Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

The slums are a reality in Brazil. In Rio, 14% of population lives in favelas (IBGE, Census 2010). (Rio City Hall says 16%)

http://exame.abril.com.br/brasil/noticias/sao-paulo-e-metropole-com-mais-moradores-de-favelas-do-brasil-segundo-o-ibge

Let's stick to correct information, Felipe, please, we are tired of favela-poor-misery-third world bullshit in threads.

We, Brazilians, don't like to see our entire country reduced to Amazon forest when in fact we have dozens of unique ecossystems... From Atlantic Forest already said to Cerrado (Brazilian Savannah) or Pantanal (Swamps Region) or the Pampas....

Amazon Forest is huge, but it's only one part of North-Northwest Brazil.

That's the pitch Rio-OCOG is using since the victory in Copenhagen years ago. I don't think any favela will be built, maybe indirect references (like music or art), but I can't imagine poor housing being featured as a national or local pride... This would be a reason for huge boooing from the stadium...

Yeah, sorry by ignorance.
Anyway i think this a chance of Rio and Brazil show the good side of lifestyle in slums. Slums in Brazil have a lot of families in medium class and a amazing culture. It is not just violence and poverty. Of course the center of ceremony cant be the slums. I just think this a theme need be showed.

Yeah, sorry by ignorance.
Anyway i think this a chance of Rio and Brazil show the good side of lifestyle in slums. Slums in Brazil have a lot of families in medium class and a amazing culture. It is not just violence and poverty. Of course the center of ceremony cant be the slums. I just think this a theme need be showed.

It can be showed, but, I don't think as a scenario for some act, maybe a subtle background for a samba musical part...

Usually, this part of Brazilian culture is explored via carnaval parade when showcasing Brazil abroad.

From my point of view, these could be some of the sections/proceedings for the Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony (RIO 2016 committee, you´re welcome :lol: ):

4 main characters (3 grandpas and a kid) drinking and eating in a "boteco" and telling (to the kid) a story:

Between the Ocean and the Forest - scenario with a beach, ocean, forest, wildlife, indigenous traditions, the arrival of the portuguese.. In this section some indigenous could make a "handmade" and traditional fire/torch...to use later...

Times Flies - about the transformations in Rio through time (some history B) with slave traditions and songs, capoeira, and Rio during the XIX and XX centuries)

This is Rio - Rio nowadays: a modern, young, multicultural and so vibrant city, looking to the future.(with music, novelas, samba, favelas, futebol, calçadão, sports, good looking bodies also ) :D

FlameS - the flame made by the indigenous in the begging of the ceremony could mix with the Olympic flame, to make a very and unique flame.

:ph34r:

• Like 1

There has to be a HUGE plastic surgery segment in the Opening -- like the NHS segment in London. So they will have have ugly, pudgy "patients" show up. Then there are surgical teams singing and dancing. They all go behind operating screens. Projections galore. And then voila, beautiful perfect people, even those w changed sexes appear!!

Maybe they should have Bruce Jenner appear next year in that segment rather than wait until 2024! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Directors of the Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony visits the Sambadrome

*Sambodrome is the name given to an exhibition place for the Samba schools parades during Carnaval in Brazil" Wikipedia

The trio of Creative directors responsible for the Opening Ceremonies and Closing of the Olympic Games in Rio followed the first day of parades of the Special Group samba schools in Sapucai, on Sunday night, to make observations for the 2016 event Andrucha Waddington Daniela Thomas and Fernando Meirelles went to the cabin of the Carioca city hall and came down on the track during the passage of Mangueira.

- We came to bring an English art director, who worked at the London ceremony and will be with us. She had never seen the show - said the filmmaker Meirelles.

As the carnival is one of the top Brazilian expressions, it will be present in the ceremonies. Meirelles confirmed that, at some point, the party will be portrayed momesca. The award-winning director of films like City of God (2002) and Blindness (2008), said that the budget of Ceremonies was not yet complete.

But not stressed that this is a moment of concern. The second most important Meirelles is the fact that the ceremony already have a scope. And the point is to develop it. In January, L! NET revealed that the draft of Ceremonies was ready, after a process that began in 2013.

