FIFA World Cup: Day 5 Live Chat

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HAHAHAHAHA! It's hardly because of that. :lol: The US is one of the countries with more tickets to this cup and tons of american fans are everywhere. Plus, Natal served as an American air base during WWII (Parnamirim Field) and old people there still hold some memories of that time. Brazil is usually more Africa-friendly because of our strong cultural ties.

Besides Victor's accurate point, Latin Americans, besides those who live there, don't usually cheer a lot for the US...

Or maybe they were once connected... *cough* Pangaea *cough**maybe because they were once connected

Family Guy did a funny skit over the S American continent splitting away from the African piece of Pangaea...Africa says " hey where are you going?" S America replies "just gonna stand over here for a bit, get some fresh air and all" in a funny voice that says no chance comming back.

It was actually Peter I of Brazil who declared the indepedence. He did it with the support of the local elite, who did not enjoy much the request from the Portuguese liberals to return Brazil to a colonial status.

The declaration of independence was seen by some historians as a ploy to later restablish a unified Portuguese empire. Since Peter was the rightful heir of the Portuguese throne, he could claim it once his father died. According to this historians, his father engineered this ploy, which would be an evidence that John VI was not the idiotic figure normally portrayed in history books.

The problem was that Peter turned his back on the local elite and his brother Michael, insulflated by his mother Carlota Joaquina, promoted a coup d´etat in Portugal and was crowned king.

When Peter lost the support of the local elite he ended up resigning from his Brazilian crown and fleeing to Portugal to fight his brother and became King Peter IV of Portugal.

After his death his son Peter, became Emperor Peter II of Brazil and his daughter Maria became the Queen of Portugal. From then on, the Bragança dynasty had split lines of succession in Brazil and Portugal, ruining the original plan to unify the former Portuguese empire.

You right, it was Peter I, I messed up because of subway station I always write...

And, of course, the history you posted here, more complete, is totally right. I made a "quick-funny" version of it. =]

estacao-Pedro-II.jpg

USA wins!!! \o/

Celebrating here!

Iran vs. Nigeria yesterday

10344094_10153178468944572_5643313597315

Danny is this mainly a temporary structure or some permanence to it. Looks like heavy scaffold built over a smaller future structure....Cool design though.

Danny is this mainly a temporary structure or some permanence to it. Looks like heavy scaffold built over a smaller future structure....Cool design though.

Permanent structure mostly. Only the tent in the front seems to be temporary.

Archived