Your favourite World Cup 2014 stadium?

Your favourite Word Cup 2014 stadium?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which World Cup 2014 stadium is your favourite?

• Belo Horizonte - Mineirão
    • Brasília - Estádio Nacional de Brasília
    • Cuiabá - Arena Pantanal
    • Curitiba - Arena da Baixada
    • Fortaleza - Castelão
    • Manaus - Arena da Amazônia
    • Natal - Estádio das Dunas
    • Porto Alegre - Estádio Beira-Rio
    • Recife - Arena Pernambuco
    • Rio de Janeiro - Maracanã
    • Salvador da Bahia - Arena Fonte Nova
    • São Paulo - Arena de São Paulo
  2. 2. Which World Cup 2014 stadium is your second favourite?

• Fortaleza - Castelão
  3. 3. Which World Cup 2014 stadium is your third favourite?

• Fortaleza - Castelão

-I like the spiky brutalist look of BH, and the new solar panels look cool

-like the big open modern look of SP

-and Brazillian looks so monumental, just wish it was white like I originally thought it was.

Honorable mention Manaus cuz it's in the middle of the frikkin' Amazon.

Oops I think I voted wrong...oh well.

1st = Stadium Das Dunas in Natal.

2nd = Arena Pantanal in Cuiaba.

3rd = Arena Amazonia in Manaus.

Just for fun, I will add more.

4th = National Stadium in Brasilia.

5th = Arena Pernambuco in Recife.

6th = Arena Sao Paulo in Sao Paulo.

7th = Stadium Castelao in Fortaleza.

8th = Arena Fonte Nova in Salvador.

9th = Stadium Mineirao in Belo Horizonte.

10th = Maracana Stadium in Rio De Janeiro.

11th = Stadium Beira-Rio in Porto Alegre.

12th = Arena Baixada in Curitiba.

My Name says it all about my knowledge of Architecture.

Interesting that your top 3 are all stadiums that will only host group stage matches!

Yeah, that was a coincidence. I didn't judge it on Capacity, what matches were going to be there, or footprint. I judged the Stadium solely on it's appearance and I feel Natal, Cuiaba and Manaus has the most unique appearance out of the 12. From an Architectural point of view, it and I did judge it on appearance rather than history or Capacity.

Manaus is my favorite as it was built in the most inhospitable place and used as a development program for the region with new bridges and a modern trunk power supply. Was used in a wonderful Discovery Channel series "Building the World Cup". I like how it collects it's own roof rain run off for supply to the pitch hence the huge striking channel design within the canopy.

Maracanã speaks for itself.

National Stadium is a tidy design that is copied everywhere.

Manaus is my favorite as it was built in the most inhospitable place and used as a development program for the region with new bridges and a modern trunk power supply. Was used in a wonderful Discovery Channel series "Building the World Cup". I like how it collects it's own roof rain run off for supply to the pitch hence the huge striking channel design within the canopy.

Maracanã speaks for itself.

National Stadium is a tidy design that is copied everywhere.

Manaus metro area with its 2.3 millon people (bigger than Orlando, Florida) and huge city structure is not an inhospitable place. Amazon Forest nearby is.

There are a lot of cities in the middle of inhospitable places that are not considered bad places. Manaus must be among them.

It's like saying Las Vegas or Dubai are inhospitable places as well...

Manaus metro area with its 2.3 millon people (bigger than Orlando, Florida) and huge city structure is not an inhospitable place. Amazon Forest nearby is.

There are a lot of cities in the middle of inhospitable places that are not considered bad places. Manaus must be among them.

It's like saying Las Vegas or Dubai are inhospitable places as well...

Danny, you do realize that Orlando is a pretty insignificant city outside of the theme parks.

Danny, you do realize that Orlando is a pretty insignificant city outside of the theme parks.

Probably. But would you call a city with 2+ million people an inhospitable place just because is placed in the middle.of a forest or a swamp or orange fruit farms???

The Arena Amazonia isn't as impressive as it is in the Renderings, but it's still impressive. Same applies to the National Stadium in Brasilia and the Arena Das Dunas in Natal. Again, they are still unique and impressive.

I would like to know the TOP THREE Stadiums of the World Cup 2014 - which stadium has the best architecture in your point of view? Which is your favourite, second- and your third favourite?

Can I say none? As former Curitiba mayor Jaime Lerner quipped, the whole tournament has been a colossal waste of resources, why? Because there's one thing Brazil does not lack, that's stadiums.

They should have reused and renovated as much stadiums as possible. Heck even the iconic Maracana shouldn't have been converted to that single one tier seating bowl. Why it was renovated as recently as 2007 for the Pan American Games. Why did it need to be renovated further? Not to mention become lower in capacity.

