• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Morning guys!!!

Picture from Brasilia today!

23523.jpg

President Juscelino Kubitschek Bridge

Anxious for some remarks about this...

The announcement of "End of The World" for the World Cup in Brazil didn't last 3 days.

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/poder/2014/06/1474285-prenuncio-de-que-copa-seria-o-fim-do-mundo-nao-aguentou-3-dias.shtml

The cover of the German magazine "Der Spiegel", brought in big letters "Death and games - Brazil before the World Cup," a ball in flames as a meteor fell on the country.
All British tabloids warned that fans risked their lives to travel to Brazil, and that London had been asked to host the 2016 Olympic Games in place of Rio
The correspondent of the "New York Times," Simon Romero, announced on the front page that the delayed and deadly works of stadiums symbolized the end of the "great ambitions" of Brazil.
Cup started, however, the end of the world as announced by almost six months could not take three days.
On Saturday (14), the largest and most independent news agency, Reuters, reported that foreign fans were happy to find everything up and that the protests were small.
Since before the beggining of the World Cup actually, tweets from celebrities and journalists came the oddity of not finding the chaos imagined to arrive in the country.
The increasing quality of games weighed in mood change.
Further analysis said they could even help.
The mixture of goals with ready infrastructure stifled what little there was of protests in the country.
At the end of the first week of games, and the verdict came balances. The correspondent of the "Times", Sam Borden, reported that the "doomsday predictions give rise to minor hiccups".
Stadiums that "never" would be ready, had already received games - and their problems were only visible wires or some painted grass.
The British tabloids, which previously warned of violence in Brazil, highlighted a TV commentator hastily left the Cup after a violent robbery at his home in England.
Still questioned an high advisor of the British government which had recommended to avoid trip to host of the World Cup and who now appeared in photos in Brazil partying.
Before the tournament, an expert at King's College had predicted that the overly negative coverage would reduce expectations and would reversing at the end in positive evaluation.
The reversal happened not only earlier than expected, but to a greater extent.
Danny 1-0 International Media
-_-

Good Morning guys!!!

Picture from Brasilia today!

23523.jpg

President Juscelino Kubitschek Bridge

Anxious for some remarks about this...

The announcement of "End of The World" for the World Cup in Brazil didn't last 3 days.

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/poder/2014/06/1474285-prenuncio-de-que-copa-seria-o-fim-do-mundo-nao-aguentou-3-dias.shtml

The cover of the German magazine "Der Spiegel", brought in big letters "Death and games - Brazil before the World Cup," a ball in flames as a meteor fell on the country.
All British tabloids warned that fans risked their lives to travel to Brazil, and that London had been asked to host the 2016 Olympic Games in place of Rio
The correspondent of the "New York Times," Simon Romero, announced on the front page that the delayed and deadly works of stadiums symbolized the end of the "great ambitions" of Brazil.
Cup started, however, the end of the world as announced by almost six months could not take three days.
On Saturday (14), the largest and most independent news agency, Reuters, reported that foreign fans were happy to find everything up and that the protests were small.
Since before the beggining of the World Cup actually, tweets from celebrities and journalists came the oddity of not finding the chaos imagined to arrive in the country.
The increasing quality of games weighed in mood change.
Further analysis said they could even help.
The mixture of goals with ready infrastructure stifled what little there was of protests in the country.
At the end of the first week of games, and the verdict came balances. The correspondent of the "Times", Sam Borden, reported that the "doomsday predictions give rise to minor hiccups".
Stadiums that "never" would be ready, had already received games - and their problems were only visible wires or some painted grass.
The British tabloids, which previously warned of violence in Brazil, highlighted a TV commentator hastily left the Cup after a violent robbery at his home in England.
Still questioned an high advisor of the British government which had recommended to avoid trip to host of the World Cup and who now appeared in photos in Brazil partying.
Before the tournament, an expert at King's College had predicted that the overly negative coverage would reduce expectations and would reversing at the end in positive evaluation.
The reversal happened not only earlier than expected, but to a greater extent.
Danny 1-0 International Media
-_-

So, can't we say it was on purpose?

Waiting Voldemort remarks over the news I posted.

I don't expect anything less than "Yes, I must be more aware of what I read in the media".

Specially in the international media regarding the reality of a country you know nothing about. To make it even worse, there were at least 4 locals here saying otherwise and being pictured as naive.

You were still building the staidums two weeks before the event. You're doing well and this has been a stunning world cup so far, but there's no cause for smugness about the preparations which were cut fine. For every report which sensationalised the problems, there were ten which were reporting on exactly what was going on, and since you had FIFA making public statements of concern all the way up to the week before kick off I'm not sure what you expected the world's media to report.

As I said, Brazil is putting on a great show now, despite everything. So just enjoy it. B)

You were still building the staidums two weeks before the event. You're doing well and this has been a stunning world cup so far, but there's no cause for smugness about the preparations which were cut fine. For every report which sensationalised the problems, there were ten which were reporting on exactly what was going on, and since you had FIFA making public statements of concern all the way up to the week before kick off I'm not sure what you expected the world's media to report.

As I said, Brazil is putting on a great show now, despite everything. So just enjoy it. B)

Rob, for every accurate report there were 1,000 inaccurate. That's the accurate proportion.