On occasion, the Executive Director of Ceremonies of the Rio 2016 Organizing Committee, Leonardo Caetano, explained that only lack the backing of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

- With the approval of this draft, we will begin the pre-production process. Some things have already been done and some not - said the executive director of Ceremonies of the Rio 2016 Committee.

The forecast is that the approval of the draft of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies take place from Monday, when the IOC Coordination Commission for the Rio-2016 Games will launch a new design review in the state capital. The choice of the creative directors trio was based on three main features: the ability to work with large budgets, group and listening.

- - -

SURPRISE! We will see carnival in the ceremonies of Rio. :D

• Like 1

Directors of the Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony visits the Sambadrome

*Sambodrome is the name given to an exhibition place for the Samba schools parades during Carnaval in Brazil" Wikipedia

The trio of Creative directors responsible for the Opening Ceremonies and Closing of the Olympic Games in Rio followed the first day of parades of the Special Group samba schools in Sapucai, on Sunday night, to make observations for the 2016 event Andrucha Waddington Daniela Thomas and Fernando Meirelles went to the cabin of the Carioca city hall and came down on the track during the passage of Mangueira.

- We came to bring an English art director, who worked at the London ceremony and will be with us. She had never seen the show - said the filmmaker Meirelles.
As the carnival is one of the top Brazilian expressions, it will be present in the ceremonies. Meirelles confirmed that, at some point, the party will be portrayed momesca. The award-winning director of films like City of God (2002) and Blindness (2008), said that the budget of Ceremonies was not yet complete.
But not stressed that this is a moment of concern. The second most important Meirelles is the fact that the ceremony already have a scope. And the point is to develop it. In January, L! NET revealed that the draft of Ceremonies was ready, after a process that began in 2013.
On occasion, the Executive Director of Ceremonies of the Rio 2016 Organizing Committee, Leonardo Caetano, explained that only lack the backing of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
- With the approval of this draft, we will begin the pre-production process. Some things have already been done and some not - said the executive director of Ceremonies of the Rio 2016 Committee.
The forecast is that the approval of the draft of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies take place from Monday, when the IOC Coordination Commission for the Rio-2016 Games will launch a new design review in the state capital. The choice of the creative directors trio was based on three main features: the ability to work with large budgets, group and listening.

- - -

SURPRISE! We will see carnival in the ceremonies of Rio. :D

What a surprise!!! ;)

Probably we will see the carnival during the Closing Ceremony. The OC will be more intimist. That´s my bet.

Also, Shakira is from South America, but she's from Columbia and not Brazil. It would be interesting to see if they do have non-Brazilian performers at the closing ceremony. The only one that comes to mind to have a performer who wasn't from the host nation was Ricky Martin for the 2006 WOG in Turin/Torino. I thought that was pretty weird, especially since he played the theme song for the 1998 World Cup.

Also, Shakira is from South America, but she's from Columbia and not Brazil. It would be interesting to see if they do have non-Brazilian performers at the closing ceremony. The only one that comes to mind to have a performer who wasn't from the host nation was Ricky Martin for the 2006 WOG in Turin/Torino. I thought that was pretty weird, especially since he played the theme song for the 1998 World Cup.

I don't agree. I think Brazil is hosting the games so we should show just brazilian singers. We have so much amazing singers and bands, is really unfair change our music by other artists from others countries.
I can make a list with 50 singers/bands from Brazil i would love see in the opening ceremony and others 50 singers/bands i would like see in the closing ceremony.

Celine Dion in Atlanta. Bjork in Athens. Sara Brightman in Beijing. Jay Z and Rihanna at London Paras.

Edited by ofan

I don't agree. I think Brazil is hosting the games so we should show just brazilian singers. We have so much amazing singers and bands, is really unfair change our music by other artists from others countries.
I can make a list with 50 singers/bands from Brazil i would love see in the opening ceremony and others 50 singers/bands i would like see in the closing ceremony.

