Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies.

Check it out here if you haven't seen it. The official pageantry part begins around 28:40

What you said was perfect! I think the opening in Rio will be similar with the idea of the opening of Sydney in 2000, but more modern of course.

The best moment in this ceremony is around 59:00.

What you said was perfect! I think the opening in Rio will be similar with the idea of the opening of Sydney in 2000, but more modern of course.

The best moment in this ceremony is around 59:00.

This ceremony makes me remenber of the opening the Pan American Games in Rio 2007.

pan12g.jpg

Source.

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHphe4VBeMM

I am sure Rio while stun the world with its opulence IF it remains faithful to its identity and not feel pressured to reinvent the wheel. Give the audience what it expects. Olympic Opening Ceremonies are anticipated the world over because the provide a single moment when people around the world expect their souls to soar with the art of Stadium theatre in a way that indexes the values and spirit of the host nation. I do hope the planners in Rio will ignite that hope through out the world visually.

Ric Birch and Marco Ballich are in charge -- so it will definitely be along the lines of Sydney, Torino, Vancouver and Sochi -- telling about the country and the land, the Amazon* (arrival of the Europeans, rain forest, environmental messages, etc.) with the flora, fauna and the Carmen Miranda drag queens :lol: ) being the active elements in the sections. I mean -- what else could it be? Then there is a tribute to sport and to the host city. That's pretty much what it will boil down to.

Knowing Birch, big Carnavale section will be saved for the Closing -- and then that would contrast with something very slow, zen-like and boring for the Tokyo handover portion.

I want a very retro portion with a GIANT stunt- card section that rivals those of the North Korean Arirang Games!! Put those favela residents to good use!! :lol:

42-North_Korea.jpg

* amazon should advertise heavily during the Rio coverage!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I read in the blog Lancenet the Rio can make an inovation in the athletes parade in Rio 2016. It is very likely that the parade of athletes occurs in the beginning of the ceremony.

I think thats would be great if u think in the huge imigration of europeans, asians, africans and arabians in Brazil colony. This could make contribute to the history part of the ceremony.

I do hope Mr. Birch does not resort to OLD sequences. I'm afraid you can almost always tell when a ceremony has been done by him. Keep the spectacularism. Lose the familiarity.

You can be both familiar and spectacular at the same time. Not everyone's old is of a similar sequence. Are you really going to say that he old sequences of Sydney, Athens, Torino, Beijing, Vancouver, and Sochi are basically the same??? No. They may be the same in the sense that the ceremony started with it, but by no means did they even look the same or they were implemented the same way. Everyone has a different old history, therefore it will be a totally new experience for each ceremony. If you can't see that, I think you're pretty damn dense.

Agreed, I would like a change from the six (or so) clearly defined scenes- Opening wow, enviro, natives, explorers, cities, future, formal.... and have maybe a more seamless 1 hour 'show' ....... London cut and changed in a clunky and messy way, Athens was more flowing..... or some other model of ceremony.

Athens pretty much did the exact same thing, the only difference is they did a terrible job of going through their own history with that awful parade that you would be miserable to see if you were in the audience and paid about a thousand dollars or more just to be there live. And it was also rushed, absolutely nothing breathtaking about it.

• Like 1

I read in the blog Lancenet the Rio can make an inovation in the athletes parade in Rio 2016. It is very likely that the parade of athletes occurs in the beginning of the ceremony.

If ROCOG is willing to give 9,500 AA seats for that, then it will happen. But I doubt it. These are NOT the WOGs, where only under 3,000 march in. And then, what happens for the rest of the ceremony? You have to keep that field filled with something.

If ROCOG is willing to give 9,500 AA seats for that, then it will happen. But I doubt it. These are NOT the WOGs, where only under 3,000 march in. And then, what happens for the rest of the ceremony? You have to keep that field filled with something.

And not only that, this is also a Summer opening ceremony taking in a football stadium NOT an athletics stadium. So there is a severe limit of field space. The athletes cannot be easily accommodated on the floor and then leave enough space for a spectacular ceremony, they would have to be seated with the rest of the specators in the stadium if they want the athletes to be present for the whole presentation.

And not only that, this is also a Summer opening ceremony taking in a football stadium NOT an athletics stadium. So there is a severe limit of field space. The athletes cannot be easily accommodated on the floor and then leave enough space for a spectacular ceremony, they would have to be seated with the rest of the specators in the stadium if they want the athletes to be present for the whole presentation.

