Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

Don't use Boyle as the yardstick for....

Yes Baron, I got it.

I'm just saying that both artistic directors agreed that extravagances and technological tricks are expensive and unnecessary in ceremonies. Both said that is not intended to overcome the previous ceremonies and thats is a new away of make ceremonies to olympics.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody

The ceromonies will be payed by the Rio 2016 OG, and will coast R$ 132 millions. According to ESPN, London 2012 opening coast R$ 90 millions and in Beijing the OC coast was R$ 196 millions (the most expensive of the history). I agree with mr Meirelles (the director), but what he said was that he had know that the opening will coast 10% from the R$ 196 mi wested in Beijing. It's quite impossible, because the 2014 word cup OC coast R$ 16 millions. And we just know the prices of all ceremonies.

http://espn.uol.com.br/noticia/299840_cerimonia-de-abertura-do-rio-2016-custara-r-132-milhoes-veja-lista-de-gastos

"With ceremonies planned spending is R$ 384 million - will be R$ 132 million just in the opening to the closing, it is expected additional R$ 55 million;. The budget estimates also an expense of R$ 89 million with video screens and fan fests. the producer of the event pocketing R$ 55 million, and the medals ceremonies will cost R$ 8.5 million. "

"Com cerimônias, o gasto previsto é de R$ 384 milhões – serão R$ 132 milhões apenas na Abertura. Para o encerramento, a previsão é de mais R$ 55 milhões; o orçamento estima, ainda, um gasto de R$ 89 milhões com telões e fan fests. A produtora dos eventos embolsará R$ 55 milhões, e as cerimônias de entrega de medalhas custarão R$ 8,5 milhões."

http://espn.uol.com.br/noticia/299840_cerimonia-de-abertura-do-rio-2016-custara-r-132-milhoes-veja-lista-de-gastos

I found the complete OC of the Rio 2007 PanAm games. And guess it's coast? The opening and the closing ceremonies coast together R$ 32 millions. The same price of the sun-caldron in the maracanã stadium.

"With ceremonies planned spending is R$ 384 million - will be R$ 132 million just in the opening to the closing, it is expected additional R$ 55 million;. The budget estimates also an expense of R$ 89 million with video screens and fan fests. the producer of the event pocketing R$ 55 million, and the medals ceremonies will cost R$ 8.5 million. "

"Com cerimônias, o gasto previsto é de R$ 384 milhões – serão R$ 132 milhões apenas na Abertura. Para o encerramento, a previsão é de mais R$ 55 milhões; o orçamento estima, ainda, um gasto de R$ 89 milhões com telões e fan fests. A produtora dos eventos embolsará R$ 55 milhões, e as cerimônias de entrega de medalhas custarão R$ 8,5 milhões."

I found the complete OC of the Rio 2007 PanAm games. And guess it's coast? The opening and the closing ceremonies coast together R$ 32 millions. The same price of the sun-caldron in the maracanã stadium.

The link does not work for me. But, after converting those amounts to $$, those figures seem credible and reasonable. The overall budget of US$122,000,000, is close to what was budgeted in the Bid Books (US$120 mil for Overall Ceremonies); and the $17.2 mil for the foreign producers (so about 15% of the budget) is entirely reasonable. Far more reasonable than the 35% share the foreign producers got for Athens 2004 and Doha 2006.

You can still make an amazing ceremony without having a ridiculous budget. But I think Rio, being the scenic city and overall country that it is, and the first olympics in latin america, is somewhat obliged to make a memorable show. At least they have Rich Birch and K-Productions to produce the ceremonies, which have a vast experience.

Not like, ugh, Dragone *still has bad memories of the 2014 WC opening*

• Like 1

But you just know that 1/3 from London or 1/10 from Beijing looks ridiculous. Of course some plans changed, including the 4 ceremonies, but if you search about it coast you will see that the coast of the ceremonies didn't changed. Only the coast of the arenas, temporary estructures and all the things like that.