Imagine if they spent half of what they did on stadiums in renovating existing ones? The money not spent could have gone towards general infrastructure projects, that would have reduced the overall costs in those areas.

If you saw our stadiums before the World Cup you wouldn't say that.

Okay, big money was expended in 2 or 3 stadiums with big risk of become white elephants.

Apart of that, main Brazilian cities needed better places for a growing entertainment market, not to say to help reignite Brazilian Championship attendance.

This is one thing.

There weren't "colossal" waste of money just because R$8 billion were used to build stadiums (and to be paied up to 30 yrs). Just a fact R$8 bn is nothing compared to R$1.5 TRILLION of tax revenues Brazil have yearly.

Another comparision: we have a major hydroelectric plant being built right now that will cost many World Cups alone.

Brazil had a lot of infrastructure projects running before, now and some that will last long after the World Cup (railroad ring around SP, for example).

So, with all respect, what you said it's a simplistic claim. And don't forget Mr. Lerner is a politician.

I agree with Danny on this one, Manaus is far from inhospitable. The meaning of inhospitable is unwelcoming, harsh, and difficult to live and work in. Yes the population of Manaus is rather difficult in our eyes, but there's 2 million people living in the city with over 3 living in the metropolitan. And the weather is mostly terrible to those who have never dealt with that combination of heat and humidity.

Looking at Manaus' weather, it's on the same level of what Houston feels like during late spring to early fall. We get highs in the 90s with 80%+ humidity, it's unbearable sometimes but not at all inhospitable.

It's rather annoying how the media portrays Manaus as a city where there's nothing there. It's a thriving metropolitan that's been serving as a gateway for tourists into the Amazon for decades. Also the stories that the stadium will be unused after the World Cup are totally false. All stadiums are either renovated or brand new stadiums that will replace older stadiums and have their football clubs moved into the new stadiums.

I'll have to check out a few more pics to make my final decision but I think for me Manaus definitely wins on top.

The preliminary result after 17 votes:

2 points for 3rd rank

3 points for 2nd rank

4 points for 1st rank

Brasilia - 35 points

Natal - 33 points

Manaus - 21 points

Rio de Janeiro - 16 points

Salvador da Bahia - 13 points

Belo Horizonte - 10 points

Sao Paulo - 7 points

Cuiaba - 5 points

Forteleza - 5 points

Curitiba - 3 points

Porto Alegre - 3 points

Recife - 2 points

I agree with Danny on this one, Manaus is far from inhospitable. The meaning of inhospitable is unwelcoming, harsh, and difficult to live and work in. Yes the population of Manaus is rather difficult in our eyes, but there's 2 million people living in the city with over 3 living in the metropolitan. And the weather is mostly terrible to those who have never dealt with that combination of heat and humidity.

Looking at Manaus' weather, it's on the same level of what Houston feels like during late spring to early fall. We get highs in the 90s with 80%+ humidity, it's unbearable sometimes but not at all inhospitable.

It's rather annoying how the media portrays Manaus as a city where there's nothing there. It's a thriving metropolitan that's been serving as a gateway for tourists into the Amazon for decades. Also the stories that the stadium will be unused after the World Cup are totally false. All stadiums are either renovated or brand new stadiums that will replace older stadiums and have their football clubs moved into the new stadiums.

Perfect.

About the stadium, Manaus don't have any big clubs in the city and they are planing to make Arena Amazonia a multi-purpose arena, since the city is big and a major industrial city for the country and have demand for shows, conventions, fairs...

How is the Arena Pernambuco last? I know it's down to personal preference, but as someone who loves, enjoys and has Architectural Design as a Hobby, Arena Pernambuco is one of the most unique and beautiful Stadiums of the 2014 Fifa World Cup.

I think the only duds here are Fortoleza, Recife, and Belo Horizonte (I understand this one has history but alas).

Sao's Paulo's size, openness, and dramatic steepness and arches make for a fantastic venue. Truly worthy of being that city's stadium.

Brasilia and Salvador have looked really great on television, particularly the former's round roof overhead and the latter's location next to a lagoon.

Natal and Manaus are striking and have taken on iconic fame in this World Cup, hosting some incredible matches each.

Porto Allegre's roof resembles leaves to me... wonderful.

Curitiba's interior is like a smaller San Siro. And I love the lighting, columns, and grass near at the corners of Cuiaba's stadium.

Maracana is... well, Maracana. I have particularly loved the aerial shots of Christ The Redeemer with the stadium far below. Amazing! Bring on 2016!

