Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

Yes, maracana is not strong enough to endure the lighting equipamentes. But that does not mean that there will be extra lighting, in addition to that already exists in the stadium.

Well, if the translation is correct (can any of the Portuguese-speaking members help?), they do need extra lighting and will therefore build four pillars outside the stadium in order to distribute the additional weight:

"To transform the stage in a theater with stage lighting and speakers, you would install 120 tons of equipment on the roof, which holds 81 tons. The initial solution will distribute the load on four pillars provisionally installed outside, suspended above the roof."

Well, if the translation is correct (can any of the Portuguese-speaking members help?), they do need extra lighting and will therefore build four pillars outside the stadium in order to distribute the additional weight:

"To transform the stage in a theater with stage lighting and speakers, you would install 120 tons of equipment on the roof, which holds 81 tons. The initial solution will distribute the load on four pillars provisionally installed outside, suspended above the roof."

Do you have the original link in portuguese?

I would say they would require a lot of extra lighting.

There is no way the stadium would be ready fit with the lighting required for a stadium show. The lighting of the stadium structure is all very pretty, but it doesn't do too much for the field of play.

It wouldn't be the first time external structures were used to support ceremonies overlay, the Athens overhead rigging was connected to stand alone structure as the roof structure was holding up that portion of the ceremonies preparation.

"Um sistema de cabos e peças cenográficas."

Interesting that there's no verb in that sentence from the Globo article. It makes me suspect that the reporter has not understood the information being provided- this probably describes the system for flying scenery / large props on cables, as used in most Olympic ceremonies these days.

"Um sistema de cabos e peças cenográficas."

Interesting that there's no verb in that sentence from the Globo article. It makes me suspect that the reporter has not understood the information being provided- this probably describes the system for flying scenery / large props on cables, as used in most Olympic ceremonies these days.

I dont miss the vert in this sentence.

Maybe do u mean "Um sistema de cabos PARA peças cenográficas"?

I would like a ceremony without aerial, high wire effects. It has now been done to death since Sydney...

Then you would get a low-budget, pasted up Opening like Glasgow's.

The result would be a boring, retro show NOT worth the thousands of $$ they charge. The aerial / high-wire effects make use of that 4th dimension...that space above the field. Otherwise, you would have a very flat, 2-dimensional show from the last century ...and even up to Atlanta -- and you shouldn't attach your name to being an industry professional. You should also then charge 1990 admission prices only to be fair to the ticket buyers.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Then you would get a low-budget, pasted up Opening like Glasgow's.

The result would be a boring, retro show NOT worth the thousands of $$ they charge. The aerial / high-wire effects make use of that 4th dimension...that space above the field. Otherwise, you would have a very flat, 2-dimensional show from the last century ...and even up to Atlanta -- and you shouldn't attach your name to being an industry professional. You should also then charge 1990 admission prices only to be fair to the ticket buyers.

There are other ways to add that vertical dimension without over head stadium wires- inflatables, mechanical lifts, built structures etc that have been used from Beijing to Manchester. Rios Carnivale has plenty of vertical costumes with the only wires being the under wires of bras!

Innovation is more exciting than endless repeat.

These added... whatevers to the Maracana worries me a bit. I think it would have been better for them to have made the athletics stadium ceremony-capable and just downgraded it significantly after the games than to have to figure out crap around the Maracana. It might have even cost less too.

These added... whatevers to the Maracana worries me a bit. I think it would have been better for them to have made the athletics stadium ceremony-capable and just downgraded it significantly after the games than to have to figure out crap around the Maracana. It might have even cost less too.

I agree. Anyway the Engenhão (the athletic stadium) should be finished until the games. And this stadium is stronger and bigger to the ceremony. The capacity is 18.000 lower than Maracana. I think it's better than need build new structures.
In 2011 the opening and closing ceremonies of the Military World Games happened in Engenhão. Some pics:
engenhao_testedeluz_genilsonaraujo1.jpg
5944452853_9e64d75eca_o.jpg

543998.jpg

militares02.jpg

It's funny how you guys are re-planning the Ceremonies, that you know better than what the people actually in charge are planning and are fully convinced you are right -- yet not one of you are even within 5 blocks of Birch/Ballich's offices, let alone near Rio at all. :lol::lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

There are other ways to add that vertical dimension without over head stadium wires- inflatables, mechanical lifts, built structures etc that have been used from Beijing to Manchester. Rios Carnivale has plenty of vertical costumes with the only wires being the under wires of bras!

But don't forget that the stadium entrances are too small for tall structures. Overhead wires can be useful to stabilise ultra-large ground-based expanding structures.

But don't forget that the stadium entrances are too small for tall structures. Overhead wires can be useful to stabilise ultra-large ground-based expanding structures.

@JMark -- Torchbearer and Bairros, etc., are re-planning the 2016 shows without Birch-Ballich knowing that there is a shadow group planning an alternate version!! :lol: Of course, they totally discount the fact that extra tunnels were added during the Maracana renovation precisely for the 2016 ceremonies. But hey, what do I know?? :lol:

Bairros, Torch, can you share your other plans for Ceremonies? We are intrigued.

It's funny how you guys are re-planning the Ceremonies, that you know better than what the people actually in charge are planning and are fully convinced you are right -- yet not one of you are even within 5 blocks of Birch/Ballich's offices, let alone near Rio at all. :lol::lol:

No one´s fully convinced about the Ceremonies....we are just talking and trying to guess what´s going to happen...just that...can we?! ^_^

• Like 1

No one´s fully convinced about the Ceremonies....we are just talking and trying to guess what´s going to happen...just that...can we?! ^_^

Of course , you/we all can. And yes, no ONE knows what exactly is going to UNFOLD in the Ceremonies. But like the handicapping of the bid cities -- which is the raison d'etre of this website, some of us here can also guess what's more or less going to appear in 2016. But it's just funny how some of you newish posters here who are getting excited about next year tend to discount the other guesses, even after being told the rationalizations about what's probably going to or NOT going to happen based on how these Ceremonies go AND the known handiwork of the 2 guys in charge who have a LONG resume of past O Ceremonies.

Just saying I find it funny. ;) But don't let that stop you, please.

"tend to discount the other guesses"...not me!!!!

I just like to watch the ceremonies and, of course, the Games. I was in London 2012 and almost every day I read the posts here (since 2007)...unfortunately my english´s not so perfect (as my portuguese or spanish :lol: ) and I have no time to write here everything I would like to say about the ceremonies and about the Games.

Love and olympic spirit for all of you.

Vai Brasil!! ;)

• Like 1