Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

There was full top half nudity in Sydney during Awakenings, not to mention 50 drag queens at the closing!

I vaguely remember the drag queens in the closing ceremony. But again, I'm not offended, or at least I wasn't until I found out that aboriginal women still living the traditional lifestyle don't normally conceal their breasts. So yes, it's part of their culture and as it is their host nation it is well within their rights to do whatever they want for the OC, but not without facing opinions and criticisms of course.

Of course the Muslims and Islamic will be offended by samba, indigina culture. And funk, which is very popular in Brazil but very little known by foreigners and is much more common.
In the World Cup the actress Fernanda Lima (on right) had many problems with his bobs in the draw of the matches.
williamvolcov_sorteiocopa_275.jpg

Fernanda Lima apologizes to Iran for décolleté
Cup draw the presenter regrets censorship party in Muslim country
The brightness of Fernanda Lima draw ceremony in the conduct of World Cup groups in Costa do Sauipe, not only earned praise for the Brazilian 36 years. Became instant success in Western countries, Fernanda eventually causing the censorship of transmission of the party in Iran - citing conservative habits of the Muslim country, the station that aired the party said it was necessary to cut some passages that showed the deep neckline of the presenter. In an interview published on Tuesday by the Portuguese newspaper O Jogo, Fernanda apologizes to the Iranians and regrets the fact that many fans were full of private transmission. "I was upset by them, because they could not attend the live draw," said the Brazilian.

Olympics will make Maracanã be closed for up to 9 months

Current home of Flamengo and Fluminense, Maracanã will not be able to receive football games for much of 2016. The forecast of managers of the stadium is that it is six to nine months closed next year because of the Olympic Games in Rio. period encompasses disputes the Olympics and Paralympics, beyond the stage of fitting time to host the competitions and the Games opening ceremony.

Preparations: Involved in the negotiations on the period that the Maracanã will be closed claim that preparing for the opening ceremony is very complex and requires a specific suitability of the stadium.

• 2 weeks later...

@BairrosFelipe, hey -- re your desire to see some sort of tribute to Santos-Dumont. While it may not make it to the RIo 2016 opening ceremony, I saw the show GIGI on Broadway last Saturday (Facebook link provided below), and in this 'revised version,' the young hero, Gaston, decides to invest in Santos-Dumont's invention. It is mentioned in passing...

So I just thought I would mention it to you. I've already also seen AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (beautiful ballet numbers) and DR, ZHIVAGO on Saturday night. Am in NYC to see a week's worth of shows. Hope to see FINDING NEVERLAND, THE VISIT and ON THE TOWN before I return home on Friday.

• Like 1

@BairrosFelipe, hey -- re your desire to see some sort of tribute to Santos-Dumont. While it may not make it to the RIo 2016 opening ceremony, I saw the show GIGI on Broadway last Saturday (Facebook link provided below), and in this 'revised version,' the young hero, Gaston, decides to invest in Santos-Dumont's invention. It is mentioned in passing...

So I just thought I would mention it to you. I've already also seen AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (beautiful ballet numbers) and DR, ZHIVAGO on Saturday night. Am in NYC to see a week's worth of shows. Hope to see FINDING NEVERLAND, THE VISIT and ON THE TOWN before I return home on Friday.

Interesting, I don't if we will see some tribute or reference to Santos Dumont in the ceremonies, but i have sure i'm not crazy in say this guy is one of the most important personalities in the brazilian culture.

Apologies if this was discussed. Will we see any references regarding the brutal military regimes that plagued Latin America, not limited to Brazil of course, done in an artistic way during the Opening Ceremony do you think since this is the first one held in Latin America? No doubt it's a very important part of Latin America's history (and South America's) and how suffocating and traumatic it was. I think back to what Atlanta's OC directors did with the giant thunderbird almost devoured everything in its path, and as Bob Costas noted it only suggested and symbolized the hardship and turmoil (slavery, racial discrimination, and the Civil War) because "narrative and exposition don't work well" under the artistic pagentry. I think it will be acknowledged somehow in Rio, but surely it mostly wants to be a celebration. More like what we saw in Atlanta as far as the military dictatorships go

• Like 1

First you it is necessary to understand that the military regime in Brazil is a very "ticklish" subject. This regime has finished very little time ago, in the decade of 80, most of my family witnessing it. Many people die and were tortured in this regime, including the current president of Brazil, Dilma Rousseff, and it will certainly be in the ceremonies.

I think it should be done album tribute to the dead and those who desapareceram during the dictatorship. I think something like a scenario would be a horror movie. And also not talk about it would be like a hole in Brazilian history.