Yes. I really dont care with Fernando Meirelles said, he is a really "smart" guy (you can read malandro). He was against the world cup, and some moments against the olympics too. Just the hand over in London was really extravagant, with a lot of LEDs, lights, etc. The hand over of London was a bus for example, and the ceremony was really better. I have sure Rio will make a great and beautiful ceremony.

Rio 2016, will be here as the ceremonies of the Olympics

1434530800_torino1-600x335.jpg

The opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics in Turin in 2006

The opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics in Turin in 2006 signed by Filmmaster

Ten thousand volunteers for the shows. About 800 of those production. And again: 4 thousand people in costume, 3 thousand pounds of fireworks, 2 thousand points of light, 14 kilometers of electric cables, 400 thousand hours of work for the staff, 76 thousand pounds of scaffolding and 1,500 hours of testing. They are just some of the phone numbers to explain what will be and what size they will have the opening and closing ceremonies of the upcoming Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, scheduled 5 to 21 August 2016. They are true show the world the benefit of a global audience.

Few know that behind the two events, but also to those corresponding to the following Paralympics and the entire torch relay, that the journey of the torch from Olympia to Rio (over 250 cities involved, 10 thousand torchbearers, 20 thousand kilometers by air and land) c 'it is an Italian company. It's called Filmmaster Events (spin-off of the main Filmmaster ) is led by President and Sergio Castellani, along with a Brazilian company, the Srcom , has created a joint venture named Cerimônias Cariocas 2016 that will decide the debut in the summer Olympics , wanting to keep out the flag handover to London 2012, that is the final part of the ceremony in which the flag of the IOC goes by the representatives of the city that has just hosted the games to those of the next. Each element of these appointments has in fact its own grammar, different constraints and the need to find appropriate solutions.

But Filmmaster is a giant in the industry. With offices in Rome, Milan, Dubai, London and Rio it is on the field for 35 years and is one of the few accredited companies for the creation and production of Olympic ceremonies. He has already put the signature on the flag handover in Salt Lake City in 2002 and, of course, London 2012, of all the ceremonies of Torino 2006 - Andrea Varnier, CEO of CC2016, was director of the organizing committee - and the Sochi 2014 Paralympic ceremonies. Not only: many other events are by Filmmaster Events. Bicenternario from Mexico in 2010 to the opening and closing ceremonies of the European Football Championship of 2012 until the opening ceremony of the 'America's Cup in 2012 and of the' Expo in Milan. June 6 Filmmaster signed the spectacular ceremony of the Champions League final in Berlin between Juventus and Barcelona. That is to say, if you do not know her name, no doubt you have already come across some great show put up by our national team.

1434546277_fondatori-600x335.jpg

The Brazilian partners of Srcom, associated with the company set design P & G Cenografia, are obviously less. The agency - which together with Filmmaster will also organize the dozens of welcoming ceremonies of the various international teams and great sites for live coverage of races in Barra and Deodoro - produced events like New Year's Copacabana from 2008 to 2014, the Way of the Cross and the main events of World Youth Day in 2013 or the one opening for the Summit of Heads of State of Rio +20 in 2012.

The control lever of the four ceremonies carioca will be entrusted to the names of the highest level: Andrucha Waddington, one of the most important Brazilian filmmakers (Lope, Casa de Areia), Daniela Thomas (Pass line, Insolação), Fernando Meirelles , known internationally for the film City of God (Academy Award nomination in 2004 for Best Director along with Katia Lund) and The Constant Gardener (Golden Globe) for the Olympic section. The Paralympic will be busy with Marcelo Rubens Paiva, Vik Muniz and Fred Gelli, Creative boasting a Cannes Lion.

