Four Cities Make USOC 2024 Bid Shortlist

GBModerator

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I personally adore San Francisco (probably my favourite American city) I just dont see it as a good fit for the Olympics. Similarly, Berlin is also one of my favourite cities in the world, but I'd hate to see the SOG return there.

Los Angeles and Boston appeal to me for different reasons - and Washington DC is the dark horse.

+ oh my god that Boston 2024 logo has got to be one of the worst bid logos in recent times? The designer was briefed that this is for an Olympic Games bid, and not for a pharmaceutical company?

I think San Francisco would be the most scenic, and maybe they could get silicon valley behind a bid too?

Looks like Boston is more focused on their contemporary points, rather than the city's cultural aspects (at least according to the logo...).

+ oh my god that Boston 2024 logo has got to be one of the worst bid logos in recent times? The designer was briefed that this is for an Olympic Games bid, and not for a pharmaceutical company?

The skyline featured on the homepage is the Cambridge skyline rather than the Boston skyline. I wonder if there might've been a mixup with some Kendall Square biotech firm. :P

I don't know what SF's plan is...as the America's Cup isn't even returning there. R they really going to use the 49er stadium all the way down in Santa Clara...where I don't even see how they can accommodate a warm-up track & another stadium beside the new one...not unless they tear up one of the parking lots????

I'm with zeke on this one.. why do we assume San Francisco has a plan. Because they made it to the next round? Does DC have a plan? Does Boston? To bernham's point, right now electability counts for more than anything. I'd bet anything that if New York hadn't officially nixed an Olympic bid, they'd be in this next round as well simply because they're New York.

Here's what we know about San Francisco..

San Francisco On US Shortlist For 2024 Olympics Bid

And Mayor Ed Lee appears to feel he's up to the challenge—in a written statement, Lee says that "For the last year, a small group of civic leaders with deep Olympic ties and experience have held quiet, preliminary discussions with the USOC about the City and region’s potential to once again bid for the Olympic and Paralympic Games and return them to the United States in 2024...I enthusiastically support taking the next step toward exploring a potential San Francisco Bay Area bid for the 2024 Games."

Purdy: San Francisco Olympics in 2024 unlikely

In fairness, Lee did do a little groundwork. He assembled a few people to examine the Olympic possibilities. The group includes Anne Cribbs, who worked so strenuously and passionately to help assemble Bay Area bids for the 2012 and 2016 Games -- both of which ultimately failed.

"It's really preliminary," said Cribbs of this potential bid. "It's all just exploratory."

So yea, doesn't sound like a plan to me. Sounds like there's interest. And sounds like there are some knowledgable people working on it. But this sounds a lot like what we've heard with Boston, that their efforts are still in the exploratory stages and that a solid plan has yet to come together. The USOC probably sees potential, so they keep them in the discussion in order to see what they can produce. Especially in the case of San Francisco, they were in this twice before. That 1 of the key people in that is still around, why not give them a shot to see what they can offer.

Archived