Apologies if this was discussed. Will we see any references regarding the brutal military regimes that plagued Latin America, not limited to Brazil of course, done in an artistic way during the Opening Ceremony do you think since this is the first one held in Latin America? No doubt it's a very important part of Latin America's history (and South America's) and how suffocating and traumatic it was. I think back to what Atlanta's OC directors did with the giant thunderbird almost devoured everything in its path, and as Bob Costas noted it only suggested and symbolized the hardship and turmoil (slavery, racial discrimination, and the Civil War) because "narrative and exposition don't work well" under the artistic pagentry. I think it will be acknowledged somehow in Rio, but surely it mostly wants to be a celebration. More like what we saw in Atlanta as far as the military dictatorships go

Uhmmm ... did you see images of the concentration camps in Berlin 1936? Stalinist purges in Moscow 1980? Well, how about the colonels in Greece who threw out the monarchy? Tibetan repression in Beijing? KGB doings in Sochi? Think again.

The thunderbird (and primarily representing the Civil War and the path of destruction that followed in its path) and temporary military dictatorships are different. What would it accomplish? OC's are a celebration of the Games and the host country putting its best foot forward. What would your idea do? C'mon....

• Like 1

Uhmmm ... did you see images of the concentration camps in Berlin 1936?

Concentration camps didn't happen until a few years later...

But yes the Olympics OC by default do not focus on a negative aspect of their history. There is a vague reference that usually lets the audience interpret in their own way, such as the thunderbird representing the chaos that was brought to the south by the Civil War as Barron mentioned. Also Sochi had their Russian Revolution segment that was a bit more on the darker side, but didn't focus on any specific aspects during that time. It ended with a moment of silence for all those who died during the world wars and under Stalin's regime. London's OC also had a moment of silence during Pandemonium for all the lives lost during the world wars, as well as a dedication segment "Abide By Me" to those who lost their lives during the London bombings the day after London was selected as the host for the 2012 Olympics.

We all knew China wasn't going to any similar segment they don't even let their own people google the true history of China the government blocks a lot of sites that give details about things China does not want their own people to know about.

Concentration camps didn't happen until a few years later...

I know that. I mentioned in a timewarp sense -- but the Nazis' anti-Semitic stance was already starting to manifest itself. Actually, those idiots did NOT kick out the Jewish members of their German team until after the US team had set sail out of New York. And that was so there was no turning back for US participation. Anyway . . .

Again

abertura-maracana-c.jpg

After a renovation of more than 1 billion reais, Maracanã will have to undergo another work for the Olympics.

The organizers of the Games opening requested the extension of access to the lawn Tunnel. The estimated an expense of 15 million.

Source

It is very exciting to see how the Brazilian government and the Rio 2016 Committee is willing to make an amazing ceremony. More proof that we will not see anything like as the world cup.

Source

It is very exciting to see how the Brazilian government and the Rio 2016 Committee is willing to make an amazing ceremony. More proof that we will not see anything like as the world cup.

But it was just a request from the Ceremonies Group. I guess they want the tunnel(s) bigger, wider, deeper -- and I think with hydraulic trapdoors. But the additional request doesn't mean it's in the ROCOG's budget.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Nope, you calculated the reverse.

15 Million BRL = 5 Million USD

That's really not much. I think they want wider tunnels as they will probably be using bigger props. The original tunnels were laid out w/ consulting Ceremonies people. And Felipe, when they put out the press releases for additional funds for X purpose, they pretty much mean it. At this stage of the Game, the concepts and the costings of what will be seen, have already been decided-- and it seems on budget. The additional request is for unseen tech problems they did not count on initially.

Salt Lake first asked $6 million from a Foundation for improvements to the stadium and lighting & sound upgrades. They got that. And then when the cauldron ended up having a higher estimate, they asked the same Foundation for an additional $2 mil to cover 2 caldera (the other one being the one at the Award ceremonies). So when CC (Ceremonias Cariocas) say that is what they want the additional funds for, I'm sure it're pretty much going for that purpose.

I guess what I'm saying is that with experienced hands like Birch and Ballich in charge, they pretty much have things under control; and this publicized request is merely to achieve better Ceremonies due to unforeseen glitches.

• Like 1

Nope, you calculated the reverse.

15 Million BRL = 5 Million USD

Unfortunately, I didn't. The short version is that the ATR's (e.g. CoSport) are limited in the % they can mark up tickets... but get around this by using whatever exchange rate they want. Luckily, you won't have to deal with them.

Back to the topic of ceremonies.