The LanceNet says it will be a huge innovative idea in the olympic games. I think will be like the Pan 2007 in Rio. The athletes parade was in the beginning of the ceremony and they stayed in the stands of the stadium sitting

The LanceNet says it will be a huge innovative idea in the olympic games. I think will be like the Pan 2007 in Rio. The athletes parade was in the beginning of the ceremony and they stayed in the stands of the stadium sitting

Not unless they are going to give them the cheaper seats, higher up. But then having them march in and then make their way to what would be cheaper seats would look very messy (or not unless they don't show that). I guess it's possible. But then Birch-Ballich have to find something to fill that field with. You can't have the Torch come in in empty field with only 100 performers on the floor.

I think the "innovation" Lancenet is talking about is the entry of the athletes -- so a la Sochi and the Dubai 2006 -- which style Birch had always wanted to do since Barcelona 1992 but for which NBC has said "no."

Then also, and I guess they haven't figured it out yet. But once the athletes are seated in the stands, getting them out and back to the Village will be a nightmare, while the other 65,000 patrons, 10,000 performers, etc., are also making their way to the Metro station and buses. But if they were herded in the field, loading them into buses back to the Village would be easier. But hell, let Birch-Ballich figure that out.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

This is the stand that athletes stayed during the ceremony.

This really seems impracticable but was the solution in 2007.

Barrios, the pricing of the seats are different. The Olympic seats are probably 15x or 20x cost of the PanAm Opening seats. Plus, that looks like only 5,000+. An Olympic Opening Ceremony is the MOST-SOUGHT after ticket always. So, if ROCOG is willing to lose like 9,500 'prime seats" and probably like $5 million in lost receipts, then they will do it. But you cannot really compare. One is a regional; the OGs are the biggest international thing.

Also, for the dress rehearsal which they tape as a back-up, they cannot have audience shots of the final Dress Reharsal as a back-up because the Athletes never march in the Dress-Rehearsal. So I don't know how the producers are going to tackle that situation.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Barrios, the pricing of the seats are different. The Olympic seats are probably 15x or 20x cost of the PanAm Opening seats. Plus, that looks like only 5,000+. An Olympic Opening Ceremony is the MOST-SOUGHT after ticket always. So, if ROCOG is willing to lose like 9,500 'prime seats" and probably like $5 million in lost receipts, then they will do it. But you cannot really compare. One is a regional; the OGs are the biggest international thing.

Also, for the dress rehearsal which they tape as a back-up, they cannot have audience shots of the final Dress Reharsal as a back-up because the Athletes never march in the Dress-Rehearsal. So I don't know how the producers are going to tackle that situation.

BAIRROS* Please.

What about the Closing of London 2012? The athletes stayed in the center of stadium since 40 minutes of ceremony. Anyway this option would be terrible, not much space to the rest of ceremony.

BAIRROS* Please.

What about the Closing of London 2012? The athletes stayed in the center of stadium since 40 minutes of ceremony. Anyway this option would be terrible, not much space to the rest of ceremony.

As I mentioned, the stadium used for the OC in Rio IS NOT an athletics stadium like the one used in London for the O/C ceremonies. The Maracana is a a football/soccer-specific stadium The field size is 105 m × 68 m (344 ft × 223 ft). The one in London has a much larger field size because of the track, therefore leaving plenty of room to work with and develop a great closing ceremony.

I agree fully with you.

Anyway that would will be a bit similar with the Pandemonium in the opening of London 2012? No?

London 2012 Opening Ceremony - Pandemonium (Industrial Revolution Section)

I hope they go really Earthy. Like beautiful, elaborate costumes depicting Brazilian landscapes to the tune of cosmic female vocals. And then BANG! Start the drumming and whistle blowing to symbolize urbanization. Just a midnight idea.

i do hope it is not too linear. i mean going from the past to the arrival of the european to modern times. i do think london's OC, to be specific green and pleasant land and pandemonium, was a game changer.

what i envisioned is a pavella in the field of play early on and the people doing various sports. and then 'destroying' that pavella to 'grow' the amazon rain forest'.

i do hope it is not too linear. i mean going from the past to the arrival of the european to modern times. i do think london's OC, to be specific green and pleasant land and pandemonium, was a game changer.

what i envisioned is a pavella in the field of play early on and the people doing various sports. and then 'destroying' that pavella to 'grow' the amazon rain forest'.

