2014 World Cup Knockout Stage

gotosy

Ugh, the dutch are such a racist people. First De Telegraaf and now KLM. ._. I supported them until yesterday. Now I hope they get crushed, although I would honestly prefer they win instead of Brazil.

I feel sorry for Algeria. They played until the very end and tried to turn the tides, but sadly Germany was stronger. I wish them better luck next time. Their coach even broke to tears after the result :( heartbreaking.

Brazilian newspapers are so "original" using the same Ave Cesar line over and over, lol :D

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AP Sports @AP_Sports

#WorldCup match between Argentina-Switzerland testing the @Pontifex: http://apne.ws/1qv3vOa (@PCCS_VA)

BrdEcpLCMAAcds6.jpg

VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis' loyalties are being tested with Argentina's match against Switzerland at the World Cup on Tuesday.

A cartoon posted on the Twitter feed of the Vatican's social communications office showed the Argentine-born pontiff wearing a blue and white Argentina scarf over his white cassock, watching on glumly as a pair of beer-swilling Swiss Guards watch the match on TV.

The header read: "Argentina vs Switzerland :)"

The soccer-loving Francis, a lifelong fan of Argentine club San Lorenzo, has sworn to be neutral throughout the World Cup.

The winner of Tuesday's second round game in Sao Paulo, Brazil will advance to the quarterfinals of the tournament.

Nigel de Jong ruled out for Netherlands

Netherlands midfielder Nigel de Jong has been ruled out of the remainder of the 2014 World Cup with a groin injury.

De Jong, 29, was forced off nine minutes into the last 16 game against Mexico on Sunday which they won 2-1.

The Dutch face Costa Rica in the quarter-finals on Saturday, but will be without the AC Milan midfielder who had played all three of their group games.

BBC

Sorry De Jong, but like they say, "Karma is a b***" :lol:

Netherlands-de-jong.jpg

Also I guess Francis can be relieved now that Argentina won. They suffered to beat Switzerland though (then again they're known for being very defensive)

Ottmar Hitzfeld retires after Switzerland beaten by Argentina in World Cup 2014 extra-time

Ottmar Hitzfeld, one of the most successful coaches of the modern era, bowed out of football after his Switzerland side lost to Argentina in their round of 16 game at the World Cup.

Hitzfeld, who guided Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich to victory in the Champions League, said he felt “pride” at what Switzerland had achieved here, reaching the knock-out stage. “These are strong emotions, emotions you only have in football,’’ he said. “That's why we love it. Switzerland will have got sympathy from around the world and that makes us proud.

“Argentina are a great team. We know Lionel Messi in one second can decide a match. He has that quality. Then the pass and shot by Angel di Maria.” That was the combination that ended Switzerland’s World Cup and ushered Hitzfeld, 65, into retirement.

“I will go on working for TV,’’ said the German. “I don't lose when I work on TV. I will have a quiet life now. My job as a coach has finished. I'm proud of my career. I've had some marvellous teams. It's been a great honour and I have a heart full of emotion.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10939648/Ottmar-Hitzfeld-retires-after-Switzerland-beaten-by-Argentina-in-World-Cup-2014-extra-time.html

Well, it seems that the next semi-final matches were predicted by FIFA because its huge audience worldwide. Brazil versus Germany and The Netherlands versus Argentina seem very appealing to watch before the final.

I admit I'd love to see Brazil and Argentina competing for the World Cup. After all in ZA we saw to UEFA teams fighting for it, so now two CONMEBOL ones repeating that.

Pitch invader faked disability to get onto pitch during Belgium v USA clash

.whellc-135.jpg

Regular pitch-invader Mario Ferri has caused a storm with his appearance during the World Cup last-16 clash between Belgium and USA in Brazil.

At first, Ferri's display raised nothing more than the usual disinterested yawns from bystanders.

But then this video footage emerged on the internet

As you can see, it seems that Ferri only managed to pull off his pitch invasion by fraudulently talking his way into the stadium's wheelchair section.

He then abandoned his wheelchair and, taking advantage of the understandably more lax security in the wheelchair area, climbs through the fence and onto the pitch, where he showed off the following message on his t-shirt

Ferri has become notorious for charging on to the field during Serie A and Italy matches, wearing Superman t-shirts with the message ‘Cassano in the Nazionale’ emblazoned across them.

He has also worn shirts bearing a message for shot Napoli fan Ciro Esposito.

Ferri famously invaded the pitch during the 2010 World Cup semi-final between Spain and Germany in South Africa, complete with a vuvuzela.

View gallery

vuvuzela-intruder93848484.jpg

Now he has done it again, having evaded security to reach the field during the tie in Salvador de Bahia.

On this occasion he had two messages printed on a Superman shirt:

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/the-rio-report/pitch-invader-faked-disability-onto-pitch-during-belgium-103308997.html

The fact he used a false Disability to gain access to the pitch is probably the reason why the crowd went audiably nuts moments after he was apprehended. How insulting to genuine ticketholders who were actually disabled.

This was shown on the news here in NZ.

As Captain Obvious say:

"A match only finishes in the end."

In German we have two very famous 'wisdoms' in football:

"Der Ball ist rund (The ball is round)." => be prepared, since an allegedly weaker opponent can win / everything is possible in football

"Das Spiel dauert 90 Minuten (A match lasts 90 minutes)" => you can win/loose in the last second of a match

FIFA picks European, SAmerican refs for 1st QFs

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — A South American referee will work the all-European World Cup quarterfinal match on Friday, and a European will referee the all-South American clash.

FIFA says on its website that Nestor Pitana of Argentina will referee France's match against Germany.

The match at Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro opens the four-match quarterfinal program.

FIFA has picked Carlos Velasco Carballo of Spain to referee Brazil's match against Colombia in the later match in Fortaleza.

AP

http://www.journalreview.com/sports/soccer/article_57e921fd-b13c-5b72-8988-99d3ccd0fb13.html

In German we have two very famous 'wisdoms' in football:

"Der Ball ist rund (The ball is round)." => be prepared, since an allegedly weaker opponent can win / everything is possible in football

"Das Spiel dauert 90 Minuten (A match lasts 90 minutes)" => you can win/loose in the last second of a match

I love wisdoms of football!!!

If you were confident you would win.....

I'm more hopeful than confident. Brazil didn't play what they can yet. And the last game, our players were visibly psycologial affected...

Archived