduced by Mario Vasquez Rana) ;)https://youtu.be/RkdeN2c4FCo?t=1h16m16s

Wait, so if the parade of nations lasts about 1.5 hrs, that means they're scheduled to finish walking about 10.10. So what are they going to do for the remainder of the 1.5hrs??? Is the actual pageantry going to begin AFTER the parade of nations? That's unheard of for a summer OC. But it should be interesting to see how they do it!

It looks as if they may be taking heed of a hint in the IOC Coordination Commission report on London 2012 (page 49) that athletes would like to be present in the stadium for more of the creative segment. 40 minutes before the parade is not a very short time though, so they may also be adapting the model seen in Sochi, where the creative material was split around the protocol sections.

Hmm, I would disagree with you there, TorchbearerSydney. I found that John Furlong's speeches at the Vancouver 2010 Olympics, Sebastian Coe's closing speech at the London 2012 Olympics and Thomas Bach's opening speech at the Sochi 2014 Olympics left a mark in some regard. Furlong's and Coe's speeches were humane and warm and were also a shift from the usual "we did it... here we are... welcome everybody" blah-blah. And Bach's speech was a remarkable one because it contained a strong statement in favour of tolerance (also towards LGBT people) and thus contained even a bit of criticism towards Putin and his regime. And also Juan Antonio Samaranch's "And what can I say now? Maybe, with my Spanish accent: Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!" at the Sydney 2000 Olympic closing ceremony has stuck in my mind, it showed also that (even if he had his problematic sides, too) he was a good-humoured guy.

Maybe they got the numbers wrong. Or they want to try something new indeed for the Summer Games by letting the athletes be a part (or at least only a witness) of the pageantry as well. Maybe they'll use more aerial stunts then and reduce the dancing and the other stuff to the running track or maybe even include the stands (they can do some performances in the aisles)? But as I said, this might be a wrong information after all and we will see the classical Summer Games opening ceremony with most of the pageantry taking place before the parade of nations.

1.5 hours for those few protocol elements is too long by far, in any case. Unless Carlos Nuzman plans to make a veeeeery long speech! :D It happened in earlier ceremonies in the "Latin" countries that officials made endless opening speeches (Giulio Andreotti in Rome 1960, Puerto Rico's Governor Carlos Romero Barceló at the San Juan 1979 Pan American Games or Venezuela's President Luis Herrera Campins at the Caracas 1983 Pan American Games), so who knows what Nuzman has planned (although he was quite short in the 2007 Pan Ams)? ;)

And Carlos Romero Barceló already made the experience that Dilma Rousseff will probably make next year - nevertheless, he made a lengthy speech ;) See here:

And here's Campins' speech four years later, only without booing (introduced by Mario Vasquez Rana) ;)https://youtu.be/RkdeN2c4FCo?t=1h16m16s

Yeah, at the Pan Am games there was always a break from protocol. I'm actually surprised Campins wasn't booed given 1983 was a very ugly year for the country (the first massive devaluation of the Bolivar currency happened on that year). Surprisingly, Fidel Castro kept it short and just said "Distinguished guest, athletes, comrades, I declare open the XI Pan AM Games. Thank you".

Also, about Dilma, that is if she survives from here until next July. The parliament has initiated the procedements to begin the trial against her for all the corruption scandals and she's already calling it a Coup.

I can vouch for this, having endured the speech from the PASO president at the Toronto 2015 opener! Those Latin Americans love to hear themselves speak!