Thats the inverse of the history lol

Anyway Rio is really far from Amazon Rain Forest, Rio is inside the Atlantic Forest (or Mata Atlantica in portuguese).

Anyway Rio is really far from Amazon Rain Forest, Rio is inside the Atlantic Forest (or Mata Atlantica in portuguese).

Details. U can't be too technical about these things. #1 - References are always national because you are presenting the HOST culture and city to the world; and #2 - it's what will work theatrically!!

That doesn't mean anything, as the OCs usually display what the country as a whole represents, not just the individual city. There are a few exceptions, in particular the one for the Atlanta games. Dear god what a disaster.

That doesn't mean anything, as the OCs usually display what the country as a whole represents, not just the individual city. There are a few exceptions, in particular the one for the Atlanta games. Dear god what a disaster.

Atlanta had the gift/curse (whatever your opinion happens to be) of being obligated to mark the centennial in addition to their local culture.

I feel they covered everything off extremely well in a well produced show, creating some of the most beautiful segments in Olympic ceremonies history. However, I can see how this show (probably along with Athens) is one that is always going to polarise people.

I think Rio should show the lifestyle in slums, like the sports there, but make a huge slum in the center of stadium dont is sounds a good idea. If the ceremony should show the context of the country does this idea worst. The slums are a reality in Rio, where around 30% of population lives in slums, but not in Brazil where less than 6% of population lives in slums.

Details. U can't be too technical about these things. #1 - References are always national because you are presenting the HOST culture and city to the world; and #2 - it's what will work theatrically!!

references can be about the city or/and the country. it's not a either/or situation. you can reference the girl from ipanema.

I think Rio should show the lifestyle in slums, like the sports there, but make a huge slum in the center of stadium dont is sounds a good idea. If the ceremony should show the context of the country does this idea worst. The slums are a reality in Rio, where around 30% of population lives in slums, but not in Brazil where less than 6% of population lives in slums.

my interpretation of of is that brazil is trying to get out of the slums. it's aspiration. destroying the worst of Brazil's past trying to grow a new future

another concept i would like them to do is a calling of the nations to latin america. using drummers from past olympic OC (london,beijing, athens, atlanta etc), a single drummer in the stadium would make a call and the past dummer would respond in the order of thier prospective years but athens will be called first answer as it was the first Olympics host.

references can be about the city or/and the country. it's not a either/or situation. you can reference the girl from ipanema.

my interpretation of of is that brazil is trying to get out of the slums. it's aspiration. destroying the worst of Brazil's past trying to grow a new future

another concept i would like them to do is a calling of the nations to latin america. using drummers from past olympic OC (london,beijing, athens, atlanta etc), a single drummer in the stadium would make a call and the past dummer would respond in the order of thier prospective years but athens will be called first answer as it was the first Olympics host.

Thats interessing.

Anyway the slums are a current problem of Rio/Brazil/South America.

I would like to see a connection between the end of slavery and the emergence of slums.

When I say show the slums is not the poor homes, but the lifestyle there, the sports, the musics, the dance, like funk or rap.

I nice remenber the World Cup showed this.

capture-20140416-162327.png

08062013-campo-de-futebol-em-favela-do-r

The slums are a reality in Rio, where around 30% of population lives in slums, but not in Brazil where less than 6% of population lives in slums.

The slums are a reality in Brazil. In Rio, 14% of population lives in favelas (IBGE, Census 2010). (Rio City Hall says 16%)

http://exame.abril.com.br/brasil/noticias/sao-paulo-e-metropole-com-mais-moradores-de-favelas-do-brasil-segundo-o-ibge

Let's stick to correct information, Felipe, please, we are tired of favela-poor-misery-third world bullshit in threads.

We, Brazilians, don't like to see our entire country reduced to Amazon forest when in fact we have dozens of unique ecossystems... From Atlantic Forest already said to Cerrado (Brazilian Savannah) or Pantanal (Swamps Region) or the Pampas....

Amazon Forest is huge, but it's only one part of North-Northwest Brazil.

That's the pitch Rio-OCOG is using since the victory in Copenhagen years ago. I don't think any favela will be built, maybe indirect references (like music or art), but I can't imagine poor housing being featured as a national or local pride... This would be a reason for huge boooing from the stadium...

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1