No golden World Cup legacy for South Africa

LOUIS

Interesting... Although an issue that not only South Africa is dealing with.Look at a lot of the Olympic sports structures in Athens.... Quite sad really.

• Like 1

This isn't going to look good in South Africa's resume. They'll look at the different components of their previous experience (namely the WC) and everything seems fine and dandy until they reach the legacy section. This may actually be viewed as poor planning to some groups, which could potentially harm future bids :unsure: Best of luck SA.... Best of luck...

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting... Although an issue that not only South Africa is dealing with.Look at a lot of the Olympic sports structures in Athens.... Quite sad really.

I suppose this is what many in Brazil fear in three weeks time. It always looked like Soccer City was going to be the "favoured" legacy of 2010 while Durban's magnificent stadium is legacied for something else.

Yes some of this is sad, but this does happen everywhere else.

Interesting I can remembering Durban Sandshark giving us Kiwi members a ribbing over why we were building temporary stands in our current venues for the Rubgy World Cup in '11, yet here we are with stadiums that are back down to their realistic capacities for seadon to season use and no issues except for plans for new facilities for the future. Not what to do with abandoned structures from a glorious past.

thats is a really poorly researched article. Soccer City that they are calling out as the "star" is one of the few stadiums that DOES NOT release any state of its financials. Durban and Cape Town both clearly release business information on their stadiums as part of their municipal spending. So there is no way at all to verify the claim made on Soccer City.

Additionally, if we look at the activity of events in all of the stadiums it is actually the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban that is the most busy - hosting most of the Cup finals in SA football (Two alone to sold out crowds in May) and busy on a daily basis with tourists and locals (going up its arch in the cable car, jumping off the worlds highest swing on the arch, using its array of retail facilities, gyms, high performance centre). Just this weekend it hosted the Top Gear Festival, below.

Togetha-Top-Gear-Festival-Durban.jpg

Also look at its website and events calendar (http://www.mmstadium.com/), a FAR cry from the website and information available on any of the other stadiums in the country - Soccer City (http://www.stadiummanagement.co.za/fnb-stadium.html); Cape Town Stadium (http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/capetownstadium2/Pages/default.aspx)

I am not saying that work does not need to be done to make the stadiums perform better - it definately does. But i wish journalists at supposedly reputable news outlets did more research!

And the Nedbank Cup final in May

KS-17651.jpg

KS-19141.jpg

I could go on and on and on. If the stadium can just get the rugby side to move over as well (from the stadium right next door), then the issues will be gone. Yes the stadium could be doing better, but it is undoubtably the most active in SA post the world cup.

• 4 months later...

I find the gigantism of the World Cup even sadder than the Olympics in some ways- so many 'same' stadiums in so many cities now ....... the Olympics in a major city (lets say my city Sydney) delivers a major stadium, aquatic centre, velodrome, a few big halls... all facilities a major city should have and can use

But how many countries have 10 cities in need of state of the art, large FIFA rated soccer stadiums? Most stadiums are only used for THREE matches during the tournament! Don't start me on Qatar!

I find the gigantism of the World Cup even sadder than the Olympics in some ways- so many 'same' stadiums in so many cities now ....... the Olympics in a major city (lets say my city Sydney) delivers a major stadium, aquatic centre, velodrome, a few big halls... all facilities a major city should have and can use

But how many countries have 10 cities in need of state of the art, large FIFA rated soccer stadiums? Most stadiums are only used for THREE matches during the tournament! Don't start me on Qatar!

Actually four or five matches but yeah, you have a point. In theory it would be easier in many countries to find 10 stadiums in different cities than building all kinds of rare venues such as BMX arenas in only one city but FIFA's requirements are often excessive and demand new or totally renovated, oversized stadiums instead of using existing ones.

• 3 weeks later...

The International Rugby Board seems to be following down FIFAs path of core group stadiums. But at least they are still focussing on making use of what is there already. They do require at least one stadium of 60pax and two of 40pax, but this is soon to move to 70pax and 50pax respectively.

What I hope for South Africa is they are not distracted by a 2024 Olympic bid too much as there is also a move to host the 2023 RWC and that would reinvigorate what will be some forgotten 2010 legacies.