"We feel very motivated and confident of our partnership - says Castellani to Wired during a launch meeting in about a year from the start, under the hashtag #readyforceremony - in two and a half years of work we have found a strong harmony between the two companies. We have created a very united team, we are like sprinters at the starting blocks, ready to spring. A feeling that indeed we had from the beginning, since we met for the first time Abel Gomes, founder of Srcom ". This time, therefore, is not only to produce the ceremonies but "to manage them - add Castellani and Varnier - providing assistance and consultancy for all activities. Unlike other times, in which operations were being unpacked, on this occasion we have a responsibility to management for every aspect. An important operation and enriching. "

It is in fact the first time that the entire apparatus ceremony of the Olympics is the responsibility of one company, in this case Cerimônias Cariocas 2016. From an artistic the main difficulty is to achieve "the greatest show on earth" answers Gomes, coordinator creative with Meirelles and the other is taking care of the content. "Then the integration of experience combined, Italian and Brazilian, and what the organizing committee expects" adds Varnier.

But how will the opening ceremony of the Rio 2016? For the moment the greatest secrecy, of course, cost. The three are silent. Gomes just blurts out something: "The conceptual part, the one where you go back and forth arguing, correcting, and when you add new ideas to an end - says the coordinator creative - the philosophy is to tell the history of Brazil in an interesting way and exciting, without giving up the most intimate and romantic. Some starting points are two: the music as a source of inspiration and 'joy, the national character, as overall tone. We are at the stage where, from the music stage machinery, from the lights to the sounds the balls up to the production design, the show begins to take shape. "

It is in fact the first time that the entire apparatus ceremony of the Olympics is the responsibility of one company, in this case Cerimônias Cariocas 2016. From an artistic the main difficulty is to achieve "the greatest show on earth" answers Gomes, coordinator creative with Meirelles and the other is taking care of the content. "Then the integration of experience combined, Italian and Brazilian, and what the organizing committee expects" adds Varnier.

That's really NOT the case. Stretching it. Starting with Torino 2006, the 4 ceremonies are OVERSEEN by one entity. Different creative teams are assigned to the 4 Ceremonies (and the most famous one usually gets the regular opening, being the most important) ...but

Beijing was overseen by Yimou's hand-picked team

Vancouver was overseen by David Atkins' group

London by Danny Boyle's team (w/ DB himself just taking care of Opening)

Sochi by Konstantin Ernst as Executive Producer (and Five Currents as the foreign consultant).

It's only now for Rio that the incorporation papers were made under CC. But the scope of responsibility under ONE group has been in effect now for the last 5 Olympic Games.

Well, it seems to me like they're trying to not creat expectations with the ceremonies but I think they're making a great one. A director who worked on London 2012 OC is working with Meirelles since this year's carnaval. I can't even imagne what we're going to see next year.

Directors of Ceremonies in Sapucai

by Michel Castellar in 16.fev.2015 at 18: 25h

The trio of Creative directors responsible for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Olympic Games in Rio accompanied the first day of parades of the Special Group samba schools in Sapucai, on Sunday night, to make observations for the 2016 event Andrucha Waddington , Daniela Thomas and Fernando Meirelles went to the cabin of Rio's city hall and came down on the track during the passage of Mangueira.

- We have come to bring an English art director, who worked at the London ceremony and will be with us. She had never seen the show - said the filmmaker Meirelles.

Meirelles also ensured that the carnival will be present at the ceremonies.

Anyone who wants to better understand the profile of the trio of directors, click HERE .

image-11-e1424117918930-225x300.jpg

Fernando Meirelles watch the parade of the hose. (Photo: Michel Castellar)

Well, it seems to me like they're trying to not creat expectations with the ceremonies but I think they're making a great one. A director who worked on London 2012 OC is working with Meirelles since this year's carnaval. I can't even imagne what we're going to see next year.

The script of the ceremonies was created in 2014. In the first quarter 2015 it was approved by the IOC and entered into pre-production phase. I read some articles on committee Business ceremonies the French and German companies to development of new technologies paras ceremonies.

Here is the link: http://blogs.lancenet.com.br/rio2016/2015/01/19/as-cerimonias-ja-estao-prontas/

I belive the script is 100% ready and they now how they will caldron will be lit.

