FIFA World Cup Opening Match Live Chat

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:D Ahhh haa haaa!...well considering the hard time the British press has given Brazil over the last few weeks.

That's not fair! Not all British media is bad. :(

It's fairly obvious to me they watched the two hour build up and just wanted to let Adrian Chiles know what they thought of it.

Whatever.

I'm just in a foul mood at the moment. So i'll avoid posting for now.

Relax, Ikarus, one more bad call for penalty in the history of football. World Cup goes on... Enjoy the great matches tomorrow

:D Ahhh haa haaa!...well considering the hard time the British press has given Brazil over the last few weeks.!

How's that for karma?

As for the game, it provided some great background for my nap. I'm telling you, they need to put soccer games as a setting on white noise machines. I woke up to all this officiating controversy so their must have been a bad call, which I'll probably see a replay of tonight on SportsCentre.

Other than that, I no more enjoy soccer than I did 2 hours ago.

It's fairly obvious to me they watched the two hour build up and just wanted to let Adrian Chiles know what they thought of it.

Like! (I've reached my quota for the day).

There is no excuses to attack journalists working. This is something I'm really sad to know.

There is no excuses to attack journalists working. This is something I'm really sad to know.

Indeed. They are way over all the limits... I am really glad that people here started to realize that using violence is not a valid way to protest. Today these groups were really isolated. I've even read that in Copacabana people started to throw eggs on them to stop their lousy protest.

Indeed. They are way over all the limits... I am really glad that people here started to realize that using violence is not a valid way to protest. Today these groups were really isolated. I've even read that in Copacabana people started to throw eggs on them to stop their lousy protest.

The real Brazilians are tired of rioting. I do support "carrying banners" march protests. Any kind of violence must be punished by Police

I know you work in the industry Danny but you don't need to apologies for Brazil.

Journos know what they are in for when they encounter such passionate fans. It's part and parcel to the job. Although hearing an object slamming into a window, even if it doesn't break, would be startling! But they are professional and will get over it.

Well, they're not journalists. It was the TV team....the host and three retired footballers (Vierra, Dixon, Cannevaro) Bp9u3q2CcAASZU8.jpg

Thank goodness fod armour plated glass then?

I didn't see that, that'll become one of those priceless WC moments here.

Not really a laughing matter though, TBF. As for the dive/pen, trust me, that's nothing special. Refs get conned like that week in, week out in the Prem & other leagues. Sometimes a player is in the right place, the ref sees clearly & gives a yellow. Most of the time though, the players are so experienced in 'simulation' that they know every trick in the book to trick the ref, who's in a very difficult position needing to make a crucial decision in a split second. That's made even harder by having 60000 home fans screaming at you, so home advantage may have helped, but again that's nothing special, it happens everywhere, just sometimes the home team has a chance of going all the way (Manchester United are a great example, they used to get a dodgy decision or 2 go their way in almost every game at Old Trafford under SAF).

Just to add, I've seen penalties & free kicks given for far more blatant dives than that - at least there was some contact with Fred, even though it was tiny.

First of all: Isn't it actually a good sign if we have several pages of engaged discussion by people from around the world about just one single football match? This shows that football simply is a sport that excites emotions - and that therefore, despite all the sh*t surrounding it (F***ing FIFA being the best example), one still has to love that sport.

Secondly, I'm also rather cool about the referee's mistake leading to the 2-1. Croatia was a serious opponent for Brazil, but Brazil was very much up to winning that match anyway. I think it's a deserved victory, regardless of which way you turn the match. Brazil has no time for complacency, but judging by all we know about the teams in group A, they now have probably already played against their fiercest opponent in their group and can be quite hopeful to reach the knock-out stage.

For now, I'm more interested, however, how events will turn out in that monstrous group B that plays its first matches tomorrow. I mean, Spain against the Netherlands against Chile against Australia - that constellation still makes my mouth dry. ;) Poor Aussies (the clear outsiders in group B) already have to play a final tomorrow, with the even worse finals against the Netherlands and Spain still waiting in the wings. It will be very interesting to see how Spaniards and Dutch meet again for the first time after that 2010 final, one of the nastiest finals in World Cup history. So I guess the real dramas are still waiting for us tomorrow - and probably on quite a few others of the next 31 days! ;)

B) should actually be a "B )"

By the way, I just read in a report in German by Spiegel Online that apparently there was a glitch in the stunt with the quadriplegic man and his kick-off. The report says that originally it was planned that the guy should walk to the centre of the field and kick the ball from there. So even if that opening ceremony had no Olympic proportions in terms of extravaganza, it certainly had Olympic proportions in terms of major glitches (remembering, for example, Sochi's ring failure and Vancouver's stuck cauldron trap door). ;)

By the way, I just read in a report in German by Spiegel Online that apparently there was a glitch in the stunt with the quadriplegic man and his kick-off. The report says that originally it was planned that the guy should walk to the centre of the field and kick the ball from there. So even if that opening ceremony had no Olympic proportions in terms of extravaganza, it certainly had Olympic proportions in terms of major glitches (remembering, for example, Sochi's ring failure and Vancouver's stuck cauldron trap door). ;)

Impossible... Fifa gave them 25 seconds! He would never reach the center of the field.

Stupid question from a casual fan.... why not two referees?

Also, the Brazilian one-name thing is cool when you have an awesome name like Ronaldinho. But Fred? Fred??????

Video Ref as a referral, but like in Lawn Hockey, with limits.

Impossible... Fifa gave them 25 seconds! He would never reach the center of the field.

I guess the segment was simply cut shorter spontaneously, as soon as they noticed that his contraption doesn't work as planned.

This Austrian report (in German) which was published before the opening ceremony also states that the man should walk 25 steps and then kick the ball: http://www.news.at/a/wm-2014-eroeffnungsshow-jennifer-lopez

Final paragraph, here's the rough Google translation:

A very special premiere waits in the Corinthians stadium on a paraplegic patient: He is using a special robot suit developed by scientists - a so-called exoskeleton - walk 25 steps and symbolic kick-start the World Cup ball "Brazuca". The movements are controlled solely by brain activity. The demonstration is part of the international project "Andar de Novo" (re-run), to which 156 researchers, engineers and technicians under the direction of Brazilian neuroscientist Miguel Nicolelis are involved.

Archived