Perfect.About the stadium, Manaus don't have any big clubs in the city and they are planing to make Arena Amazonia a multi-purpose arena, since the city is big and a major industrial city for the country and have demand for shows, conventions, fairs...

Danny I didn't mean to offend with my "inhospitable" context, which seems to imply the city its self. I was implying more the jungle region Manaus is located in AND the portrayal of the region by international media even years before the WC. It's not to be taken in a negative light. As the British media said, to get there safely you need to fly in or take the river ferries up into the region. I certainly wouldn't want to be stranded out there.

If you saw our stadiums before the World Cup you wouldn't say that.

Okay, big money was expended in 2 or 3 stadiums with big risk of become white elephants.

Apart of that, main Brazilian cities needed better places for a growing entertainment market, not to say to help reignite Brazilian Championship attendance.

This is one thing.

There weren't "colossal" waste of money just because R$8 billion were used to build stadiums (and to be paied up to 30 yrs). Just a fact R$8 bn is nothing compared to R$1.5 TRILLION of tax revenues Brazil have yearly.

Another comparision: we have a major hydroelectric plant being built right now that will cost many World Cups alone.

Brazil had a lot of infrastructure projects running before, now and some that will last long after the World Cup (railroad ring around SP, for example).

So, with all respect, what you said it's a simplistic claim. And don't forget Mr. Lerner is a politician.

So you guys should have still stuck to renovating existing stadiums, rather than demolishing them an building new ones. Maracana was fine prior to the World Cup and had a larger capacity. It did not need to be "modernized" whatsoever.

Danny I didn't mean to offend with my "inhospitable" context, which seems to imply the city its self. I was implying more the jungle region Manaus is located in AND the portrayal of the region by international media even years before the WC. It's not to be taken in a negative light. As the British media said, to get there safely you need to fly in or take the river ferries up into the region. I certainly wouldn't want to be stranded out there.

I know Alex, but, sorry, you are wrong.

There are several big cities in the planet with tougher weather. Even World Cup matches in the USA in 1994 where hotter and with more humidity. I was reading about Brazil vs. Netherlands in Dallas, with temperatures feeling like 35ºC...

The forest around Manaus, of course, changes the climate if you compare with those in Spain or England, but are World Cup matches to be held only in places Europeans feel comfy?

About how "isolated" Manaus is. What if I tell you there is a major highway linking Manaus to Roraima State and Venezuela (check google maps - there is indeed Street View on it)?

From Manaus to Caribbean without Toll Plazas :rolleyes:

br-174.jpg

Not to mention in a place with thousand of rivers, some as wide as seas, why not use boats instead of cars to reach other cities and states?

Grand-Amazon-500x219.jpg

And more, Brazilian Govt is working (ok, delayed as hell) to finish the works of Porto Velho-Manaus BR-319 Highway to finally link Manaus to "rest of the country" by road.

So you guys should have still stuck to renovating existing stadiums, rather than demolishing them an building new ones. Maracana was fine prior to the World Cup and had a larger capacity. It did not need to be "modernized" whatsoever.

I agree in part for some stadiums. And, well, Beira-Rio, Curitiba's, Mineirão, Castelão were only renovations actually.

Not to forget FIFA didn't allow Maracana to be used as it is for PanAms because of "visibility issues" and others.

You have no idea the hell FIFA made with their requirements to reach the so-called "FIFA standards".

All in all, I'm still impressed at how they built the stadium, bringing the roof superstructure over from Portugal, and it's near zero environmental footprint. It was a wonderful series they showed about Manaus, and if you haven't notice elsewhere, it's a very popular stadium here on GB Forums.

All in all, I'm still impressed at how they built the stadium, bringing the roof superstructure over from Portugal, and it's near zero environmental footprint. It was a wonderful series they showed about Manaus, and if you haven't notice elsewhere, it's a very popular stadium here on GB Forums.

I know, I also like Arena Amazonia. And about the roof structure they brought it from Portugal by ocean and then by river, the wider one in the planet (Amazon River) with no problems. Actually, the trip was shorter because of it.

One thing I oberserved here is people think since Manaus is "isolated" and in "the middle of jungle", Manaus is a poor city or the poorest capital in Brazil.

The fact is Manaus is the 6th richest and the poorer areas of Brazil are actually in drylands at inner Northeastern Region of the country.

Manaus

DSC04597.jpg

Av7setembro.jpg

OgAAAJIZCLwmaYd13Fr7MUJk3dM4LZOsHW5wib1E

208836_447120018701162_1888921942_n.jpg

volvo-manaus.jpg?7b9dd8

Manaus-Metropole.jpg

That's Manaus, guys

Archived