Probably the plot of the ceremonies is very similar to the PDF file link, consisting data and explaining each segment and other details. http://doc.rero.ch/record/29623/files/Opening_ceremony_media_guide.pdf

• Like 1

Of course the script is ready and they know how the caldron will be lit. IOC doesn't know, IOC knows where the caldron will be, but not how it will be lit. Just a parentheses in portuguese: O roteiro está pronto sim, é claro, no entanto eles trabalham agora na montagem do roteiro, a forma como ele vai ser executado.Além de verem as questões de viabilidade, estão trabalhando em um estádio complicado, que não possui toda estrutura necessária. Fica bem claro quando foi noticiada a questão da cobertura do Maracanã, precisa sustentar 120 toneladas, só suporta 80. A pré-produção é a parte mais difícil, porque eles tem que pensar em soluções criativas para executar o roteiro, aí é que entram as produtoras internacionais.

I tried to say what I sad in portuguese, but it's not equal

The script is ready, of course, now they work in how away it will be done. They are working on a complicated stadium, which does not have enough structure. It is clear when it was reported the issue of Maracana roof, must sustain 120 tons, only supports 80. The pre-production is the hardest part, because they have to think of creative solutions to run the script.

• 3 weeks later...

Director ceremonies of Rio 2016 says that lacked soul at the opening of the World Cup

Guilherme Costa and Vinicius Konchinski

The UOL, in Rio de Janeiro

07/10/2015 6:00 a.m.

claudia-leitte-e-jennifer-lopez-cantam-n

The opening of the Pan-American Games in Toronto will be held on Friday (09), but Brazil already thinking about another inaugural ceremony: the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, scheduled for August 5, 2016. The event already has a definite story line, with proposal to be much more "local" than the first celebration of the World Cup 2014. In fact, in some respects, the football tournament has served as an example of what not to do.

"You better do something with less money, not wonderful, but with real soul, which everyone understands. The only way you thrill and talk to who's at home is the Brazilian thrill and who is there. If you stay midway between talking to or talking to Brazilian gringo, you will lose. You have to say what in fact is a Brazil that gives pride. What will I eat, what I like and what I will understand . What we learned not only that, but of all events, is that you have to have a soul, "said Leonardo Caetano, director of ceremonies of Rio 2016.

With a total cost of R $ 18 million, the 2014 World Cup opening ceremony had Claudia Leitte shows, Jennifer Lopez and Pitbull. The party was held in Itaquera, stage the first match of the football tournament, and started at 15:15 (GMT).

"It's hard to criticize, but imagine you have an event where the creative director is a Romanian choreographer [actually, the artistic director of the opening of the World Cup in 2014 was the Belgian Daphne Cornez] ... it's hard to put soul into a business those. Now you have the Fernando Meirelles, Daniela Thomas and Andrucha. These are people that communicate and produce in Brazil for the Brazilian long ago. Fernando Meirelles may be our great story teller. Daniela Thomas thoroughly understands the manifestations artistic and aesthetic, and Andrucha're used to talking to advertising. I joke that he speaks with the fat lady of Pato Branco and the modernoso boy from Vila Madalena. That's the kind of thing that comes true ", said Caetano.

The opening of the Olympic Games will be directed by Fernando Meirelles, Daniela Thomas and Andrucha Waddington, professional chosen by the organizing committee of the Rio-2016. They have made monthly workshops to discuss details of the ceremony, which is currently prospecting phase of volunteers. The event will be held at night and at the Maracana.

In addition to the ceremony have a more regional perspective than the World Cup, the proposal of the group led by Caetano is betting on a more modern bias. "I think we, as a new country, has the advantage of being able to speak more contemporary than history. I'm not Greece, nor China, countries with 3000 years of history," mused the director.

The opening ceremony of the 2016 Olympic Games already have a base cost. According to Caetano, however, the value is kept secret because it is subject to change: "If you have a great idea it's always easier to get an additional budget you need to have a purpose.".