And from some posters here there were NONE*.

Not to mention the thousands of "Will Brazil be ready for World Cup?"

Answer: Yes we were ready in the end.

Where is the chaotic organization?

Where is crowded and aging airports?

Stadiums that would never be ready?

People being mugged at falling in pieces subway stations?

Where is all the crime? Anacondas eating innocent tourists in Manaus? Yellow fever and whatever diseases invented?

All media provided were inaccurate reports based in old stereotypes to destroy the image of a developing country - that have lots of good and bad things living together.

And worse, no matter how many updated pictures we posted here, how many things from local POV we posted, many of us Brazilian were called naive several times....

With all respect, it's our time to say: give more credit to local POV over sensationalised media.

:)

(*Of course you are not included)

I suspect most English media wanted Brazil to fail, but not out of anything against Brazil itself - more to get a kind of revenge against FIFA over 2018. I think they wanted FIFA to fail, even if that meant Brazil going down with them. Thankfully, it hasn't failed, & we could be looking at the best WC ever for goals & atmosphere. The England team is another story ;)

Danny,

With the exception of one particular child, I think most people here know to ignore the media, or treat it as entertainment. Your anger and push back towards the media just gives it more seriousness than it deserves. And to gloat when the media stories turn out to be wrong... might as well gloat every time Jennifer Aniston (Kate Middleton... whatever the Brazilian equivalent) turns out to not be pregnant.

The thing is, things haven't been perfect. There is constant worry about the quality of the pitches, security issues, issues with temporary structures. Lack of taking responsibility on the part of the different levels of government. This has not been a smooth, worry-free World Cup. Brazil is lucky that the quality of the matches is helping to camouflage the various issues. But, the thing is this is Brazil. If FIFA and the World wanted clinical precision and sterile environments they would have gone to China. Brazil is doing things their way and the tournament is coming off and across as Brazil being Brazil. Warts and all. I don't think anyone would have it any other way.

Danny,

With the exception of one particular child, I think most people here know to ignore the media, or treat it as entertainment. Your anger and push back towards the media just gives it more seriousness than it deserves. And to gloat when the media stories turn out to be wrong... might as well gloat every time Jennifer Aniston (Kate Middleton... whatever the Brazilian equivalent) turns out to not be pregnant.

I know that was directed at me. Since the 2014 Fifa World Cup has started, I haven't spoke about the Media, even with the Maracana Media Centre incident. I think yourself and Danny are looking for trouble, because you constantly bring my name into it, without saying my name, but it's obvious it's directed towards me. I suggest that you enjoy the World Cup and if you dislike Media, don't watch the News and don't read newspapers. No Media is perfect. Even Brazilian Media isn't perfect. There has been some trouble, but you can expect that anywhere (Object thrown at ITV's Media Room, Protests, Fireworks in Stadiums and some Fans breaking into the Maracana's Media Centre). Just enjoy the World Cup, instead of constantly making remarks. Brazil's Preparations weren't perfect, but also ALL (International Media) did exaggerate at times.

I know that was directed at me. Since the 2014 Fifa World Cup has started, I haven't spoke about the Media, even with the Maracana Media Centre incident. I think yourself and Danny are looking for trouble, because you constantly bring my name into it, without saying my name, but it's obvious it's directed towards me. I suggest that you enjoy the World Cup and if you dislike Media, don't watch the News and don't read newspapers. No Media is perfect. Even Brazilian Media isn't perfect. There has been some trouble, but you can expect that anywhere (Object thrown at ITV's Media Room, Protests, Fireworks in Stadiums and some Fans breaking into the Maracana's Media Centre). Just enjoy the World Cup, instead of constantly making remarks. Brazil's Preparations weren't perfect, but also ALL (International Media) did exaggerate at times.

Tony gets a like for this. Because he's right. For all the squabbles we've had over what the media is reporting and whether they're right or not, who really cares. Like zeke said, we know better than to take media reports at face value with something like this. I think we all should have learned that from following Sochi. This happens with a lot of these big sports events.. media come in with their expectations based on what they witnessed (or selectively cared to witness) during the lead-up, make it out to be a big story, and then forget about it once the event starts so all we're left with is what they told everyone beforehand. As noted, there have been incidents, but let's be honest that what has gone on in terms of off the field issues have probably been a lot less than what some were expecting, particularly those in the media who were probably rooting for those types of shenanigans so it would give them more to report on.

Now that England are out, I don't know whether to root for Holland or Greece to Win the 2014 Fifa World Cup. I usually always root for Holland in Tournaments, only if England get knocked out obviously. But Greece are my Sweepstakes Team.

"Just don't read media"

"We know how to separate sensationalism from real news"

"Who cares about news posted here?"

"the WC have been not perfect"

After ruining all the lead up to the event here in the threads, after every single time I was called naive or liar, after all times I read "shame" about any small thing in Brazil, now everything is justified?

Tony is right???????? So his behaviour (and not only his) posting ridiculous news that you guys "knew it was not real" was right because the event in Brazil is not perfect (with minor incidents pretty much like any big event like this, since there were no perfect event)

Amazing!!!

Nothing was learned and 2016 Olympic lead-up will be pretty much the same...

Archived