They use INTERNATIONAL stars. Using talents known only locally does NOT sell the international brand. So, like -- who's s/he?? It does NOT give the show international appeal that a truly worldwide star like Celine or Ricky Martin, the Spice Girls, Paul MacCartney, no-talent Gloria Estefan, Placido Domingo, etc. would give. The Athens Closing was musically very nice but so what? you didn't know who all those Greek singers were. They didn't even use the most famous contemporary pop Greek singers Nana Mouskouir and Yanni -- and which is why the Greek economy turned south.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Most of these artists sing along to an artist of the host country. Jay Z and Rihanna performed with the band Coldplay in ceremony of the Paralympics Games.
What about Sydney in 2000?

Olivia Newton-John was the most int'l name. Then Tina Amorosi afterwards.

There's a whole list of all the int'l artists who have performed at all the Olympic ceremonies since Squaw Valley 1960 to date, on pages 155-156 of my book -- the only book to carry such a listing.

Most of these artists sing along to an artist of the host country. Jay Z and Rihanna performed with the band Coldplay in ceremony of the Paralympics Games.
What about Sydney in 2000?

Sydney got very nervous about international performers after the marching band was 'exposed' as mainly from overseas. All the Acts were Australian, with no foreign international big names invited.

We are very insecure and inward looking, and not very 'global' in cases like this.

Olivia Newton-John was the most int'l name. Then Tina Amorosi afterwards.

Tina Amorosi??? I think you mean Vanessa Amorosi. And no the one who had more int'l recognition after Olivia Newton-John is Kylie Minogue. Also Savage Garden at that time was pretty popular, as well as Men At Work is internationally known for their stuff during the 80s.

Sydney got very nervous about international performers after the marching band was 'exposed' as mainly from overseas. All the Acts were Australian, with no foreign international big names invited.

We are very insecure and inward looking, and not very 'global' in cases like this.

For Australia that worked fine as they had a sufficient amount of international names in their lineup. Also the music style was very similar to music styles of more well-known international music artists so it worked.

It wasn't like Greece that had a bit too much of a traditional sound. I love their closing ceremony up until the concert parts. Those were rather boring. Still a more lively closing ceremony than Sochi's. Dear god that was a snoozefest and soulless closing ceremony.

I kind of enjoyed the Athens closing concert. Obviously , not well known to the international audience, but it reminded me of the swarms of tourists who flock to the Greek islands and party to their music.

I thought it kind of fit pretty well, and it seemed to get the crowd going.

Anna Vissi in particular seemed to go pretty well.

I'm all for the majority of performers being local, but I can't help but think the Olympics are gagging for a Beyonce or Katy Perry to make an appearance when it comes to the Closing Ceremony concert.

London did well (especially for someone like myself who generally prefers British music), this is all personal taste though I guess.

I kind of enjoyed the Athens closing concert. Obviously , not well known to the international audience, but it reminded me of the swarms of tourists who flock to the Greek islands and party to their music.

I thought it kind of fit pretty well, and it seemed to get the crowd going.

Anna Vissi in particular seemed to go pretty well.

I'm all for the majority of performers being local, but I can't help but think the Olympics are gagging for a Beyonce or Katy Perry to make an appearance when it comes to the Closing Ceremony concert.

London did well (especially for someone like myself who generally prefers British music), this is all personal taste though I guess.

Yea the concert part of the closing ceremony in London I liked. The very beginning though with that traffic crap I thought was a bit cheesy.

Tina Amorosi??? I think you mean Vanessa Amorosi. And no the one who had more int'l recognition after Olivia Newton-John is Kylie Minogue. Also Savage Garden at that time was pretty popular, as well as Men At Work is internationally known for their stuff during the 80s.

Whoops. My bad. I mated Vanessa A. w/ Tina Arena. My meds must've not kicked in yet.

I want to see the spectacular Rio Carnival and its exuberant samba queens. There is nothing more beautiful in the world.

16370564360_b81fa7e7b3_b.jpg

Rio Carnaval 2015 - Unidos da Tijuca - Raphael David | Riotur by RIOTUR | ASCOM, on Flickr

16370146289_b94eceaf1f_b.jpg

Rio Carnaval 2015 - Beija-Flor - Alexandre Macieira | Riotur by RIOTUR | ASCOM, on Flickr

16557643365_a484576ba8_b.jpg

Rio Carnaval 2015 - Imperatriz - Raphael David | Riotur by RIOTUR | ASCOM, on Flickr