"I think in Brazil we have a great facility: by the time you meet - and I think the directors met brilliantly - its storyline, it all starts to make sense Obviously this can not be a compendium Nobody here wants.. list all rhythms or cultural events. No one here wants to do that. We want to tell a story that we can not speak yet what it is, but it relies on elements of Brazilian culture, "he added Caetano.

Call for volunteers

Caetano also strengthened the convening of the Rio-2016 so that interested in participating in the ceremonies of the Games to sign up on the site for volunteers. In May, the Rio-2016 opened the nominations period only for those who want to work in the opening parties and closing of the Olympics and Paralympics. Since then, between 4000 and 5000 people have shown interest in collaborating. The Rio-2016, however, expect the collaboration of 12 thousand people.

Who intend to join the party can register until September on two websites: cerimonias.rio2016.com or rio2016.com/elencodecerimonias . According to Caetano, no need to be an artist or professional dancer to participate in the ceremonies of Rio 2016. The committee requires only that volunteers have more than 16 years and some aptitude for presentations.

"It's people who want to participate and be interested in cultural production. Or because he is an actor, musician or why, or why lover of some aspect attached to it. Or maybe because just curious," explained the Director of Ceremonies. "Now, no one needs to be professional. You do not know how to dance well, but need to go run into the middle of the stage and dance," he added.

Caetano explained that it is also important to have available to participate in the tests. Practices should begin in March and extend until the day before the Games begin.

The director of the Games Organizing Committee gave no details of his plans for the celebrations of the Olympics. This is kept secret by the organizers. According to him, selected volunteers will even have to sign a commitment agreement not to disclose information on the celebrations and preserve surprises: "We expect volunteers to collaborate."

Links: http://olimpiadas.uol.com.br/noticias/2015/07/10/diretor-de-cerimonias-da-rio-2016-diz-que-faltou-alma-na-abertura-da-copa.htm

• Like 1

Of course the script is ready and they know how the caldron will be lit. IOC doesn't know, IOC knows where the caldron will be, but not how it will be lit. Just a parentheses in portuguese: O roteiro está pronto sim, é claro, no entanto eles trabalham agora na montagem do roteiro, a forma como ele vai ser executado.Além de verem as questões de viabilidade, estão trabalhando em um estádio complicado, que não possui toda estrutura necessária. Fica bem claro quando foi noticiada a questão da cobertura do Maracanã, precisa sustentar 120 toneladas, só suporta 80. A pré-produção é a parte mais difícil, porque eles tem que pensar em soluções criativas para executar o roteiro, aí é que entram as produtoras internacionais.

I tried to say what I sad in portuguese, but it's not equal

The script is ready, of course, now they work in how away it will be done. They are working on a complicated stadium, which does not have enough structure. It is clear when it was reported the issue of Maracana roof, must sustain 120 tons, only supports 80. The pre-production is the hardest part, because they have to think of creative solutions to run the script.

:blink: Huh?????????? :blink:

" O roteiro está pronto sim, é claro, no entanto eles trabalham agora na montagem do roteiro, a forma como ele vai ser executado.Além de verem as questões de viabilidade, estão trabalhando em um estádio complicado, que não possui toda estrutura necessária. Fica bem claro quando foi noticiada a questão da cobertura do Maracanã, precisa sustentar 120 toneladas, só suporta 80. A pré-produção é a parte mais difícil, porque eles tem que pensar em soluções criativas para executar o roteiro, aí é que entram as produtoras internacionais."

The script is ready, of course, however, they are now working on the script assembly. They are thinking about how it will run. They are also studying all viability issues. The team is working on a complicated stadium, which does not have all the necessary structure. It is clear when it was reported the issue of Maracana coverage: the structure must support 120 tons, only supports 80 tons. Pre-production is the hardest part, because they have to think of creative solutions to run the script. From this point that international producers become part of the project.

• 4 weeks later...